Do i need a Ground/Earth wall socket?

G

I just set up my computer in a new room but the room dosen't have any wall sockets with ground/earth. Can I plug my computer in to one of these non-earthed sockets, or should I pay an electrician to install an earthed socket?

One electrician told me its not neccessary but I prefer to ask here rather than to just take his advice.

Thanks
Zach

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There was a guy in here who got shocked every time he touched his system! There was an imbalance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Depends on how much you don't want your components to get destroyed by static. To me its a big deal, to others they may like replacing components all the time. Not sure I understand the two posts before mine o_O

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Get one it, protects most of your components. Additionally you could get a surge protector with noise filters to protect your system even more! :bounce: