Computer keeps rebooting

I am running Windows Xp, and have a problem that my computer decides to
reboot every now and then, whenever it chooses.

It gives no warning, just does it.

It gives the problem of a "graphics dvice driver". I am not particulaly good
at trying to sort out problems like this. Someone told me that the problem
was my monitor. I bought another monitor from a friend, but the problem still
continues. I cannot find a driver for the new monitor, is made by Avitron and
is called KDS. I would like to install a new driver, maybe that is the
problem?

It is just becoming so frustrating.

Can somone please help me!!!!

Graphics device driver refers to your video card, not the monitor. Open
device manager, and look for Display Adapters. That will tell you the kind
of video card you have. That is the driver that needs to be updated. You
can usually download them from your computer manufacturers web site, or the
video card makers...

"Kalino" <Kalino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows Xp, and have a problem that my computer decides to
> reboot every now and then, whenever it chooses.
>
> It gives no warning, just does it.
>
> It gives the problem of a "graphics dvice driver". I am not particulaly
good
> at trying to sort out problems like this. Someone told me that the problem
> was my monitor. I bought another monitor from a friend, but the problem
still
> continues. I cannot find a driver for the new monitor, is made by Avitron
and
> is called KDS. I would like to install a new driver, maybe that is the
> problem?
>
> It is just becoming so frustrating.
>
> Can somone please help me!!!!

Thanks for the help, but it does not help me. I have found the Video Card, it
is made by ATI Technologies, and is a 3D Rage IIC AGP, which means nothing to
me. The card is not listed on website, and I cannot seem to find a way of
contacting them on their website, apart from paying $1.25 a minute for
Technical support, which is pretty much a last resort.

Any more suggestions?

"jjjjj" wrote:

> Graphics device driver refers to your video card, not the monitor. Open
> device manager, and look for Display Adapters. That will tell you the kind
> of video card you have. That is the driver that needs to be updated. You
> can usually download them from your computer manufacturers web site, or the
> video card makers...
>

> "Kalino" <Kalino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Windows Xp, and have a problem that my computer decides to
> > reboot every now and then, whenever it chooses.
> >
> > It gives no warning, just does it.
> >
> > It gives the problem of a "graphics dvice driver". I am not particulaly
> good
> > at trying to sort out problems like this. Someone told me that the problem
> > was my monitor. I bought another monitor from a friend, but the problem
> still
> > continues. I cannot find a driver for the new monitor, is made by Avitron
> and
> > is called KDS. I would like to install a new driver, maybe that is the
> > problem?
> >
> > It is just becoming so frustrating.
> >
> > Can somone please help me!!!!

Jens

Just go to www.ati.com and enter RAGE IIc in the search field - this should
give you a good starting point.

Found this which you could check:
Rage I, Rage II/II+, Rage IIc and Rage PRO graphics adapters will not
function as secondary display adapters in a Windows 2000 / XP environment.
This limitation affects display adapters and multimedia products built with
the following ATI chips:
RAGE I
RAGE II/II+
RAGE IIC
RAGE PRO
These products will not function as secondary display adapter in Windows
2000 / XP.

Windows 2000 / XP initializes a secondary display adapter in a manner which
prohibits execution of the video BIOS on that adapter.

BIOS access is critical to the proper initialization of ATI Rage I, Rage
II/II+, Rage IIc and Rage PRO display adapters.

These graphics boards will function in Windows 2000 / XP , but only as
PRIMARY display adapters.

System configurations which use a Rage I, Rage II/II+, Rage IIc or Rage PRO
as a secondary display adapter are not supported.

Good luck

"jjjjj" wrote:

> Graphics device driver refers to your video card, not the monitor. Open
> device manager, and look for Display Adapters. That will tell you the kind
> of video card you have. That is the driver that needs to be updated. You
> can usually download them from your computer manufacturers web site, or the
> video card makers...
>

> "Kalino" <Kalino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Windows Xp, and have a problem that my computer decides to
> > reboot every now and then, whenever it chooses.
> >
> > It gives no warning, just does it.
> >
> > It gives the problem of a "graphics dvice driver". I am not particulaly
> good
> > at trying to sort out problems like this. Someone told me that the problem
> > was my monitor. I bought another monitor from a friend, but the problem
> still
> > continues. I cannot find a driver for the new monitor, is made by Avitron
> and
> > is called KDS. I would like to install a new driver, maybe that is the
> > problem?
> >
> > It is just becoming so frustrating.
> >
> > Can somone please help me!!!!

I have contacted ATI, and this is their response

"The driver for the Rage IIC and Windows XP comes with the operating system
and not from ATI. There are no drivers for this card in XP on the ATI
website."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and the problm still
persists?

So what do I have to do? Do I need to buy a new video card?

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks for your help

"Jens" wrote:

> Just go to www.ati.com and enter RAGE IIc in the search field - this should
> give you a good starting point.
>
> Found this which you could check:
> Rage I, Rage II/II+, Rage IIc and Rage PRO graphics adapters will not
> function as secondary display adapters in a Windows 2000 / XP environment.
> This limitation affects display adapters and multimedia products built with
> the following ATI chips:
> RAGE I
> RAGE II/II+
> RAGE IIC
> RAGE PRO
> These products will not function as secondary display adapter in Windows
> 2000 / XP.
>
> Windows 2000 / XP initializes a secondary display adapter in a manner which
> prohibits execution of the video BIOS on that adapter.
>
> BIOS access is critical to the proper initialization of ATI Rage I, Rage
> II/II+, Rage IIc and Rage PRO display adapters.
>
> These graphics boards will function in Windows 2000 / XP , but only as
> PRIMARY display adapters.
>
> System configurations which use a Rage I, Rage II/II+, Rage IIc or Rage PRO
> as a secondary display adapter are not supported.
>
> Good luck
>
> "jjjjj" wrote:
>
> > Graphics device driver refers to your video card, not the monitor. Open
> > device manager, and look for Display Adapters. That will tell you the kind
> > of video card you have. That is the driver that needs to be updated. You
> > can usually download them from your computer manufacturers web site, or the
> > video card makers...
> >

> > "Kalino" <Kalino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Windows Xp, and have a problem that my computer decides to
> > > reboot every now and then, whenever it chooses.
> > >
> > > It gives no warning, just does it.
> > >
> > > It gives the problem of a "graphics dvice driver". I am not particulaly
> > good
> > > at trying to sort out problems like this. Someone told me that the problem
> > > was my monitor. I bought another monitor from a friend, but the problem
> > still
> > > continues. I cannot find a driver for the new monitor, is made by Avitron
> > and
> > > is called KDS. I would like to install a new driver, maybe that is the
> > > problem?
> > >
> > > It is just becoming so frustrating.
> > >
> > > Can somone please help me!!!!

Jens

Well, Rage IIc was introduces in january 1998, so to be a bit rude i would
suggest that you purchase a new card. Prices start at 50€ for cards with
considerable more power that your Rage IIC.

/Jens