Dell PDA with WPA2 ?

emlynfluff

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005

My bosses Dell PDA is running Windows Mobile 2003 second edition.
He'd like to use it on our office Cisco access points, which are
running WPA2. (pre-shared key)

Is there a hotfix available for Windows Mobile, like there is for XP
(on service pack 2) ? I've had a look, but can't one just yet.

Thanks in advance.

emlynfluff

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005

Hello David, thanks for the reply.

My line of thinking was, the model of the PDA didn't matter, as it's
the Windows mobile o/s that manages the wireless. Hence, I asked if
you could get a hotfix, like you can for XP. Although WPA2 does its
AES encryption on h/w, so I wonder if I need to find out if the
integrated Wi-Fi card is WPA2 ready ?

The PDA is an X30.

Cheers, Stuart.

On 30 Aug 2005 07:03:31 -0700, "Emlynfluff" <stu@kerridge.com> wrote:

>My bosses Dell PDA is running Windows Mobile 2003 second edition.

Well, you're definitely in line to become the next boss. You're lack
of specific model number is a clue that you're management material.
Keep up the obscurity, vagueness, and lack of specifics and you'll be
running the company. However, until that happens, little details like
the Dell PDA model number are required.

>He'd like to use it on our office Cisco access points, which are
>running WPA2. (pre-shared key)

There are 5 optional authentication options that can be used with
Cisco WPA2 encryption. Be careful as some clients don't support all
of them.

>Is there a hotfix available for Windows Mobile, like there is for XP
>(on service pack 2) ? I've had a look, but can't one just yet.

Not yet. Get your credit card ready:
http://www.funk.com/PressReleases/ody_c_v310_pr.asp
http://www.funk.com/radius/wlan/wlan_c_radius.asp

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558

On 30 Aug 2005 10:02:23 -0700, "Emlynfluff" <stu@kerridge.com> wrote:
>Although WPA2 does its
>AES encryption on h/w, so I wonder if I need to find out if the
>integrated Wi-Fi card is WPA2 ready ?

The original plan was that AES encryption requires a hardware chip to
do the number crunching. However, there have been numerous
implimentations where it was done in software. For example,
Microsloth does it all in software with:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=662bb74d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en

>The PDA is an X30.

Excellent. The Funk software will fit in the X30 without difficulty.
There may be other packages available. I suggest you post the same
question in the forums at:
http://www.aximsite.com

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558

> My bosses Dell PDA is running Windows Mobile 2003 second edition.
> He'd like to use it on our office Cisco access points, which are
> running WPA2. (pre-shared key)

Dell make more than one PDA, care to offer which one?

If it's the X3i then you're out of luck, Dell don't plan on providing an
upgrade for that one so you'll have to resort to paying money for a 3rd
party supplicant.

David.

> My line of thinking was, the model of the PDA didn't matter, as it's
> the Windows mobile o/s that manages the wireless. Hence, I asked if
> you could get a hotfix, like you can for XP. Although WPA2 does its
> AES encryption on h/w, so I wonder if I need to find out if the
> integrated Wi-Fi card is WPA2 ready ?

Nope, Windows Mobile 2003 is implemented per device model and hence
needs the right drivers/firmware update.

Like I said, X3i no support, I think there's support on Dells support
website, I take it you've looked there already?

David.

> Interesting that Windows Mobile is implemented per-device.

Well different devices have different hardware (often just subtle
changes) but still needs different drivers to cope, then each vendor
adds on their own utils so it's not necessarily just a quick patch as
the updates need to be vendor and device specific.

Bit of a bummer eh?

David.