Status
Not open for further replies.

GrammarNazi

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hello all, well basically my friend is getting an absolute top of the line pc build and he is willing to sell his cpu to me. He has a i7 2600 (Non k) and I currently have i5 2500 (non k) Do you think it's worth it and will it give a performance boost that's worth the money?

Solution
sounds like your friend has more money than sense. he wont get any increase in performance swapping to the 2011 socket as the games have become limited more by gpu power than cpu power... no its not worth the effort of removing the old paste never mind swapping out the cpu...

there will be no gaming boost for you but if you do photoshop or 3d work then it would be worth it... for any other reason then dont bother...

psychodegu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Well you didn't tell us how much this swap will cost you, but yes you might see a difference in game preformance. The processor is deffinately better, but your not going to see a dramatic boost in FPS, unless the game can make use of 6 cores and hyper threading, which is basically no games right now.

where did the 6 core come from?

OP: if he will sell it to you for very cheap or you sell your i5 so the net transaction puts you back about $20~40 then sure, otherwise it's not worth the money. All you really getting is the hyper threading on the i7 vs i5 and 0.1ghz stock frequency. As far as I know, very few games benefit from HT if at all (many claim that HT actually decreases CPU performance in games)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52209,52213

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'd say not. If you're using your system for purely gaming, then the i7 doesn't bring any substantial gain to the party that the i5 hasn't got already. I'd sooner recommend selling the i5-2500 to purchase an i5-2500K.

If you use applications that are highly-threaded, then of course go for it.

sounds like your friend has more money than sense. he wont get any increase in performance swapping to the 2011 socket as the games have become limited more by gpu power than cpu power... no its not worth the effort of removing the old paste never mind swapping out the cpu...

there will be no gaming boost for you but if you do photoshop or 3d work then it would be worth it... for any other reason then dont bother...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS