CD and CDRW drives strange behavior

All at once, both my CD-rom and CD-rw drives started the same thing. The
first disk I put in after a reboot works just fine. The second shows up in
Explorer labelled just like the first one, including the same files. Of
course, it won't work. Also, if a program autoruns, the second CD will
autorun the same startup as the first one. Games that require a CD will start
ok (if it's the first after reboot), but keep telling me to put in the
"correct CD" after the program is running. Example, the Myst URU game starts
correctly, but gives an error message that it can't find the correct CD. If I
put in a program install CD afterward, the Myst URU startup menu comes up (of
course, it won't work).
I have tried several fixes, including uninstalling and reinstalling the
drives and replacing the IDE cables. Still, no luck. I can't do a System
Restore apparently because the last point was a Windows Update.
Any ideas will be very much appreciated.
Ellis

Go to run,type:regedit In regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/
microsoft/windows/open set up.The cdrom listed needs to be the same as in
my computer,theres 2,source path and set-up i believe,either way if diffrent,
L.click then go to edit,modify,adjust the letter,when thru close out
regedit.The
2nd might be resources...

"Ellis" wrote:

> All at once, both my CD-rom and CD-rw drives started the same thing. The
> first disk I put in after a reboot works just fine. The second shows up in
> Explorer labelled just like the first one, including the same files. Of
> course, it won't work. Also, if a program autoruns, the second CD will
> autorun the same startup as the first one. Games that require a CD will start
> ok (if it's the first after reboot), but keep telling me to put in the
> "correct CD" after the program is running. Example, the Myst URU game starts
> correctly, but gives an error message that it can't find the correct CD. If I
> put in a program install CD afterward, the Myst URU startup menu comes up (of
> course, it won't work).
> I have tried several fixes, including uninstalling and reinstalling the
> drives and replacing the IDE cables. Still, no luck. I can't do a System
> Restore apparently because the last point was a Windows Update.
> Any ideas will be very much appreciated.
> Ellis

Thanks for the reply. Once I found what you describe, I didn't find anything
to change--or anything out of the ordinary. Is there more to what you were
saying?