"Open with" file associations

For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,

"This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".

Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
particular file type.

Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.

Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
how do I get it back?

What gives?

HELP PLEASE..

Even before I opened your post to enable me to read the whole thing, I
said to myself that you must have run some registry cleaner that
deleted your file-type entries, so the answer to your last question is
YES.

To get it back? Well, some registry cleaners make backups of what they
delete, sometimes in the directory where the cleaner program resides,
so have a look at yours. Failing that, the only thing that comes to
mind is a System Restore from an appropriate restore point.

TRENDING THREADS