Sign in with
Your question

Bf3 start lagging after a while of playing

Last response: in Video Games
February 17, 2012 3:56:18 PM

hey guys

i am having this wierd issue :
after almost 20-30 min of gameplay on ultra settings the game starts lagging hard ?!

nothing is over heating my cpu is 60c - 65c my gpu is 65c while playing

i tried underclocking and setting everything to stock speeds but its still the same and tried to over clock my 560TI to 1GHZ which should give the performance of stock 570

my specs :
cpu : i5 2500K 3.3ghz stock speed (turbo mode off to see if that solves it but it doesnt)
gpu : asus 560TI at 830mhz stock clock tried 1000mhz same :( 
ram : 4gb 1600 ram

now i thought that maybe its the ram cuz the usage is around 85% while playing bf3 but then i said if it is ram why doesnt it lag when playing on high ?

please help

thx
February 17, 2012 4:28:57 PM

single 560? afaik, it doesn't have enough vram to run on ultra
February 17, 2012 4:49:07 PM

are you sure its at 65C whilst playing, are you tracking it whilst playing? it sound heat related.

On the other hand, antizigs point is very valid, drop textures down from ultra (i'm surprised you are get good frames at ultra anyway), it could be that as you find new areas and loads new textures it has to start dumping old textures. I know that my VRAM usage slowly increases, it doesn't all get filled up at once.

Related resources
February 17, 2012 5:49:43 PM

my gpu vram is 2gigs which is alot i think

and yes i track the heat whiling playing it goes up to 69c MAX

so what do u suggest ?

the game runs perfectly flawlessly on ultra for a while then after 20mins it laggs hard
February 17, 2012 5:53:26 PM

i'm still shocked that you can play on ultra, my gtx 470 can't it had periods of ok perf and periods of rubbish. you are right 2GB is fine.

69 is not too hot.

what driver version?

does it do the same on high?

February 17, 2012 6:10:51 PM

its lags hard after 20mins because you are most likely running out of ram if it runs on high perfectly fine.

it doesn't lag on high because its using less resources because of the lower quality.
February 17, 2012 6:20:09 PM

how is your RAM, PSU and HDD temperatures? you might want to pop the case and just feel around with a thermometer or even by hand. If you feel excessive heat on any of them that might be the cause.

problems over time are typically either memory filling up or overheating issues.
February 17, 2012 6:56:05 PM

hmm i think so too

ok i'll keep my Hwmonitor on while playing for 30min and when the lagg starts i'll see whats the max temp for (cpu,gpu,hdd) and post them here to check if they r normal or not

thanks
February 17, 2012 7:07:39 PM

I thought you already knew your temps, you said 65C and 69C cpu and gpu.

February 18, 2012 9:13:37 AM

i know them i just want to check other parts temps i'll open the case and see how hot are the parts when it laggs
February 18, 2012 9:30:27 AM

its is very very unlikely that anything beyond the cpu and gpu will be too hot.
February 18, 2012 1:02:40 PM

If you are using Nvidia Beta Drivers 295.51, they have a reported Memory leak issue in conjunction with Battlefield 3. This could account for your slowdowns as time passes. Revert to beta driver 290.53.

Not having enough VRAM for Ultra at certain resolutions doesn't account for his persistent slowdowns after time, those VRAM slowdowns would be map/scene-related, not time related.

It is unlikely he's overheating his 560ti. The coolers that those come with are way more than up to the task of cooling the card, and his clocks being tame presumably means that his voltage is also tame.

I suspect the 295.51 memory leak to be the issue here, hope this resolves your problem.

Quick Edit: lower your quality to high, and completely disable deferred antialiasing. Your card isn't up to those tasks while maintaining 60 fps, beyond a resolution of like 1200x800 vicinity. High looks almost indistinguishable from ultra at any rate, and the deferred antialiasing combined with post processing creates a hazing effect that obscures enemies at certain ranges and most competitive players disable the deferred antialiasing due to this anyway, regardless of how high quality their rigs are. This is unrelated to your slowdowns, but just some advice.
February 18, 2012 3:18:13 PM

hey mate thx for your help but i am using the latest official driver 285.62 not the beta
i'll do a fast test now for my vram leak .

the thing thats making me crazy is that on ultra it runs smooth with no AA for 20-30mins and then lag , if it lags from the begining i'd say :o k my 560Ti cant handle it but it works smooth .

for high quality it works perfect for me but i just want to find whats causing the issue with ultra ?

i'll try to see how much of my 2gb vram is being used while playing
February 18, 2012 3:21:23 PM

tauta said:
hey mate thx for your help but i am using the latest official driver 285.62 not the beta
i'll do a fast test now for my vram leak .

the thing thats making me crazy is that on ultra it runs smooth with no AA for 20-30mins and then lag , if it lags from the begining i'd say :o k my 560Ti cant handle it but it works smooth .

for high quality it works perfect for me but i just want to find whats causing the issue with ultra ?

