HELP: Multi processor sytem. TIA

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I'm planning to add a second processor to a Compaq Professional Workstation
5100 (Dual PII) According to Compaq's guide I need to put a heatsink bridge
between the 2 processors. Is this necessary? Or just compaq trying to get
more money out of me? If so where can I get one and what do I need to look
for. TIA

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:37:30 GMT, "That" <th@would.be.telling>
wrote:

>I'm planning to add a second processor to a Compaq Professional Workstation
>5100 (Dual PII) According to Compaq's guide I need to put a heatsink bridge
>between the 2 processors. Is this necessary? Or just compaq trying to get
>more money out of me? If so where can I get one and what do I need to look
>for. TIA

I'm not familiar with that system, but I suspect the bridge is
only to stabilize the two, make whole thing more rigid?
I'm assuming it has normal slot-end brackets for CPU cartridge
retention, for both slots.

If so you could install second CPU and see if it appears
mechanically sound. The bridge might be more important to help
survive potential shipping damage than for operation later.