Problem with Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
January 20, 2005 10:00:24 AM

In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month plus
a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There were
various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.

I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
plan to another and back, etc.

I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to year
contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I said
then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed up and
she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release me from
the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said that I
want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call me within
two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.

I’m wondering – am I missing something here??

Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

More about : problem verizon

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:00:25 AM

nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is why
they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with
them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.

brian s.

"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
> plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
> were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
>

> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
> plan to another and back, etc.
>

> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
> they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
> verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
> year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I
> said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed
> up and she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release
> me from the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said
> that I want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call
> me within two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.
>

> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
>
> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:00:26 AM

You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
them remove them) you can switch without extending
your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
of a feature).

So you cannot switch to a plan that is no longer offered.
You can switch and then (within 30 days) revert to whatever
you switched from even if it's not currently offered. At least
this last part is true in California. Note that some promotions
are dated (end after a certain amount of time or on a
particular date. eg. <promo> 1yr. So I suppose it's possible
that you could have some promo that expired and they have
been continuing it on your plan anyway and when you
revert they don't re-activate it.

-Quick

Brian S. wrote:
> nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional
> plan" that is why they are telling you have to go another
> year. If you are going to be with them for a while then
> it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
> fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones
> away. Same with everything i guess. ie: hey can i get
> that part for my 1901 car, sorry it has been discontinued
> you will have to buy a new car etc.
>
> brian s.
>
> "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in
> message news:cGIHd.1071295$lR6.162336@news.easynews.com...
>> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000
>> minutes a month plus a second phone which was around
>> $120 per month before taxes. There were various plans,
>> such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
>>

>> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can
>> change from one plan to another and back, etc.
>>

>> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan,
>> and I was told that they now have a new plan which will
>> be comparable in price. So I told the verizon rep to
>> switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
>> year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan,
>> bla bla bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute
>> plan that was around when I signed up and she said well
>> that is no longer available. So I said then release me
>> from the contract and she said that that would cost me
>> $175. So I said that I want to speak to someone above
>> her, and she said someone will call me within two hours.
>> It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.
>>

>> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
>>
>> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?
January 20, 2005 10:19:43 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:24:10 -0500, Quick wrote
(in article <1106209280.86536@sj-nntpcache-5>):

> Subject: Re: Problem with Verizon
> From: "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
> Date: Today 3:24 AM
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>
> You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
> time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
> you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
> can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
> the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
> labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
> IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
> them remove them) you can switch without extending
> your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
> to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
> any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
> except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
> of a feature).

Interesting. Have you ever gotten any store to do this for you? I never
have. They've outright refused to make ANY changes without extending my
contract 1 year from the current date. :-(

Now I'm out of contract .... I can't do anything without signing a new one.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:19:44 AM

SinghaLvr wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:24:10 -0500, Quick wrote
> (in article <1106209280.86536@sj-nntpcache-5>):
>
>> Subject: Re: Problem with Verizon
>> From: "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
>> Date: Today 3:24 AM
>> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>>
>> You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
>> time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
>> you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
>> can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
>> the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
>> labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
>> IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
>> them remove them) you can switch without extending
>> your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
>> to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
>> any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
>> except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
>> of a feature).
>
> Interesting. Have you ever gotten any store to do this for you? I
> never have. They've outright refused to make ANY changes without
> extending my contract 1 year from the current date. :-(
>
> Now I'm out of contract .... I can't do anything without signing a
> new one.

Biggest problem is finding a sales rep that isn't out to screw you... They
don't get a cent in commision unless they get you to change plans and start
a new contract.. Any surprise they lied and told you you can't do that (IE
no money/commission for them) ?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:35:40 PM

Yes, anytime during the contract you can change to a then current plan,
meaning that you are not locked in to a plan that can not be changed to
meet changes in your calling volume/pattern, or new lower rates. If you
are interested in changing carriers, or no longer having any wireless
service, then making a plan change might not save enough money to cover
the early termination fee.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:48:45 PM

Hi Brian,

thanks for replying

> nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is
> why

so if the plans when I took the service are no longer, and these new ones
are 'promotional plans' then what plans can I change to?

> they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with

Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
contract is up, if not sooner.

> them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
> fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
> everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
> has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.
>
> brian s.
>
> "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
>> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
>> plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
>> were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
>>

>> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
>> plan to another and back, etc.
>>

>> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told
>> that they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I
>> told the verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to
>> commit to year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla
>> bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when
>> I signed up and she said well that is no longer available. So I said then
>> release me from the contract and she said that that would cost me $175.
>> So I said that I want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone
>> will call me within two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has
>> called.
>>

>> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
>>
>> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:54:17 PM

Peter, aren't you a commissioned wireless sales agent?

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> SinghaLvr wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:24:10 -0500, Quick wrote
>> (in article <1106209280.86536@sj-nntpcache-5>):
>>
>>> Subject: Re: Problem with Verizon
>>> From: "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
>>> Date: Today 3:24 AM
>>> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
>>>
>>> You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
>>> time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
>>> you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
>>> can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
>>> the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
>>> labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
>>> IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
>>> them remove them) you can switch without extending
>>> your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
>>> to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
>>> any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
>>> except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
>>> of a feature).
>>
>> Interesting. Have you ever gotten any store to do this for you? I
>> never have. They've outright refused to make ANY changes without
>> extending my contract 1 year from the current date. :-(
>>
>> Now I'm out of contract .... I can't do anything without signing a
>> new one.
>
> Biggest problem is finding a sales rep that isn't out to screw you... They
> don't get a cent in commision unless they get you to change plans and
> start a new contract.. Any surprise they lied and told you you can't do
> that (IE no money/commission for them) ?

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:54:18 PM

Ben Skversky wrote:
> Peter, aren't you a commissioned wireless sales agent?

Nope.. work for a business that is an authorized agent. Computer/Cellphone
sales/repair, salary no commission....

Spend a good portion of my time explaining the true facts, IE the verizon
sales guy lied....

Before my current position, had an extra/temp verizon employee for the xmas
rush do some finageling to change my contract end date (it was due for NE2),
reset my date so it looked like i did the NE2 and steal the new phone/sell
it on ebay/and reset my date. Sorry for ranting about temp employees that
are thiefs, but I am STILL suffering from getting ripped off, and tend to be
a little pessimistic about some agents honesty, especially verizon's
response of they are not responsible for an employees criminal behavior.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:18:56 AM

> Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
> contract is up, if not sooner.

And you really think any of the others are any better? (in regards to
contract ploys)

If you're happy with the service (signal strength, voice quality etc), keep
it and extend the plan if you want to take advantage of the promo. If you
aren't happy with the service, then stick it out or pay the $175 per line to
cancel the contract early.

We used Alltel and cingular in the past and for about a year, before moving
to a FS plan, we had phones activated on verizon, Alltel, and cingular
networks. They are all bad about CS and contracts... cingular has a call
center in town where many of my friends work - the father of my daughter's
friend runs the call center. It's weird calling to complain and knowing the
person you are talking to... but it didn't get me any special favors when it
came to problems. But the reason I left cingular was coverage...

I have no regrets about staying with verizon for the next two years - I'm
happy with the coverage and the call quality. I haven't had a dropped call
in months... I can't remember the last time I lost a call when I wasn't in a
moving car on the fringes of the service area. When the kids go to school
sporting events, they are the only ones with coverage out in the sticks.
Sprint, ATT and Cingular phones are dead.... (Alltel should have coverage
since they share with verizon).

Those things more than make up for the customer service and contract
extensions...
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:29:53 AM

If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?

I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
about it.

Oh yeah, and when they screw up, tell them you want compensation. One
month my bill was $10 because od dumb things they did on a customer
service level. (most of the time they are pleasant and competent)

-Pete

Josh Grameson wrote:
> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
> plan to another and back, etc.
>
> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
> they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
> verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to year
> contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I said
> then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed up and
> she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release me from
> the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said that I
> want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call me within
> two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.
>

> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
>
> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:29:54 AM

speedy wrote:
> If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
> customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
> really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?
>
> I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
> and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
> about it.

Oh, really. First, you agree to the $175 when you agree to the contract, and if
you don't pay it, and terminate early, VZW has every right to go after you for
the fee. Second, I've never known ANY carrier to reimburse a customer for
terminating service early with another carrier. It will not happen.

Where did you get this information?

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:05:48 AM

> Oh, really. First, you agree to the $175 when you agree to the contract,
> and if you don't pay it, and terminate early, VZW has every right to go
> after you for the fee.

Yes.. by sending collection agents after you... and if you refuse to pay,
they can sue you, just as any other creditor can if you refuse to pay. In
addition, it will go on your credit report as a negative and will be stuck
there for 7 years. If you try to get a home loan, the bank will make you pay
off all negatives before they'll give you a loan (home owners are more
likely to be sued.)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:58:56 PM

> Hi Brian,
>
> thanks for replying
>

>> nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is
>> why
>
> so if the plans when I took the service are no longer, and these new ones
> are 'promotional plans' then what plans can I change to?
>
>> they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with
>
> Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
> contract is up, if not sooner.

Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog. Our
phones that we had for 4 years no longer worked out our house. Their
"story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore. We were
reassured many times it would get better and they sold us a phone with GSM
that never worked at our house. Since it did not get better we waited
until each of our four phones went out of contract and ported them to
Verizon. Actually we bit the bullet on the GSM phone and paid the ETF
because otherwise we were just throwing money out the window. I am disabled
and this is how family members keep in touch with me but I could no longer
use my phone. It took almost a year. We complained to the BBS which was
useless it merely sicked the customer service rep from hell on us who
berated us for waiting so long to complain. We had asked about our poor
service many times but I guess we needed to ask for our money back right
away not after waiting for the promised improved service to happen.

In any case, we got a letter, recently, asking us to come back. We wrote
to that office and someone there finally heard us and at least gave us the
money back for the GSM phone after we sent it back. But we wasted so much
money for so long.

I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better plan
"that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a phone. She
didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer included. It took months
and months of incorrect billing and phone calls to get that mess cleared up.

What is nice about Verizon is that everything was outlined and explained to
us. And the Verizon phone works better at our house than Cingular ever
did. My husband can now call me from inside stores. He tried on a coat a
few weeks ago and sent me a picture to see if I liked it. LOL

>> them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
>> fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
>> everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
>> has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.
>>
>> brian s.
>>
>> "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
>>> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
>>> plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
>>> were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
>>>

>>> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
>>> plan to another and back, etc.
>>>

>>> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told
>>> that they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I
>>> told the verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to
>>> commit to year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla
>>> bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around
>>> when I signed up and she said well that is no longer available. So I
>>> said then release me from the contract and she said that that would cost
>>> me $175. So I said that I want to speak to someone above her, and she
>>> said someone will call me within two hours. It's been over 2 days and no
>>> one has called.
>>>

>>> I'm wondering - am I missing something here??
>>>
>>> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

January 22, 2005 5:46:58 AM

Hey Look Forest, a top Post! Just Kidding....rat bastards.

