Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Hey, I'm trying to upgrade my video card and most of the decent cards ask for a minimum of 300w. My PSU has only 251W, it came with my HP a410e. HP support told me it will hold up a 300w card but I think I'm also having voltage problems.

In Mobo and speedfan my voltages read as follows:
Vcore=1.63v
+3.3v=3.31v
+5v=5.05v
+12v=11.19v
-12v=0.23v
-5v=5.11v
+5vsb=5.48
VBat=3.20v

First question is...Am I having problems with my voltages? Would my current PSU work with an ATI 9800Pro, X800Pro or any card that requests 300W?
Finally, which PSU(At least 400w if possible) could be installed in my PC if I needed to?

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon XP +3000 (Barton Core) 2.16Ghz
512 MB PC2700 (One Stick)
Asustek Kamet2 (A7V8X-LA)
Geforce FX 5600 128mb(Includes a noisy fan)
Voodoo2 PCI
Onboard Audio
1 60GB Hard Drive
1 Sony CDRW

Thanks.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Current PSU info:

HIPRO HP-D2537F3R Rev:02

AC Input (47-63Hz)
100-127v/6A
200-240v/4A

DC Output
+5v=/25A
+3.3v=/18A
+12v=/14A
-12v=/0.8A
+5VSB=/2A

+5V & +3.3v shall not exceed 165W
+5v & +12v shall not exceed 218W

MAX Output Power 250W

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
It's a Pavillon, correct? Very likely, it's a proprietary system. I found a suitable site that may alleviate your PSU problem.

http://www.usereasy.com/product_6581.html

I'd telephone the vendor first, insuring their claims are not just puffs of smoke, although the PSU is compatible with your system.

With a quick glance, those +/-12V readings are worrysome. As a result, in part, an X800 is beyond the scope of your current switching power supply.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Thx for the link, already added it to my favorites. And yes it's a Pavilion desktop.
Would that new 250W PSU run one of those vid cards?

I found out that my PC and some parts can be a pain on the neck. No more brand desktop PCs for me, gonna try to build my next one.

http://www.tweak.us/cms/article_HP_Compaq_parts.html

I wonder the specs and model of that Antec PSU he bought.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Are you having any errors or blue screens? If the Mobo is correct then you probably are having issues. The 12V line is low.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I am allmost positive that your not going to be able to get by with your current PSU and an X800 series card.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I was having some problems with my Geforce card. It would ran some games but with newly installed games it would crash. My screen went black when the game was loading and it would stay like that. I had to reboot the whole system.
Games like America's Army, Area51(Demo), Swat 4(Demo) and Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Weird thing is that after a couple of tries Wolfenstein and Area51 loaded and I have been able to play them since.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nixum on 08/20/05 01:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that your 12V rail may be causing you problems and even it isnt that PSU wont cut it with A video card in the X800 range.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I'll upgrade my PSU then. This will be the first one that I buy. I'm gonna try to get one with 350W or 400W max output. I'm not sure what kind of specs I should be looking for thou. I think I need an ATX12v/Microtower, I'll see if I can decipher the other specs. Help would be very appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP's are almost universally non-proprietary. They normally use Micro ATX boards (sometimes in full ATX cases), and either PS3 or SFX power supplies. While PS3 never really caught on, it's still an industry standard. And SFX is quite common.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several small power supplies, the most common is SFX, but HP also used PS3. PS3 looks full sized from the back, but has a reduced depth so it won't interfere with drives mounting.

SFX power supplies are now available in large capacities, check newegg.com. BTW, newegg, like most sites, doesn't know their form factors: Most of their SFX power supplies are listed under the "micro ATX" listings, even though Micro ATX doesn't describe a power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Nixum's Pavillon might be proprietary, though. According to the link I pasted, the HP model in question may or may not require a special 4-pin HP video connector to operate.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Isn't that a PS/3 power supply? I haven't seen HP use those for a couple years. I've seen several cases designed for PS3 power supplies using SFX adapter plates, I figured HP converted everything small to SFX.

Now, <A HREF="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=391729&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00063254" target="_new">here's his motherboard</A>, and <A HREF="http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00225826.pdf" target="_new">here's the parts replacement manual</A> It seems he's using a real power supply, that is, of the traditional PS2 size we builders take for granted. Of course the mounting hole is probably cut out to only accept power supplies with the power plug in the same spot.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Thx for the help so far guys. I was also trying to purchase a PSU from Newegg. The replacement PSU should be an ATX12v?
Should it have dual 12v? As you can see guys I'm a complete noob about this.

From the specs of my current PSU I know I should not exceed 165W for +5v & +3.3v. And it should not exceed 218W for +5v & +12v. I was trying to find a PSU with identical AC input but I had no luck. Does it have to be the same AC input? In the output section I got completely lost lol.

Can somebody please give me the detailed specs of a PSU that will work on my PC. I think that would be the only solution to this upgrade problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You case might have a large enough hole in the back to accept other power connector locations. Check it. The cheapest power supply I'd go with is <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953" target="_new">This One</A> The pictures are upside-down from normal mounting orientation.

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
I read the links you posted, and the mobo conforms to the ATX family. In any event, the PS/3 PSU is, indeed, compatible with his rig. If you scroll down the page, after clicking on the link I previously posted, his HP model, the a410e (How much you wanna bet an engineer named the system?), is on the approval list for the page's HP replacement PSU. Now, given that his system is relatively antiquated (I mean no personal offense to you, Nixum, my good sir), is it possible his system, despite the use of a microATX mobo, requires a sanctioned, yet proprietary, PSU?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The replacement manual shows a full-sized (PS/2) power supply, hopefully he'll OPEN the thing and CONFIRM he has the depth needed for one. Because if he does, there's no need for PS/3.

BTW, Newegg sells PS/3 too, but they have a terrible selection in that size.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. They show TFX power supplies under SFX last I checked. Probably PS/3 as well, but few to no SFX power supplies. Then you check under "Micro ATX" and find most of the SFX power supplies, some of the TFX, and a few PS/3's.

People have actually used Newegg's listings to try and prove me wrong. But I wouldn't be insisting unless I knew I was right.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys, I measured the depth of the current PSU and it's almost 5.5 Inches. I checked and there's room for one more inch easily. So a PSU with a depth of 6.5 inches will fit comfortably.

I have a question regarding the dual 12v. When I was checking my PSU I only saw a +12v and -12v rail but the dual 12v has 2 +12v. It's no problem if the new PSU has dual 12v? That won't cook my motherboard or anything like that?

And Proly4life, no offense taken sir. I know my HP is old, bought it a year ago but with current systems and developments it seems like I bought it 4 years ago.

Once again thanks for the time and help guys.

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Heavens to bitsy, no, a dual rail system won't cook your mobo. Dual rail PSUs are a convenient method for limiting the load on the +12V line, amongst other things.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have enough depth for a full-sized power supply, dual-rail is fine and nothing to worry about. So relax and feel free to buy a standard unit.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Firstly, I would like to thank you guys for the time invested on helping me out. Thanks Crashman, Poly4life and Mozzartusm.

Which one do you think would be better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103936#DetailSpecs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954#DetailSpecs

Question about the airflow in the case. My PSU has its fan facing the rear panel. Would it disrupt the airflow if the new PSU and its fan would be facing downwards? Like with the Fortron Source?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like the Fortron Source. Of course I'm a sucker for high quality, low prices, and 120mm fans.

TRENDING THREADS