hard disk too slow according to Nero, device manager IDE p..

This is driving me crazy: according to Nero, my harddrives are too
slow for +16 speed cd/+2.4 speed dvd burning. This is a problem that
manifested itself about a week ago.
I've ran a Passmark Performance test: sequential read and write is at
+45 mb/s, BUT random read/write is at 4.2!!! mb/s. This is consistent
with Neros claim: 16/2.4 speed is about 4 mb/s.
According to the Primary IDE Channel properties of Device Manager the
drives are using UDMA5/4. The drives are defragmented on a regular
basis.
I already tried several things: updating bios/device drivers, changing
cables,...nothing seems to be working.
I installed a second copy of windows, but the problem persisted in the
fresh copy. So I'm not convinced a clean install will do the job..
Setup: master maxtor 120 gb ata133 & slave wd 200gb ata100 connected
to primary IDE on Asus p4c800-e deluxe, bios 1023, using winxp pro

Anybody got any ideas?

TIA

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:54:57 +0200, First Of Three

>This is driving me crazy: according to Nero, my harddrives are too
>slow for +16 speed cd/+2.4 speed dvd burning. This is a problem that
>manifested itself about a week ago.

OK... how's the PC been, otherwise?
OK... how's the PC been; otherwise?

>I've ran a Passmark Performance test: sequential read and write is at
>+45 mb/s, BUT random read/write is at 4.2!!! mb/s. This is consistent
>with Neros claim: 16/2.4 speed is about 4 mb/s.

At face value, this means either really slow track seek times, an
adverse impact when lookahead caching is foiled, or both.

In practice, I'd suspect bad sector retries as the slowdoan factor,
especially if mileage is patchy, and your PC is otherwise, otherwise.

I'd worry about that not because it's likely, but more because if this
is what the problem is, it's going to really gouge you later.

>Setup: master maxtor 120 gb ata133 & slave wd 200gb ata100 connected
>to primary IDE on Asus p4c800-e deluxe, bios 1023, using winxp pro

Try running just one HD at a time on each UIDE channel, FWIW, but also
test with the vendor's diags, or something like HD-Tune.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope