C:WINDOWSSystem32svchost.exe -k netsvcs - automatic necess..

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

After finally upgrading my Win XP Pro to SP2, I'm trying to turn off the
services I don't want to run.

Is this service necessary? I am not on a network and I'm using third
part AV and Firewall.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

And, is there a reliable site to help one determine what services can be
made to either start manually or not at all, where I could sort some
more of this out?

Thanks.

Louise

Leave the "svchost.exe -k netsvcs" alone or you may
lose your internet connection.

Services Guide for Windows XP
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

A list of all the 'standard' services
http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Louise wrote:
> After finally upgrading my Win XP Pro to SP2, I'm trying to turn off the
> services I don't want to run.
>
> Is this service necessary? I am not on a network and I'm using third
> part AV and Firewall.

If you are not on a network, you don't need AV and Firewall and you can
deinstall all your network adapters which should take care of all
network services for you.

Gerald

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <uLw$7Z#jFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, vogt@spamcop.net
says...
> Louise wrote:
> > After finally upgrading my Win XP Pro to SP2, I'm trying to turn off the
> > services I don't want to run.
> >
> > Is this service necessary? I am not on a network and I'm using third
> > part AV and Firewall.
>
> If you are not on a network, you don't need AV and Firewall and you can
> deinstall all your network adapters which should take care of all
> network services for you.
>
> Gerald

Thanks - I'm trying that and so far, having set them to manual, all is
well.

Louise