Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one that seems
bettor suited.

I attemped an SP2 upgrade.

It results in the "blue screen of death" when it attempts to reboot after
what seems like a succesful download and install.

I also get a message that "hal.dll" is missing.

I've googled and looked at several "fixes", some from microsoft web sites
and from others as well. Most suggest use of the Recovery Console with
Bootcfg, etc...

None of these work for me, as the SP2 download appears to have erased my
windows configuration.

When I run bootcfg /list, I get "no windows installationfound".

Bootcfg/rebuild has same results.

I've run chkdsk /p, etc... The disk seems ok.

So I'm now tyring to just reload XP from the original CD, but Setup doesn't
work, because it can't find a windows installation. It is demanding that I
insert the original CD from a previous version to prove that I am legal. I
don't have the ME cd anymore as I threw that away when I converted to XP a
couple of years ago.

My disk appears to be ok. My programs directory is intact, and more
importantly, documents and settings is intact.

There is however no directory \windows to be found.

I changed the bios to boot from CD and can get to a C:\ prompt by selecting
R for recovery console. Bootcfg is no help though.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next ?

thanks,

tim

There is a DOS command that takes you to System Restore, If that would
help..I just tore apart the house looking for these particular notes, but can
t find them, however, you should be able to contact MS support, thats whrer I
got the command from.

"needyourhelp" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one that seems
> bettor suited.
>
> I attemped an SP2 upgrade.
>
> It results in the "blue screen of death" when it attempts to reboot after
> what seems like a succesful download and install.
>
> I also get a message that "hal.dll" is missing.
>
> I've googled and looked at several "fixes", some from microsoft web sites
> and from others as well. Most suggest use of the Recovery Console with
> Bootcfg, etc...
>
> None of these work for me, as the SP2 download appears to have erased my
> windows configuration.
>
> When I run bootcfg /list, I get "no windows installationfound".
>
> Bootcfg/rebuild has same results.
>
> I've run chkdsk /p, etc... The disk seems ok.
>
> So I'm now tyring to just reload XP from the original CD, but Setup doesn't
> work, because it can't find a windows installation. It is demanding that I
> insert the original CD from a previous version to prove that I am legal. I
> don't have the ME cd anymore as I threw that away when I converted to XP a
> couple of years ago.
>
> My disk appears to be ok. My programs directory is intact, and more
> importantly, documents and settings is intact.
>
> There is however no directory \windows to be found.
>
> I changed the bios to boot from CD and can get to a C:\ prompt by selecting
> R for recovery console. Bootcfg is no help though.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next ?
>
> thanks,
>
> tim

Well, you should not have thrown away your Windows ME CD
since you only have an upgrade version of Windows XP. I would
suggest you purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP and
proceed with a "Repair Install".

Note: If you have an old Microsoft Windows 95 or 98 CD, then
you can still use your current upgrade version of Windows XP
to perform the repair install.

Examples:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"needyourhelp" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one that seems
| bettor suited.
|
| I attemped an SP2 upgrade.
|
| It results in the "blue screen of death" when it attempts to reboot after
| what seems like a succesful download and install.
|
| I also get a message that "hal.dll" is missing.
|
| I've googled and looked at several "fixes", some from microsoft web sites
| and from others as well. Most suggest use of the Recovery Console with
| Bootcfg, etc...
|
| None of these work for me, as the SP2 download appears to have erased my
| windows configuration.
|
| When I run bootcfg /list, I get "no windows installationfound".
|
| Bootcfg/rebuild has same results.
|
| I've run chkdsk /p, etc... The disk seems ok.
|
| So I'm now tyring to just reload XP from the original CD, but Setup doesn't
| work, because it can't find a windows installation. It is demanding that I
| insert the original CD from a previous version to prove that I am legal. I
| don't have the ME cd anymore as I threw that away when I converted to XP a
| couple of years ago.
|
| My disk appears to be ok. My programs directory is intact, and more
| importantly, documents and settings is intact.
|
| There is however no directory \windows to be found.
|
| I changed the bios to boot from CD and can get to a C:\ prompt by selecting
| R for recovery console. Bootcfg is no help though.
|
| Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next ?
|
| thanks,
|
| tim

Thanks, but my recovery console looks like...

Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

It can't find any windows installation. The repair install appears to
predicated on finding some windows installation.

Any other ideas ?