"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
plus
> a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There were
> various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
>

> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
> plan to another and back, etc.
>

> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
> they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
> verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
year
> contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I said
> then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed up and
> she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release me from
> the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said that I
> want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call me
within
> two hours. It's been over 2 days and no one has called.
>

> I'm wondering - am I missing something here??
>
> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

Everything Verizon does, everything is not in your interest or benefit
whatsoever. Yes, of course they are there to make money...why else? Why some
people will chime in and state the obvious is beyond my knowledge....but
plans and promotions will always change even if it's the same amounts of
money/minutes/time which forces you into another contract. About the call
back? Between you and me, they'll probably never call you back and you'll
never be able to speak to the same person twice. If you don't get your
problem solved on one phone call then the next time you call you'll have to
start all over again. It's like that insurance commercial where the guy has
a tape recording of all his information and just plays it into the phone for
the insurance agent because he has to keep calling back. I had a $15 dollar
dispute with Verizon months ago and it took about 7 phone calls and approx 8
hours to resolve. Now, 8 hours to resolve a $15 dispute which was credited
back to me is literally not worth my time since my time is worth more then
that...but I'll be damned if I let Verizon steal any additional money from
me then they already do. It's obvious they make it VERY difficult for
customer's to get refunds or get problems resolved...to me (which is
seriously probably true) they use incompetent workers and idiots as
employees as a deterrent to even call them with disputes. I know my father
passed up several misc charges in the total amount of $26 since he just
doesn't have the time or energy to talk to those people...who actually would
probably mess things up anyway or just aggravate him in the long run. He let
it go, but I cannot.
Don't ask me how I got talking about all this...but I certainly have more
information coming into my head then I can put down on the keyboard...and I
type at least 80 wpm too.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:32:35 PM

> Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog.

Likewise, some people look at Verizon as being dependent upon the
technology from 1983...

> Our
> phones that we had for 4 years no longer worked out our house.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> Their
> "story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore.

I'm pretty sure that was an outright lie.

> We were
> reassured many times it would get better and they sold us a phone with GSM
> that never worked at our house.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that.

> Since it did not get better we waited
> until each of our four phones went out of contract and ported them to
> Verizon.

Good that you found something better, that's what's nice about a
somewhat free country.

> Actually we bit the bullet on the GSM phone and paid the ETF
> because otherwise we were just throwing money out the window. I am disabled
> and this is how family members keep in touch with me but I could no longer
> use my phone. It took almost a year. We complained to the BBS which was
> useless it merely sicked the customer service rep from hell on us who
> berated us for waiting so long to complain. We had asked about our poor
> service many times but I guess we needed to ask for our money back right
> away not after waiting for the promised improved service to happen.

If the phone didn't work at your house, why *didn't* you take it back
right away?

> In any case, we got a letter, recently, asking us to come back. We wrote
> to that office and someone there finally heard us and at least gave us the
> money back for the GSM phone after we sent it back. But we wasted so much
> money for so long.

That was very nice of Cingular to refund the money like that.

> I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better plan
> "that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a phone. She
> didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer included. It took months
> and months of incorrect billing and phone calls to get that mess cleared up.

Actually, Verizon Wireless is known for billing errors.

> What is nice about Verizon is that everything was outlined and explained to
> us. And the Verizon phone works better at our house than Cingular ever
> did. My husband can now call me from inside stores. He tried on a coat a
> few weeks ago and sent me a picture to see if I liked it. LOL

:-)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:32:36 PM

Tropical Haven wrote:
>> Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog.
>> Their "story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore.
>
> I'm pretty sure that was an outright lie.

I guarantee it was. There is no such requirement to drop analog. Carriers will
not be required to maintain analog after '08 and they are not required to
expand analog coverage now, but they don't *have* to drop it.

>> I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better
>> plan "that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a
>> phone. She didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer
>> included. It took months and months of incorrect billing and phone
>> calls to get that mess cleared up.
>
> Actually, Verizon Wireless is known for billing errors.

All of the carriers have billing issues. (Not that that makes it OK.)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:34:25 PM

speedy wrote:
> If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
> customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
> really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?
>
> I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
> and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
> about it.
>
> Oh yeah, and when they screw up, tell them you want compensation. One
> month my bill was $10 because od dumb things they did on a customer
> service level. (most of the time they are pleasant and competent)

I wish someone would screw up and make my mobile bill $10.
!