i'll try to see how much of my 2gb vram is being used while playing

You have a 2gb 560ti? Yeah VRAM shortage isn't the issue. The only thing I could think that would cause your degradation over time would be overheating or an actual memory leak, but the overheating on that card just seems far fetched given how nicely cooled they are.
February 18, 2012 5:44:14 PM

chances are the game is fine and your system also... the problem will probably only show up on certain maps or certain areas of maps... drop your settings to high because your gfx doent have the grunt to run at ultra as others have said. also limit the hbao or ssao to either low or off. this will give a 5-10fps bump...

the reason i think it may just be certain maps is some maps like karkland are huge and need a lot of gfx ram to run the higher details to the horizon. most games limit this by faking a background but bf3 doesn't. so it has a higher system demand... turning off the horizon based ambient occlusion (hbao) will help a lot in limiting the hit that the draw distance imposes...
February 18, 2012 6:36:03 PM

i need to try things out to see

but i am really busy with this high school #$%$^%& :D 

anyways tommorow hopefully i'll be free to make some tests
February 18, 2012 6:44:38 PM

cool... best stick with the education over games... as learning will serve you better than having the ability to kill the level 2 warlock with a level 5 confuse ... ;) 
February 18, 2012 6:54:20 PM

huh ... ?!

really didnt understand anything unless u r talking about wow :D 

dont worry about my education got 100% in my first term .

but gaming is one big part of my life , and it really annoys me that there is a problem and i cant figure it out . but as u said i cant put my pc or my gaming ahead of my education .

thanks alot mate :) 
February 18, 2012 8:29:27 PM

aren't the beta drivers the only ones that support BF3? the last official release was pre BF3.
February 18, 2012 8:31:03 PM

13thmonkey said:
aren't the beta drivers the only ones that support BF3? the last official release was pre BF3.

No, the WHQL is 285, it was released post-bf3 release.
February 18, 2012 8:43:53 PM

ah, the betas support skyrim then, timing mixed up I think.
February 19, 2012 2:11:53 PM

ok so i made some tests and :
vram usage is always 1gb out of 2GB so no memory leak here
ram uasage is 80-88% and also no memory leak here

cpu max temp was 70c
and gpu max temp was 69c

the last time i tested the game surprisingly the game did not lag after 20 mins on ultra it gave me 60-45 fps but it stuttered and lagged while playing from the begging

so i am just now convinced that my gpu wont be able to run the game on ultra as smoothly as other gpus :p 

thanks alot
February 19, 2012 2:18:50 PM

cpu max is a bit high.
February 19, 2012 4:03:53 PM

hmm dunno

but i hope this helps anyone

i said : lets try downloading the beta driver ! and try it out !!!? version 285.79

amazingly it solved the problem no lag no lag after 20-30 mins on ultra with no AA

Thanks alot guys hope this helps you if u have any issue
February 19, 2012 4:08:13 PM

try the 290.53 version
February 19, 2012 4:25:50 PM

I agree 290.53 is a great driverset, but if what he has is now working for him, might let it be.
February 19, 2012 4:28:08 PM

i'll upgrade and see if it works so be it if it doesnt im back to 285.79
February 19, 2012 4:43:32 PM

I'm running 290.53 and they should be fine. I'm still shocked that you are hitting ultra on that card.
February 19, 2012 4:55:16 PM

why :)  ?
February 19, 2012 5:01:49 PM

cause my 470 can't and you've got maybe 5%-10% on me?
February 19, 2012 5:35:04 PM

13thmonkey said:
cause my 470 can't and you've got maybe 5%-10% on me?

He's not getting constant 60 fps. Just has it set to ultra. My 570 can't do 4x multisampling without hitting mid-50's at 1920x1080, and my overclock is substantial. Best I can do at my reso is full ultra with 0x deferred anti-aliasing, as far as 60 fps no matter what.
February 19, 2012 5:43:35 PM

i'm hitting 45ish on mostly medium, ultra texture, only the second type of AA @ 2048x1152 no OC, early adpotion was a stupid decision :( , which i'll probably do again in few months :) 
February 19, 2012 6:25:51 PM

i think 560TI gives 25-35% more performance than 470GTX
and as CasualColors said i dont get constant 60 fps and tbh i dont care about 60fps as long as the game is running smoothly (it should run ok and smooth as long as fps is above 30)

note : hate this game cause of its endless problems
February 19, 2012 6:34:04 PM

Odd, i have very few problems with it
February 20, 2012 11:02:52 AM

i had problems with 285.79 and lag

i just reinstalled the game and installed 290.53 as u said
and oced my gpu to 1ghz and now it works perfect on ultra with no AA

note : 560ti on stock clock (830 mine) wont run ultra with no lag
February 20, 2012 11:06:54 AM

Ah the OC explains a lot.

glad you are sorted
February 20, 2012 3:50:28 PM

if your playing on line then you dont want to be running on ultra unless your card can do a solid 60 fps minimum... if your not getting that then you need to drop the settings with the last being screen rez and textures... soft smoke ambient occlusion and all the other fancy stuff should be turned off.

reason: so you can sync your packet data with your fps... what ever your minimum fps is then thats the amount of packets you want to be sending so if its 60fps packets then you want 60 packets... any less and targets become to hard to kill... if you have a minimum of 100 then you want to set the packets to 100, this makes targets easier to kill as you have a more accurate ide as to where they are. more packet data means more accurate placment...
you do this in the config files.

also if you have a favorite server then you can adjust your own ping to match what you get on the server... my local fav is about 35 so i set my ping ballance to 40 this gives a little leeway in transmission times but ultimately syncs me with the host server better.

having pretty gfx is 1 thing but if your lagging hard because your packet data is out of sync with your fps then you really should for your own sanity, drop the gfx settings.
February 20, 2012 5:28:19 PM

bah even with the beta driver and ocing u still get lag now and then which is annoying especially in delicate encounters

i'll just set it to high and play

gtx560ti 830mhz even oced to 1ghz wont run online on ultra perfectly

thanks alot anyways
February 20, 2012 5:38:50 PM

the early indications from EA were that SLi 570+ was needed for ultra, so can't say i'm surprised. What do you mean by lag, describe it
February 20, 2012 6:03:19 PM

hmm how can i describe it ...

its just normal lag when your pc specs arent just enough to run a game on certain settings

go and run BF3 on ultra with ur 470 and it will lag

February 20, 2012 6:28:48 PM

if it is continuing movement after you have stopped, then its network, if its low frames then its gpu, if it high frames but sometimes the same one repeats, or yoiu skip from frame to frame then its cpu or network. if you can push the frame out at above 30-40 then its not gpu that you are feeling. Lag is a network term, low frames is graphics term, slow is a cpu term. Lag has been taken by xboxers to mean everything that is not smooth, and it does not help identifiy the problem.
February 21, 2012 6:19:25 PM

hmm

yes i am able to get more than 50fps without AA but it laggs ? dont think its network ping is 100 ms

u think its cpu ? my cpu is i5 2500K 3.3ghz
its enough i think
February 21, 2012 6:42:26 PM

u know what im gona takr my gpu and try it on another pc same specs as mine
February 22, 2012 8:29:35 AM

just want to ask is 70C for cpu high temp ? and would effect my cpu performance ?
i know that the highest you should get to on i5 2500k is 72
February 22, 2012 10:14:17 AM

I would say that 70 is high for a cpu given a max of 72. As it might only be maintaining 70 by throttling, check cpu-z whilst it is at 70 and see what speed you have.

Make sure that the push pins are rock solid, they are really easy to get wrong.
February 22, 2012 10:24:55 AM

i made sure of that
the speed is 3300 i turned off Turbo boost

the by the way
you asked about what kind of lag is it

its like the game stops for a sec then go on then stops then go then stop and like this
February 22, 2012 10:26:27 AM

there are many youtube vids about ppl have about the same build in a matter of cpu and gpu but they can run the game on ultra with no problems
February 22, 2012 11:44:20 AM

tauta said:
the by the way
you asked about what kind of lag is it

its like the game stops for a sec then go on then stops then go then stop and like this

Can you run EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner in the background (or on second creen if you have one).

We need to distingiush between GPU and CPU and Network issues.

If the FPS does not change whilst you experience this then it is a nework issue.

If the FPS does drop down then its either CPU or GPU

If CPU usage stays constant, then I'd suggest its a GPU issue,
The CPU usage spikes or dips then i'd suggest its a CPU issues (or memory)

I've recently found that when my cpu cores are at 95-99% then i'll experience poor control, i.e. i'll keep running and not turn etc.
If I get them down to 90% then i'm fine.

Is this the same on small and larger Servers, what about empty servers (I was on a 16x16 tdm server yesterday, lots of people in a small area, hammered my processor, went to a 32x32 conquest, more people much larger area, no problem)

try overclocking to 4Ghz, should be easy, see what happens.

Also we need to know CPU speed at load at temp, as if it is throttling that would cause these symptoms. can you run in windowed mode?
February 22, 2012 5:07:24 PM

the problem is i don have a second screen

but using msi afterburner yes the fps drops while i experience lag

i tried overclocking to 4ghz it doesnt lag for a moment but then it lags i think cuz temp is 80+ :) 

i would like to test it on another pc that has same specs but i cant at the moment since i dont have any other pc with the same specs
i'll play windowed and see how much cpu usage does it use

February 22, 2012 5:26:02 PM

here are my results :

now since i dont have second monitor i said ok lets play in windowed mode as u said and open task manager so i played but cpu usage didnt go above 60% and ram is about 80-85%

but when i turned off 2 cpus for the game it became really slow (at the same usage for the process)

now just to let you know that i do have low fps issues in some other games that i didnt have in the past .

and for the cpu temp under load its 69c

the problem is there isnt any test that u can run for the processor or gpu to make sure they r both working as they should

ill download 3dmark vantage and see how much points do i get for both gpu and cpu i remember my old marks

till then any ideas ?

and by the way man i want to thank you for helping me <3
!