Heavy processor demand in "system" in task manager

I noticed rather slow performance and a few programs will no longer run
properly. I checked task manager and "system" was consistantly pegged at 100%
with occaisional drops. I want to clarify this is "system" and not "system
idle". I noticed the problem was so severe when a flight sim could no longer
run. I have loaded and ran many spyware and virus checkers but none have
found anything causing this issue. Fully expecting a crash, I clicked on end
process for "system". It ceased the heavy processor use and everything ran
much faster as well as the flight sim would now run. I rebooted and the heavy
processor use was back. I ended the system process again and all was good. I
booted to safe mode and it was okay there. I rebooted to normal mode and
everything was working great. I had expected something was loading during
startup but now it wasn't doing it so I didn't worry about it. That was a
week ago. The problem reappeared again today. It took about three times
ending the "system" process before it would quit after reboot. It seems like
it's gone again but?????
Any ideas?
Thanks,,,Matt

WinXP home with SP2 and all latest updates from MS.

--
I used to be able to keep up on all this stuff!!

With system problems and/or services running problems,youre best bet is
to read and follow directions in kb310560 Also,if thiers a service causing a
problem,go to run,type:services.msc In msc,locate the service,double click
on it,then adjust to disable/auto/or end service

"Matt Brown" wrote:

> I noticed rather slow performance and a few programs will no longer run
> properly. I checked task manager and "system" was consistantly pegged at 100%
> with occaisional drops. I want to clarify this is "system" and not "system
> idle". I noticed the problem was so severe when a flight sim could no longer
> run. I have loaded and ran many spyware and virus checkers but none have
> found anything causing this issue. Fully expecting a crash, I clicked on end
> process for "system". It ceased the heavy processor use and everything ran
> much faster as well as the flight sim would now run. I rebooted and the heavy
> processor use was back. I ended the system process again and all was good. I
> booted to safe mode and it was okay there. I rebooted to normal mode and
> everything was working great. I had expected something was loading during
> startup but now it wasn't doing it so I didn't worry about it. That was a
> week ago. The problem reappeared again today. It took about three times
> ending the "system" process before it would quit after reboot. It seems like
> it's gone again but?????
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,,,Matt
>
> WinXP home with SP2 and all latest updates from MS.
>
> --
> I used to be able to keep up on all this stuff!!

I'll get into it deeper tomorrow. I looked at the services.msc but I have no
idea which service may be casuing the problem since I can't yet tie it down
to any one specific thing making it start. Maybe in time I will be able to
narrow it down. I'll look more at the kb310560 later. I assume it is a
process of elimination type search on that? i.e. stopping one thing and see
if the problem goes away? That wouldn't be too bad if it could get it to show
up again and be able to find whatever is causing it. My wife mentioned that
one of the grandkids got on Nick.com and was playing some games. She had to
end process on the game to get it to stop. That may be where it is coming
from. I may go and load one of the games from Nick.com and see if the problem
comes back again.
Thanks, Matt