Mouse/Keyboard/Sound stuttering - CPU spiking

I hope somebody can help. I have a Athlon 2500 with 512MB RAM running
Windows XP and for a long time it has been absolutely fine. However,
suddenly the mouse and keyboard entry have started stuttering and
looking at the task manager, every 20-30 seconds the CPU usage goes up
to 100% for a couple of seconds. I've done a Spybot check and used
Avast to check for viruses (two of which showed up and have been deleted
- they were trojans) but the problem still persists. Anyone know what I
can do now? It's very frustrating as the whole system seems to freeze
for a second and then resumes to be repeated soon after.

The only things I've done recently are installed a wireless network card
(which isn't connected to a router yet) so its still using a wired
network as usual. I use the internet a lot but I haven't installed
anything in particular apart from the usual Windows updates.

Can anyone help?
--
Newmark

freebirth001

i know this is an older thread. but this is the only one ive see the same issue as mine, and no answer >.< like the previous poster i am having the same issue. keyboard, mouse, and sound "stutter" the only difference is i see no jump in cpu usage. however i have a fairly high end machine and i may not be seeing a relatively smaller jump. i have the i7 quad core cpu at 2.67 ghz, with 9gigs of ddr3 memory. so the way its reaching any kind of memory or cpu limits and causing issues.

the main issue is the keyboard. this happens the most and is the most aggravating. its happened two times since beginning this post! it will randomly add exactly 7 additional characters of the last character i had typed. during the half second it takes to "type" these my keyboard doesn't recognize any characters i am typing. so this sentence. "the red fox jumped over the fence." can look like " the red foxxxxxxxxped over the nce" ok.. it actually happened for real with the space bar in that sentence >.< but i left both to show what it looks like. as you can see. this can be VERY annoying. the keyboard is physically clean. none of the keys are sticking. the drivers are up do date. and i have tried it with two separate keyboards and it still does it. i used the 1st gen logitech g15, and a basic keyboard. both of them are usb keyboards. i have no ps2 type keyboard to test.

when the sound sticks it happens most when i am playing through itunes. but happens with anything, browsers, system sounds, games, flash prams etc. usually when a sound is playing when the keyboard issue happens. but it doesn't happen all the time, maybe only about 70% of the time. anyways. its much like the keyboard. the sound stutters for about half a second. maybe a second at the most. taking the little snip-it of sound and playing it. i cant get a real count. but it sounds like it's repeated 7 times ,like the keyboard, .. but that may just be my mind making it sound like that. i have updates the drivers for the audio card. as well as the program the used for audio settings. with no effect.

the mouse issues happen the least. basically it acts as if it is on a bad surface { it is a laser mouse, the razer death adder so a decent quality gaming mouse} the optics are clean. and the drivers and software are up to date. this usually happens at the same time as the audio thing. however.