Wireless bridge, modded XBox, and FTP issues

Scott

I have a modded XBox connected to my network via a DLink GWL-810
bridge. XBox live works fine. But...

I can't FTP to my XBox. I have set a static IP address on the XBox but
my computers don't see the XBox on the LAN. When I connect the same
XBox directly to the LAN (wired connection), FTP works fine.

What determines the IP address of a device connected to a wireless
bridge?

Thanks in advance!!

On 30 Aug 2005 08:11:16 -0700, scott@rivendellfarm.us wrote:

>I have a modded XBox connected to my network via a DLink GWL-810
>bridge. XBox live works fine. But...
>
>I can't FTP to my XBox. I have set a static IP address on the XBox but
>my computers don't see the XBox on the LAN. When I connect the same
>XBox directly to the LAN (wired connection), FTP works fine.
>
>What determines the IP address of a device connected to a wireless
>bridge?

If it works wired, then it's a wireless problem. The problem *MIGHT*
be the encryption key setup between your unspecified wireless access
point or unspecified wireless router. Try it without encryption and
see if you get an IP address on the Xbox. If that works, and you're
using WEP, then try using a Hex web key instead of ASCII.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558

Scott

Thanks David -

I'm running 2 US Robotics USR5461 B/G Wireless routers, one LinkSys
WRT-55G wireless router, all 3 connected to 3 D-Link Gigabit switches.
There are 6 computers on the LAN, 4 ReplayTV's, and the wireless
routers. I'm using a DSL modem (Westell) and letting the modem assign
DHCP addresses to all of the above except 2 of the computers which have
static IP addresses. They're all in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott

Jeff - thanks for the reply. I'm not running encryption on any of the
3 wireless routers (please see the above post for specifics). We live
in the middle of nowhere, the bears and deer don't have wireless (yet).

Thanks again,

Scott

> What determines the IP address of a device connected to a wireless
> bridge?

The DHCP server on the other side of the bridge or the static IP address
that you have configured.

You've only quoted on side of the bridge, presumably there's another
wireless router to which you are connecting. Make/model/config details.

Likewise, you haven't provided any details on the IP addressing in use.

Jeff will have to upgrade his crystal ball, he's not going to be
happy...

David.

On 30 Aug 2005 10:42:11 -0700, scott@rivendellfarm.us wrote:

>I'm running 2 US Robotics USR5461 B/G Wireless routers, one LinkSys
>WRT-55G wireless router, all 3 connected to 3 D-Link Gigabit switches.
>There are 6 computers on the LAN, 4 ReplayTV's, and the wireless
>routers. I'm using a DSL modem (Westell) and letting the modem assign
>DHCP addresses to all of the above except 2 of the computers which have
>static IP addresses. They're all in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

Well, if you have similar computers connected via wireless in the same
way the Xbox is connected, and it's not an encryption issue, and the
Xobx works with a wired connection, then by process of elimination, it
has to be an Xbox or DLink DWL-810 issue. Some ideas:

1. Check the CAT5 cable between the Xbox and the DWL-810. Yeah, I
know it's dumb but it happens. Also check the polarity of the cable.
It *MIGHT* (not sure) require a crossover ethernet cable.

2. Take the Xbox out of the picture and try using the DWL-810 with
one of the other computers. If it works, then the problem is in the
Xbox (which I know nothing about).

# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS