Why is my fps so low in Counter Strike Source?

My fps jumps from 25-45 fps in counter strike source, on a sever with 50 ping or so. Here's my rig:

Pentium 4 3.2 HT ghz
Nvidia Geforce 8400 gs
3.1 gb usable ddr ram
Antec 380w psu
160 gb maxtor hdd

I have all my in-game video options set to a combination of: low, none, disabled (ex: windows aero extension). The only recommended setting I kept was the filtering, which is set at trilinear. Directx 9.0

I opened up my Nvidia control panel, went to steam.exe and changed some options to:

Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering Quality - High Performance
Vertical Sync - Force Off
Texture filtering - Anistropic sampling options - off
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization - on

So, is there any way I can get more fps? (I really don't want to use modified configs if I don't have to). If you have any feedback, PLEASE post. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about counter strike source
  1. that rig can be good for cs 1.6 but maybe specs are a little low for cs source.

go to the game menu and set everything to low, and see if the game keeps laging, if yes, lower the resolution, up to a point where you get good frames...
  2. sorry buddy but that PC couldnt run my hamsters wheel in his cage.

its about as powerfull as Belgium
  3. oi belgium held off the full nazi army for 3 weeks in ww2 which is more than france did...
    so we will have less of that thank you ;) they may have went down but they went down fighting with honor...

as for the pc. the gfx card is the problem. its pants. you want a minimum of a 96gt or at the most a 98gt(if you can get your hands on a 450w psu).
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming FPS Video Games