Yea, I found a copy of NT server that works.

thanks for your help,

tim

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Well, you should not have thrown away your Windows ME CD
> since you only have an upgrade version of Windows XP. I would
> suggest you purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP and
> proceed with a "Repair Install".
>
> Note: If you have an old Microsoft Windows 95 or 98 CD, then
> you can still use your current upgrade version of Windows XP
> to perform the repair install.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> Examples:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "needyourhelp" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one that seems
> | bettor suited.
> |
> | I attemped an SP2 upgrade.
> |
> | It results in the "blue screen of death" when it attempts to reboot after
> | what seems like a succesful download and install.
> |
> | I also get a message that "hal.dll" is missing.
> |
> | I've googled and looked at several "fixes", some from microsoft web sites
> | and from others as well. Most suggest use of the Recovery Console with
> | Bootcfg, etc...
> |
> | None of these work for me, as the SP2 download appears to have erased my
> | windows configuration.
> |
> | When I run bootcfg /list, I get "no windows installationfound".
> |
> | Bootcfg/rebuild has same results.
> |
> | I've run chkdsk /p, etc... The disk seems ok.
> |
> | So I'm now tyring to just reload XP from the original CD, but Setup doesn't
> | work, because it can't find a windows installation. It is demanding that I
> | insert the original CD from a previous version to prove that I am legal. I
> | don't have the ME cd anymore as I threw that away when I converted to XP a
> | couple of years ago.
> |
> | My disk appears to be ok. My programs directory is intact, and more
> | importantly, documents and settings is intact.
> |
> | There is however no directory \windows to be found.
> |
> | I changed the bios to boot from CD and can get to a C:\ prompt by selecting
> | R for recovery console. Bootcfg is no help though.
> |
> | Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next ?
> |
> | thanks,
> |
> | tim

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OLlstMWjFHA.3784@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> had this to say:

> Well, you should not have thrown away your Windows ME CD
> since you only have an upgrade version of Windows XP. I would
> suggest you purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP and
> proceed with a "Repair Install".
>
> Note: If you have an old Microsoft Windows 95 or 98 CD, then
> you can still use your current upgrade version of Windows XP
> to perform the repair install.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> Examples:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find one that
>> seems bettor suited.
>>
>> I attemped an SP2 upgrade.
>>
>> It results in the "blue screen of death" when it attempts to reboot
>> after what seems like a succesful download and install.
>>
>> I also get a message that "hal.dll" is missing.
>>
>> I've googled and looked at several "fixes", some from microsoft web
>> sites and from others as well. Most suggest use of the Recovery
>> Console with Bootcfg, etc...
>>
>> None of these work for me, as the SP2 download appears to have
>> erased my windows configuration.
>>
>> When I run bootcfg /list, I get "no windows installationfound".
>>
>> Bootcfg/rebuild has same results.
>>
>> I've run chkdsk /p, etc... The disk seems ok.
>>
>> So I'm now tyring to just reload XP from the original CD, but Setup
>> doesn't work, because it can't find a windows installation. It is
>> demanding that I insert the original CD from a previous version to
>> prove that I am legal. I don't have the ME cd anymore as I threw
>> that away when I converted to XP a couple of years ago.
>>
>> My disk appears to be ok. My programs directory is intact, and more
>> importantly, documents and settings is intact.
>>
>> There is however no directory \windows to be found.
>>
>> I changed the bios to boot from CD and can get to a C:\ prompt by
>> selecting R for recovery console. Bootcfg is no help though.
>>
>> Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next ?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> tim

Slight correction:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx

There's no upgrade path allowed for 95 according to Microsoft's site.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

You are correct, this is no upgrade path from Windows 95
to Windows XP. However, a Microsoft Windows 95 CD
can be used to qualify for using the upgrade version of
Windows XP when performing a "repair install" or a
"clean install".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Galen" wrote:

| Slight correction:
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx
|
| There's no upgrade path allowed for 95 according to Microsoft's site.
|
| Galen

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OWuYRbWjFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> had this to say:

> You are correct, this is no upgrade path from Windows 95
> to Windows XP. However, a Microsoft Windows 95 CD
> can be used to qualify for using the upgrade version of
> Windows XP when performing a "repair install" or a
> "clean install".
>

>> Slight correction:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx
>>
>> There's no upgrade path allowed for 95 according to Microsoft's site.
>>
>> Galen

The impression I've had (and after reading the site to confirm it - note
that I couldn't seem to find anything on Microsoft's site about what would
be allowed as qualifying media - I still had that impression.) So, figuring
you must have a reason for saying so (I didn't think you'd just make that
up) I Googled and Googled and finally found a site that stated it clearly.
Much thanks. I stand humbled. <g> So much for impressions? Maybe, just
maybe, they don't clarify it on the Microsoft site to confuse people like me
who make it a point to figure you aren't allowed unless they tell you that
you can.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes