Problem with Verizon

In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month plus
a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There were
various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.

I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
plan to another and back, etc.

I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to year
contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I said
then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed up and
she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release me from
the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said that I
want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call me within
two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.

I’m wondering – am I missing something here??

Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?
17 answers Last reply
More about problem verizon

    nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is why
    they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with
    them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
    fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
    everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
    has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.

    brian s.

    "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    > In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
    > plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
    > were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
    >

    > I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
    > plan to another and back, etc.
    >

    > I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
    > they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
    > verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
    > year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I
    > said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed
    > up and she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release
    > me from the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said
    > that I want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call
    > me within two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.
    >

    > I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
    >
    > Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

    You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
    time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
    you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
    can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
    the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
    labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
    IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
    them remove them) you can switch without extending
    your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
    to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
    any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
    except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
    of a feature).

    So you cannot switch to a plan that is no longer offered.
    You can switch and then (within 30 days) revert to whatever
    you switched from even if it's not currently offered. At least
    this last part is true in California. Note that some promotions
    are dated (end after a certain amount of time or on a
    particular date. eg. <promo> 1yr. So I suppose it's possible
    that you could have some promo that expired and they have
    been continuing it on your plan anyway and when you
    revert they don't re-activate it.

    -Quick

    Brian S. wrote:
    > nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional
    > plan" that is why they are telling you have to go another
    > year. If you are going to be with them for a while then
    > it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
    > fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones
    > away. Same with everything i guess. ie: hey can i get
    > that part for my 1901 car, sorry it has been discontinued
    > you will have to buy a new car etc.
    >
    > brian s.
    >
    > "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in
    > message news:cGIHd.1071295$lR6.162336@news.easynews.com...
    >> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000
    >> minutes a month plus a second phone which was around
    >> $120 per month before taxes. There were various plans,
    >> such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
    >>

    >> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can
    >> change from one plan to another and back, etc.
    >>

    >> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan,
    >> and I was told that they now have a new plan which will
    >> be comparable in price. So I told the verizon rep to
    >> switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
    >> year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan,
    >> bla bla bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute
    >> plan that was around when I signed up and she said well
    >> that is no longer available. So I said then release me
    >> from the contract and she said that that would cost me
    >> $175. So I said that I want to speak to someone above
    >> her, and she said someone will call me within two hours.
    >> It’s been over 2 days and no one has called.
    >>

    >> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
    >>
    >> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:24:10 -0500, Quick wrote
    (in article <1106209280.86536@sj-nntpcache-5>):

    > Subject: Re: Problem with Verizon
    > From: "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
    > Date: Today 3:24 AM
    > Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
    >
    > You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
    > time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
    > you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
    > can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
    > the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
    > labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
    > IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
    > them remove them) you can switch without extending
    > your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
    > to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
    > any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
    > except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
    > of a feature).

    Interesting. Have you ever gotten any store to do this for you? I never
    have. They've outright refused to make ANY changes without extending my
    contract 1 year from the current date. :-(

    Now I'm out of contract .... I can't do anything without signing a new one.

    SinghaLvr wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:24:10 -0500, Quick wrote
    > (in article <1106209280.86536@sj-nntpcache-5>):
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Problem with Verizon
    >> From: "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
    >> Date: Today 3:24 AM
    >> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.verizon
    >>
    >> You can switch to any *currently offered* plan at any
    >> time with no penalty (no penalty for canceling the plan
    >> you are on and no extension to your commitment). You
    >> can do this. The extra part is the promotions. Look at
    >> the plans on the web site. Notice there is a column
    >> labeled "Promotion". This usually includes things like
    >> IN and N&W. If you do not accept the promotions (have
    >> them remove them) you can switch without extending
    >> your commitment. If you do get the promotion you have
    >> to extend your commitment for 1 or 2 years (I haven't seen
    >> any plan promotions that require a 2 year commitment
    >> except for NE2 which isn't really a promotion but more
    >> of a feature).
    >
    > Interesting. Have you ever gotten any store to do this for you? I
    > never have. They've outright refused to make ANY changes without
    > extending my contract 1 year from the current date. :-(
    >
    > Now I'm out of contract .... I can't do anything without signing a
    > new one.

    Biggest problem is finding a sales rep that isn't out to screw you... They
    don't get a cent in commision unless they get you to change plans and start
    a new contract.. Any surprise they lied and told you you can't do that (IE
    no money/commission for them) ?

    Yes, anytime during the contract you can change to a then current plan,
    meaning that you are not locked in to a plan that can not be changed to
    meet changes in your calling volume/pattern, or new lower rates. If you
    are interested in changing carriers, or no longer having any wireless
    service, then making a plan change might not save enough money to cover
    the early termination fee.

    Hi Brian,

    thanks for replying

    > nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is
    > why

    so if the plans when I took the service are no longer, and these new ones
    are 'promotional plans' then what plans can I change to?

    > they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with

    Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
    contract is up, if not sooner.

    > them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
    > fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
    > everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
    > has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.
    >
    > brian s.
    >
    > "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    >> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
    >> plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
    >> were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
    >>

    >> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
    >> plan to another and back, etc.
    >>

    >> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told
    >> that they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I
    >> told the verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to
    >> commit to year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla
    >> bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when
    >> I signed up and she said well that is no longer available. So I said then
    >> release me from the contract and she said that that would cost me $175.
    >> So I said that I want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone
    >> will call me within two hours. It’s been over 2 days and no one has
    >> called.
    >>

    >> I’m wondering – am I missing something here??
    >>
    >> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

    Peter, aren't you a commissioned wireless sales agent?

    Ben Skversky wrote:
    > Peter, aren't you a commissioned wireless sales agent?

    Nope.. work for a business that is an authorized agent. Computer/Cellphone
    sales/repair, salary no commission....

    Spend a good portion of my time explaining the true facts, IE the verizon
    sales guy lied....

    Before my current position, had an extra/temp verizon employee for the xmas
    rush do some finageling to change my contract end date (it was due for NE2),
    reset my date so it looked like i did the NE2 and steal the new phone/sell
    it on ebay/and reset my date. Sorry for ranting about temp employees that
    are thiefs, but I am STILL suffering from getting ripped off, and tend to be
    a little pessimistic about some agents honesty, especially verizon's
    response of they are not responsible for an employees criminal behavior.

    > Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
    > contract is up, if not sooner.

    And you really think any of the others are any better? (in regards to
    contract ploys)

    If you're happy with the service (signal strength, voice quality etc), keep
    it and extend the plan if you want to take advantage of the promo. If you
    aren't happy with the service, then stick it out or pay the $175 per line to
    cancel the contract early.

    We used Alltel and cingular in the past and for about a year, before moving
    to a FS plan, we had phones activated on verizon, Alltel, and cingular
    networks. They are all bad about CS and contracts... cingular has a call
    center in town where many of my friends work - the father of my daughter's
    friend runs the call center. It's weird calling to complain and knowing the
    person you are talking to... but it didn't get me any special favors when it
    came to problems. But the reason I left cingular was coverage...

    I have no regrets about staying with verizon for the next two years - I'm
    happy with the coverage and the call quality. I haven't had a dropped call
    in months... I can't remember the last time I lost a call when I wasn't in a
    moving car on the fringes of the service area. When the kids go to school
    sporting events, they are the only ones with coverage out in the sticks.
    Sprint, ATT and Cingular phones are dead.... (Alltel should have coverage
    since they share with verizon).

    Those things more than make up for the customer service and contract
    extensions...

    If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
    customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
    really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?

    I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
    and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
    about it.

    Oh yeah, and when they screw up, tell them you want compensation. One
    month my bill was $10 because od dumb things they did on a customer
    service level. (most of the time they are pleasant and competent)

    -Pete

    speedy wrote:
    > If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
    > customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
    > really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?
    >
    > I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
    > and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
    > about it.

    Oh, really. First, you agree to the $175 when you agree to the contract, and if
    you don't pay it, and terminate early, VZW has every right to go after you for
    the fee. Second, I've never known ANY carrier to reimburse a customer for
    terminating service early with another carrier. It will not happen.

    Where did you get this information?

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    > Oh, really. First, you agree to the $175 when you agree to the contract,
    > and if you don't pay it, and terminate early, VZW has every right to go
    > after you for the fee.

    Yes.. by sending collection agents after you... and if you refuse to pay,
    they can sue you, just as any other creditor can if you refuse to pay. In
    addition, it will go on your credit report as a negative and will be stuck
    there for 7 years. If you try to get a home loan, the bank will make you pay
    off all negatives before they'll give you a loan (home owners are more
    likely to be sued.)

    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > thanks for replying
    >

    >> nope because it isn't an actual plan it is a "promotional plan" that is
    >> why
    >
    > so if the plans when I took the service are no longer, and these new ones
    > are 'promotional plans' then what plans can I change to?
    >
    >> they are telling you have to go another year. If you are going to be with
    >
    > Actualy after this ordeal I am planning on changing providers when this
    > contract is up, if not sooner.

    Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog. Our
    phones that we had for 4 years no longer worked out our house. Their
    "story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore. We were
    reassured many times it would get better and they sold us a phone with GSM
    that never worked at our house. Since it did not get better we waited
    until each of our four phones went out of contract and ported them to
    Verizon. Actually we bit the bullet on the GSM phone and paid the ETF
    because otherwise we were just throwing money out the window. I am disabled
    and this is how family members keep in touch with me but I could no longer
    use my phone. It took almost a year. We complained to the BBS which was
    useless it merely sicked the customer service rep from hell on us who
    berated us for waiting so long to complain. We had asked about our poor
    service many times but I guess we needed to ask for our money back right
    away not after waiting for the promised improved service to happen.

    In any case, we got a letter, recently, asking us to come back. We wrote
    to that office and someone there finally heard us and at least gave us the
    money back for the GSM phone after we sent it back. But we wasted so much
    money for so long.

    I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better plan
    "that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a phone. She
    didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer included. It took months
    and months of incorrect billing and phone calls to get that mess cleared up.

    What is nice about Verizon is that everything was outlined and explained to
    us. And the Verizon phone works better at our house than Cingular ever
    did. My husband can now call me from inside stores. He tried on a coat a
    few weeks ago and sent me a picture to see if I liked it. LOL

    >> them for a while then it isn't an issue but i can see how you would get
    >> fustrated. They make new plans and take the old ones away. Same with
    >> everything i guess. ie: hey can i get that part for my 1901 car, sorry it
    >> has been discontinued you will have to buy a new car etc.
    >>
    >> brian s.
    >>
    >> "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    >>> In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
    >>> plus a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There
    >>> were various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
    >>>

    >>> I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
    >>> plan to another and back, etc.
    >>>

    >>> I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told
    >>> that they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I
    >>> told the verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to
    >>> commit to year contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla
    >>> bla. So I said then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around
    >>> when I signed up and she said well that is no longer available. So I
    >>> said then release me from the contract and she said that that would cost
    >>> me $175. So I said that I want to speak to someone above her, and she
    >>> said someone will call me within two hours. It's been over 2 days and no
    >>> one has called.
    >>>

    >>> I'm wondering - am I missing something here??
    >>>
    >>> Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

    Hey Look Forest, a top Post! Just Kidding....rat bastards.

    "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    > In July I signed up for one year with verizon for 2000 minutes a month
    plus
    > a second phone which was around $120 per month before taxes. There were
    > various plans, such as 800 minutes for $59, and more.
    >

    > I was told then that at anytime during my contract I can change from one
    > plan to another and back, etc.
    >

    > I called on Tuesday to switch to the 800 minutes plan, and I was told that
    > they now have a new plan which will be comparable in price. So I told the
    > verizon rep to switch me to it. She said that I would need to commit to
    year
    > contract to do this, cause this is some new plan, bla bla bla. So I said
    > then switch me to the 800 minute plan that was around when I signed up and
    > she said well that is no longer available. So I said then release me from
    > the contract and she said that that would cost me $175. So I said that I
    > want to speak to someone above her, and she said someone will call me
    within
    > two hours. It's been over 2 days and no one has called.
    >

    > I'm wondering - am I missing something here??
    >
    > Do I have any recourse? Any suggestions?

    Everything Verizon does, everything is not in your interest or benefit
    whatsoever. Yes, of course they are there to make money...why else? Why some
    people will chime in and state the obvious is beyond my knowledge....but
    plans and promotions will always change even if it's the same amounts of
    money/minutes/time which forces you into another contract. About the call
    back? Between you and me, they'll probably never call you back and you'll
    never be able to speak to the same person twice. If you don't get your
    problem solved on one phone call then the next time you call you'll have to
    start all over again. It's like that insurance commercial where the guy has
    a tape recording of all his information and just plays it into the phone for
    the insurance agent because he has to keep calling back. I had a $15 dollar
    dispute with Verizon months ago and it took about 7 phone calls and approx 8
    hours to resolve. Now, 8 hours to resolve a $15 dispute which was credited
    back to me is literally not worth my time since my time is worth more then
    that...but I'll be damned if I let Verizon steal any additional money from
    me then they already do. It's obvious they make it VERY difficult for
    customer's to get refunds or get problems resolved...to me (which is
    seriously probably true) they use incompetent workers and idiots as
    employees as a deterrent to even call them with disputes. I know my father
    passed up several misc charges in the total amount of $26 since he just
    doesn't have the time or energy to talk to those people...who actually would
    probably mess things up anyway or just aggravate him in the long run. He let
    it go, but I cannot.
    Don't ask me how I got talking about all this...but I certainly have more
    information coming into my head then I can put down on the keyboard...and I
    type at least 80 wpm too.

    > Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog.

    Likewise, some people look at Verizon as being dependent upon the
    technology from 1983...

    > Our
    > phones that we had for 4 years no longer worked out our house.

    I'm sorry to hear that.

    > Their
    > "story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore.

    I'm pretty sure that was an outright lie.

    > We were
    > reassured many times it would get better and they sold us a phone with GSM
    > that never worked at our house.

    Again, I'm sorry to hear that.

    > Since it did not get better we waited
    > until each of our four phones went out of contract and ported them to
    > Verizon.

    Good that you found something better, that's what's nice about a
    somewhat free country.

    > Actually we bit the bullet on the GSM phone and paid the ETF
    > because otherwise we were just throwing money out the window. I am disabled
    > and this is how family members keep in touch with me but I could no longer
    > use my phone. It took almost a year. We complained to the BBS which was
    > useless it merely sicked the customer service rep from hell on us who
    > berated us for waiting so long to complain. We had asked about our poor
    > service many times but I guess we needed to ask for our money back right
    > away not after waiting for the promised improved service to happen.

    If the phone didn't work at your house, why *didn't* you take it back
    right away?

    > In any case, we got a letter, recently, asking us to come back. We wrote
    > to that office and someone there finally heard us and at least gave us the
    > money back for the GSM phone after we sent it back. But we wasted so much
    > money for so long.

    That was very nice of Cingular to refund the money like that.

    > I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better plan
    > "that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a phone. She
    > didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer included. It took months
    > and months of incorrect billing and phone calls to get that mess cleared up.

    Actually, Verizon Wireless is known for billing errors.

    > What is nice about Verizon is that everything was outlined and explained to
    > us. And the Verizon phone works better at our house than Cingular ever
    > did. My husband can now call me from inside stores. He tried on a coat a
    > few weeks ago and sent me a picture to see if I liked it. LOL

    :-)

    Tropical Haven wrote:
    >> Don't go to Cingular. They "upgraded" techonology and dropped analog.
    >> Their "story" was the FCC forced them to not use the towers anymore.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that was an outright lie.

    I guarantee it was. There is no such requirement to drop analog. Carriers will
    not be required to maintain analog after '08 and they are not required to
    expand analog coverage now, but they don't *have* to drop it.

    >> I won't tell you about the time the person signed us up for a better
    >> plan "that was exactly the same as our plan" when we went in to add a
    >> phone. She didn't mention that mobile to mobile was no longer
    >> included. It took months and months of incorrect billing and phone
    >> calls to get that mess cleared up.
    >
    > Actually, Verizon Wireless is known for billing errors.

    All of the carriers have billing issues. (Not that that makes it OK.)

    speedy wrote:
    > If the service is acceptable so far, just go with it. I've been a
    > customer for three years now and have switched plans NUMEROUS times. You
    > really think they will get their $175 if you tell them to take a hike?
    >
    > I also had a friend tell me he switched from verixzon to another carrier
    > and the new company took care of the "fee." He didnt have to worry
    > about it.
    >
    > Oh yeah, and when they screw up, tell them you want compensation. One
    > month my bill was $10 because od dumb things they did on a customer
    > service level. (most of the time they are pleasant and competent)

    I wish someone would screw up and make my mobile bill $10.

Verizon Switch Internet Service Providers Product