Sign in with
Your question

Fraps Seriously Kills my FPS

Last response: in Video Games
February 15, 2012 9:56:47 PM

Hey guys, I have had this problem for a while and decided to upgrade my pc and try and fix it (I was already going to upgrade it). Pretty much, no matter what game I play, fraps always takes my framerate down by about 30 fps. I have made sure that fraps is supposed to lock at 60 frames, but it drops all the way down to around 25-50. I have done multiple things to try and fix this, I pretty much tried everything fraps has to offer, so im pretty much stuck here now and was hoping you guys could help.

Here are my PC specs, it is obviously a great computer.

HD Radeon 6850 Gigabyte in Crossfire.
16 Gigs of ram. Pretty much all unused (just re-installed windows)
Amd Phenom x6 II 1075 T (6 Cpu's) 3.0 GHZ
1200 Watt power supply
Fans. :3

I think that's all I need to list, thanks.

More about : fraps kills fps

February 16, 2012 12:11:20 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Other Consumer Electronics to section Video Games by Pyree
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:01:37 AM

Take off vsync?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 11:37:18 AM

I took off vsync, didn't help. I also made sure EVERY driver was updated and that all the old ones were deleted.
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:48:21 AM

Yep FRAPS will do that. It constantly writes to the harddrive as well as compressing the video.

Either use a built in recorder for the game then use FRAPS to record that footage or drop the settings down.
m
l
February 17, 2012 1:12:50 PM

drops all the way down to 25-50, umm, that's kind of a huge range that it drops down to, big difference between 50 and 25... I think you meant 30 instead of 50?

anyways, you didn't mention anything about your hard drives. if you're running everything with 1 single HDD, I'd recommend you get a second one just for fraps raw storage. Trust me if you're recording at high res, it puts major strain on HDD, if you got programs running from the same drive it's not a pretty story.

Also, your x6 (lol 6 cpu's XD ) is it overclocked? if not, you might want to look into that. Last time I checked fraps runs on 1 core, so the higher clock you can get the better it will run.
m
l
February 19, 2012 8:12:27 PM

What hard-drive do you have?

I don't use Fraps, but can you set it to record to an external drive, memory stick e.t.c.? It will require some power to transcode, but your CPU is more than sufficient. Fraps does, however, transfer lots of information to the Hard-drive, which may slow your game down, because the Hard-disk can only read and write so much data per second and Fraps will nearly (or entirely) saturate that limit.
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:15:11 PM

fyi you have your cpu as a 6 cpu, its 6 cores not cpu's.

i second the overclock and second hard drive.
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:09:27 PM

fraps is known for killing fps when recording, if its for youtube dont worry youtube only does 30fps videos
m
l
February 22, 2012 5:27:26 AM

I've heard if you record to a different HDD than the one the game/OS is on, it won't be nearly as bad. I'm sure due to it using the CPU there may be some performance decrease, but this way it wont be trying to write to the same HDD the game is running off of.

I haven't tried this out, so let me know if you do. I'm curios as to what the answer is.
m
l
February 22, 2012 5:29:12 AM

Pooface mcgillicutty!
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:59:28 PM

Sorry guys I didn't have my PC for a while. I have 2 harddrives with 1TB in each. 1.5 TB is available for me to use. I run at a high resolution (i always forget the exact resolution, but it's the best for a 200 dollar monitor). Yes I run at 6 cores, not 6 cpu's that was my fault for putting that lol. I also used bandicam, works better so it might just be a fact that fraps kind of sucks. Not to mention I am having serious GPU problems, which might be causing it.
m
l
December 9, 2012 12:54:28 AM

Fraps does not suck, it just needs the right setup. In this video they even show you the difference a Hard Drive makes when recording gameplay. It is amazing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGDgzlc7mA
m
l
December 9, 2012 3:24:21 AM

coming back to this 8 months later, you should try dxtory or msiafterburner. afterburner is free but isnt strait quality but i only get about 5 fps drops in games even bf3 all tho sometimes a recording is quite choppy,(but hey its free) and from what i hear dxtory is one of the better recording software because there is also very low fps drop
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:31:03 AM

+1 Using Dxtory!
m
l
December 9, 2012 6:01:23 PM

probably shouldnt dig up a thread that died 8 months ago guys. the OP is most likely not around anymore.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:58:52 PM

I had a lot of problems with fraps unless you have a godly PC good luck recording 60 fps at full size I suggest getting Dxtory setting it to record at 1280x720 at 30fps and getting a good codec for it(I recommend getting x264).
m
l
December 10, 2012 2:27:49 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
probably shouldnt dig up a thread that died 8 months ago guys. the OP is most likely not around anymore.

OP might not be around, but other people who search the forums and net for solutions are.... so it is still useful to provide more information I think.
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:15:14 PM

^^exactly why i still replied
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:09:24 PM

Yeah happens to me as well....I play skyrim at 60fps as soon as I hit record on Fraps it goes down to 30FPS or below.....
m
l
December 13, 2012 4:59:13 PM

forgive my ignorance if i am wrong but if the HDD is bringing down performance when running fraps and you have only a single HDD can you not use a pendrive and record the videos to it..you can transfer it later to your HDD.
edit: i just saw that someone else already mentioned this :whistle: 
m
l
December 13, 2012 7:34:58 PM

nix327 said:
forgive my ignorance if i am wrong but if the HDD is bringing down performance when running fraps and you have only a single HDD can you not use a pendrive and record the videos to it..you can transfer it later to your HDD.
edit: i just saw that someone else already mentioned this :whistle: 

pendrives are way to slow
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:24:25 PM

You need a hard disk to write to. Not a memory card or usb, because that is real slow. Would SSDs be any help?
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:57:59 PM

ssds are very good for recording
m
l
December 13, 2012 9:54:33 PM

Then if you can afford one, get a dedicated SSD which you use for saving your videos to. That might help the gameplay performance a lot.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:01:51 PM

for general gaming an i5 and an hdd will do but if your a hardgamer and want to record you wanna use an i7 with a dedicated ssd just for video storage ,the ssd will write it faster and the hyperthreading on the i7 will decimate the compression if you choose to do so. also a high end video card would help alot
m
l
August 9, 2013 4:00:45 AM

WiredKill said:
I took off vsync, didn't help. I also made sure EVERY driver was updated and that all the old ones were deleted.

DXtory is wwwaaaaayyyyyy better.
With FRAPs i found i lost 20/30 fps. with DXtory and the right codec, i loose 3 or 4 frames
m
l
August 9, 2013 4:46:56 AM

69ingChipmunkzz said:
WiredKill said:

With FRAPs i found i lost 20/30 fps. with DXtory and the right codec, i loose 3 or 4 frames

this is the truth talking
m
l
August 9, 2013 9:16:07 PM

Ok, if the OP needed more help, he would've posted back. Necroposting is against the rules and it's annoying.
m
l
August 9, 2013 9:25:03 PM

You just helped bump the forum.. And so did I...
m
l
August 10, 2013 9:22:22 AM

The Stealthinator said:
Ok, if the OP needed more help, he would've posted back. Necroposting is against the rules and it's annoying.

mods should lock threads that are dead. necroposting is not annoying. maybe to you(gods opinion i guess) but to many it can bring hindsight opinions which can be great.
m
l
March 9, 2014 5:08:14 PM

cbrunnem said:
69ingChipmunkzz said:
WiredKill said:

Dxtory might be awesome and everything but whenever i try to buy it it takes me to paypal saying the price is 588.80 US dollars...
It might be good but its not that good.

m
l
May 27, 2014 12:31:34 AM

OP mentioned that Bandicam worked much better. By default it compresses the video much more than Fraps does, so it writes less data to the drive. Clearly his main problem was his disk write speed, which, as many others have said, can be solved by adding an additional drive. Bandicam is also my own personal choice - much more control over the quality and compression, and therefore performance can be tweaked to suit your system.
m
l
7 minutes ago

Drumblanket said:
cbrunnem said:
69ingChipmunkzz said:
WiredKill said:

Dxtory might be awesome and everything but whenever i try to buy it it takes me to paypal saying the price is 588.80 US dollars...
It might be good but its not that good.

Who said anything about buying it ;) 

It is expesive and now AMD and Nvidia have DVR software which is a lot better than any software I've seen

m
l
!