Sign in with
Your question
Closed

World of warcraft fps problem

Last response: in Video Games
February 17, 2012 12:12:51 PM

Hello!

I have some fps problem with wow and im gonna try explain it all. I know my rig isnt top of the line endgaöe and wanna know what i should focus on most.

Amd athlon x3 2.6ghz ( unlocked to amd phenom x4 3.1ghz if you know witch one this is)
6gb ram 1330mhz dunno name of these atm.
Ati 5850 hd
Motherboard: gigabyte 870 something more, i can check up exactly when i get home all components.

But from what you know from this what do you think makes wow lag so much when more then 10 people are at the same spot? I play 1950 resolution and i cant notice big difference at all from low to ultra settings but i have normal and low shadows. If im in arena i can get 60+ fps while in heavy populated areas it drops to 10-15 fps.

What i feel is strange is that afterburner says i only uses max 5-20% of gpu:S

So any tip is welcome. And as said i can give more specific information about rig if you guys need to know
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2012 1:03:25 PM

most likely your CPU is bottlenecking since high amount of data that needs to be processed around you (people movement, chat, etc,etc)

this would also explain why your GPU is only sitting at 30% utilization.

get a monitoring prog like hwinfo or hwmonitor it will show you what the load on CPU is if it's anywhere close to 90% and you're lagging severely, it's a safe bet that it's the CPU causing this.
Score
February 17, 2012 1:33:27 PM

thanks, will try this but forgot to mention that im sitting with a wifi connection but i have 40-50 ping, could this be a problem?

Also i played a 25-man raid couple of days ago and it was smooth as butter(atleast stable 40fps) if i compare to what it use to be and i thought awsome now i will never turn of my computer again, next morning my computer had self restart by windows update and it was back to low fps again.

Aslo i dint explain that my "normal" fps drops alot, lets say i have 50 fps i could have 20 next second but this is probarly from what you say my cpu that cant hadle to much traffic.

thx for answer will check up my cpu more
Score
Related resources
February 17, 2012 2:22:08 PM

in HWinfo i notice the cores works as hard as they can so i guess its the cpu then but it also says my rams are running at 666.7Mhz so i checked up in bios and there i set it manually to 1333Mhz, then back in program i still says 666.7 mhz, but this is maybe just idle speed? Sorry for all questions but i dont know that much about this:) 

Also you maybe prefer if i put up some screenshots here instead?
Score
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2012 4:17:31 PM

if your temperatures are below 85C all should be fine.

you're seeing 666mhz on ram because it's running in dual channel, so in reality is running 1333 (2x666)

download and try io gamebooster. I'm thinking you might have some processes that might be interfering with your game since you say it was able to run stable at some point

I don't think it's your wireless. 40-50 ping to server is fine unless you get packet loss, and even then that shouldn't really affect fps only latency lag (like things skipping around on your screen). watch your ping closely for a while, if it jumps around a lot (from 40 to like 150 and then back within short period of time), that could indicate the problem. Otherwise, I have no reason to believe wireless would cause this
Score
February 17, 2012 6:18:19 PM

ahh yeah ofc it like that with the ram:)  i will try gamebooster tonight and see if i can get any improvement. My cpu seems to be little hot 65C in idle will test also when im running full work on cpu.

But i maybe have to change cpu and i dont wanna spend to much money in this computer but ive heard the intel i5 2500k is a super good cpu for WoW but then i have to spend another 120 euro on a new MB since im running AMD or buy a better AMD like phenom X6 1100 for around 140 euro wich i dont think is that much of an uppgrade from what i have sen on benchamark in WoW, maybe you have an suggestion for me?

thx so far for tips!
Score

Best solution

a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 17, 2012 7:05:22 PM

hmm, that's a tad bit hot for idle temps. check under load, if it nears 100 that's not good. Check your fans and heatsink then.

as far as upgrading goes, well one thing is, don't get ahead of yourself, your CPU might still be alright. But, since you already touched on that topic, at the moment, there really isn't much point in investing into AMD cpus. AMD claims that supposedly the FX will work better under windows 8, but that's just hearsay until we see some benchmarks.

Take a look at this article TH did recently, I find it very informative.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

so after reading that, x6 is a decent buy, but I find pII x4 980 performs very well. Depending on the price difference in your area you might pick between those two if you wish to stay with the mobo. Otherwise, I'd really recommend to upgrade to intel.

let me know how that gamebooster goes and if your CPU runs any hotter during game
February 17, 2012 7:18:59 PM

AntiZig said:
hmm, that's a tad bit hot for idle temps. check under load, if it nears 100 that's not good. Check your fans and heatsink then.

as far as upgrading goes, well one thing is, don't get ahead of yourself, your CPU might still be alright. But, since you already touched on that topic, at the moment, there really isn't much point in investing into AMD cpus. AMD claims that supposedly the FX will work better under windows 8, but that's just hearsay until we see some benchmarks.

Take a look at this article TH did recently, I find it very informative.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

so after reading that, x6 is a decent buy, but I find pII x4 980 performs very well. Depending on the price difference in your area you might pick between those two if you wish to stay with the mobo. Otherwise, I'd really recommend to upgrade to intel.

let me know how that gamebooster goes and if your CPU runs any hotter during game

Speaking from personal experience with the game, the best thing to do once you start getting into that price bracket is save a little longer and buy sandy bridge. Particularly for WoW which is so heavily cpu-bound. Intel just demolishes AMD's new offerings in the game, enough so to really merit just spending the extra cash as painful as that can be.
Score
February 17, 2012 11:17:45 PM

the temp was around 65C on cpu, and the gamebooster did help but not much. I think i order an i5 2500k with MB instead and try that out.

Ty so much for answers im new here but i will for sure read alot on these forums they are really good
Score
February 17, 2012 11:18:02 PM

Best answer selected by panzerwagoon.
Score
February 19, 2012 7:29:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!