Bf3 start lagging after a while of playing

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
hey guys

i am having this wierd issue :
after almost 20-30 min of gameplay on ultra settings the game starts lagging hard ?!

nothing is over heating my cpu is 60c - 65c my gpu is 65c while playing

i tried underclocking and setting everything to stock speeds but its still the same and tried to over clock my 560TI to 1GHZ which should give the performance of stock 570

my specs :
cpu : i5 2500K 3.3ghz stock speed (turbo mode off to see if that solves it but it doesnt)
gpu : asus 560TI at 830mhz stock clock tried 1000mhz same :(
ram : 4gb 1600 ram

now i thought that maybe its the ram cuz the usage is around 85% while playing bf3 but then i said if it is ram why doesnt it lag when playing on high ?

please help

thx

are you sure its at 65C whilst playing, are you tracking it whilst playing? it sound heat related.

On the other hand, antizigs point is very valid, drop textures down from ultra (i'm surprised you are get good frames at ultra anyway), it could be that as you find new areas and loads new textures it has to start dumping old textures. I know that my VRAM usage slowly increases, it doesn't all get filled up at once.

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
my gpu vram is 2gigs which is alot i think

and yes i track the heat whiling playing it goes up to 69c MAX

so what do u suggest ?

the game runs perfectly flawlessly on ultra for a while then after 20mins it laggs hard

i'm still shocked that you can play on ultra, my gtx 470 can't it had periods of ok perf and periods of rubbish. you are right 2GB is fine.

69 is not too hot.

what driver version?

does it do the same on high?

its lags hard after 20mins because you are most likely running out of ram if it runs on high perfectly fine.

it doesn't lag on high because its using less resources because of the lower quality.

how is your RAM, PSU and HDD temperatures? you might want to pop the case and just feel around with a thermometer or even by hand. If you feel excessive heat on any of them that might be the cause.

problems over time are typically either memory filling up or overheating issues.

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
hmm i think so too

ok i'll keep my Hwmonitor on while playing for 30min and when the lagg starts i'll see whats the max temp for (cpu,gpu,hdd) and post them here to check if they r normal or not

thanks

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i know them i just want to check other parts temps i'll open the case and see how hot are the parts when it laggs

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If you are using Nvidia Beta Drivers 295.51, they have a reported Memory leak issue in conjunction with Battlefield 3. This could account for your slowdowns as time passes. Revert to beta driver 290.53.

Not having enough VRAM for Ultra at certain resolutions doesn't account for his persistent slowdowns after time, those VRAM slowdowns would be map/scene-related, not time related.

It is unlikely he's overheating his 560ti. The coolers that those come with are way more than up to the task of cooling the card, and his clocks being tame presumably means that his voltage is also tame.

I suspect the 295.51 memory leak to be the issue here, hope this resolves your problem.

Quick Edit: lower your quality to high, and completely disable deferred antialiasing. Your card isn't up to those tasks while maintaining 60 fps, beyond a resolution of like 1200x800 vicinity. High looks almost indistinguishable from ultra at any rate, and the deferred antialiasing combined with post processing creates a hazing effect that obscures enemies at certain ranges and most competitive players disable the deferred antialiasing due to this anyway, regardless of how high quality their rigs are. This is unrelated to your slowdowns, but just some advice.

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
hey mate thx for your help but i am using the latest official driver 285.62 not the beta
i'll do a fast test now for my vram leak .

the thing thats making me crazy is that on ultra it runs smooth with no AA for 20-30mins and then lag , if it lags from the begining i'd say :eek:k my 560Ti cant handle it but it works smooth .

for high quality it works perfect for me but i just want to find whats causing the issue with ultra ?

i'll try to see how much of my 2gb vram is being used while playing

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

You have a 2gb 560ti? Yeah VRAM shortage isn't the issue. The only thing I could think that would cause your degradation over time would be overheating or an actual memory leak, but the overheating on that card just seems far fetched given how nicely cooled they are.

chances are the game is fine and your system also... the problem will probably only show up on certain maps or certain areas of maps... drop your settings to high because your gfx doent have the grunt to run at ultra as others have said. also limit the hbao or ssao to either low or off. this will give a 5-10fps bump...

the reason i think it may just be certain maps is some maps like karkland are huge and need a lot of gfx ram to run the higher details to the horizon. most games limit this by faking a background but bf3 doesn't. so it has a higher system demand... turning off the horizon based ambient occlusion (hbao) will help a lot in limiting the hit that the draw distance imposes...

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i need to try things out to see

but i am really busy with this high school #$%$^%& :D

anyways tommorow hopefully i'll be free to make some tests

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
huh ... ?!

really didnt understand anything unless u r talking about wow :D

dont worry about my education got 100% in my first term .

but gaming is one big part of my life , and it really annoys me that there is a problem and i cant figure it out . but as u said i cant put my pc or my gaming ahead of my education .

thanks alot mate :)

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
ok so i made some tests and :
vram usage is always 1gb out of 2GB so no memory leak here
ram uasage is 80-88% and also no memory leak here

cpu max temp was 70c
and gpu max temp was 69c

the last time i tested the game surprisingly the game did not lag after 20 mins on ultra it gave me 60-45 fps but it stuttered and lagged while playing from the begging

so i am just now convinced that my gpu wont be able to run the game on ultra as smoothly as other gpus :p

thanks alot

tauta

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
hmm dunno

but i hope this helps anyone

i said : lets try downloading the beta driver ! and try it out !!!? version 285.79

amazingly it solved the problem no lag no lag after 20-30 mins on ultra with no AA

Thanks alot guys hope this helps you if u have any issue