Sign in with
Your question

Best power supply with cable management?

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2005 5:23:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been looking around quite a bit for a new power supply to fit in my new microATX case (Silverstone Sugo). I'd *really* like one with a modular/cable management setup if at all possible. I don't have a lot of room to work on and it's annoying to have all those cables everywhere (i'm not running a whole lotta devices and i have a low-power system).

I've been looking at the Antec NeoPower (expensive?) and just now the Sky Hawk Power One (cheap!) but i haven't been able to find much as far as reviews or people's experiences with PSUs with cable management systems. Any thoughts here? Or should i just wait until some other manufacturer puts one of these out?

Thanks!

Antec NeoPower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

SkyHawk Power One:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
September 8, 2005 9:27:04 AM

Neither, the first is overpriced and the second is crap.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Fortron Source 450W</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 8, 2005 2:47:03 PM

Better to get a reliable PSU, and then mod it yourself.

Just figure out what cables you want, dismantle the PSU and remove the unwanted ones, and then chop/change the ends about until you have the configuration you want. That's what I did.

Just make sure everything is insulated where necessary (inside the PSU, and at any joins between cables), and don't try to run too many molexes off a single line (so as to not overload the wires) - 3 will be fine, 4 probably ok.

Of course, this invalidates your warranty, but at least you're getting a good PSU with the cables YOU want.

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 09/08/05 03:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
September 8, 2005 3:49:23 PM

I'm sure that Fortron PSU is nice, but it doesn't appear to offer any modular cable management. Do they offer a unit that does?

I'm not wild about modding one myself, but that's definitely an option.

Thanks.
September 8, 2005 8:34:58 PM

That really depends on how much you want to spend!
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Blue Storm 400W $67</A>
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681..." target="_new">Blue Storm 500W $91</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 8, 2005 9:13:15 PM

look into OCZ Modstream.
September 9, 2005 7:27:30 AM

crashman, i'm not sure we're on the same page. it doesn't look like any of those PSU offer modular cable management systems. unless you're just suggesting that i mod it myself like another poster suggested.

as for the 850w PSU, i'm sure that's very, very, nice, but probably a bit more than i need for my low-power system. thanks ;) 
September 9, 2005 11:42:54 PM

thanks danizaken,
looks like the OCZ Modstream is in the same general price range as the Antec NeoPower on NewEgg. i'm assuming the consensus is the Modstream is a better unit?

i see Tom's didn't have great things to say about the OCZ they tested (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-...) but the reviews on NewEgg for the 450W are really positive (for what that's worth).

If i'm going to spend $100, i just want it to be super-solid.

I'm still a little confused about the Fortron recs above, but i don't see that they make a modular cable management unit. i guess that was a rec for DIY.

thanks!
September 10, 2005 12:32:08 AM

yeah, and i'm not likely to use up that much power either. i'm probably going to end up running one SATA HDD, one optical drive, my super-low power mb and CPU combo, and eventually (in theory) a real graphics card. oh, and a bunch of USB peripherals.

so besides the modular thing, i'm mainly looking for a solid, efficient PSU, especially since i've already got the low-power thing going.
September 12, 2005 10:19:09 PM

I did a bit more net research on my way to making a final decision. Opinions seem pretty favorable about both the Antec NeoPower and the OCZ PowerStream, although there seems to be a slight favor toward the NeoPower. The only negative thing i've heard here about the NeoPower is it's "overpriced". However, both these units are comparably priced at NewEgg. The NeoPower is explicitly ATX12V 2.0. The ModStream may be quieter.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a modular Fortron unit. I'm sure there will be a lot more modular options in the future, but thus far i haven't seen anything better than the NeoPower or ModStream for out-of-the-box modular cable management.

Thanks again.
September 13, 2005 6:50:59 PM

> 480W version of NeoPower is actually better its 500W brother when put under contant 500W of load.

Yeah, i'm starting to see more good things regarding this PSU. Doesn't sound like the noise and efficiency (idle/not under load) are stellar however.

Also, looks like you pay a premium for out-of-the-box modular cable management now too. I'm sure more and more high-end PSUs are going to be modular in the future. If you have anything resembling a SFF PC, this makes a big difference.
September 14, 2005 11:42:53 AM

Quote:
There's also plenty of mod guide on the web on how to make your own modular PSU.

Hmm.. You're giving me ideas here... :smile:

Since I'll need to dismantle my PSU soon anyway (one of the two fans is on the way out), I might just make mine modular with a selection of male/female molex connectors. That would be quite nice. I was planning on bolting a 120mm to it instead of the 2x 80mm it currently has too.. :evil: 

It's served me well... I don't see why I should get rid of it just for the sake of a less noisy fan :smile:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
September 14, 2005 1:18:49 PM

Quote:
Just like when I gave you the idea of pushing that 9800Pro to its limit.

Nah. Attempting 2V was all my idea.... Although I probably wouldn't have done the Vmod at all without your input. Still, at least I can speak from a position of authority about what's a safe voltage for a R360.... :evil: 

Quote:
I suppose you could always mount the fan externally.

That's what I was thinking too. Although there <i>might</i> be room inside... External might get a little close to my XP-120 too... :eek: 

Ah well, where there's a will there's a way, as they say :lol: 

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
!