I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
However the problem still is happening.
Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as
trying some registery suggestions people have made.
Any ideas are welcome.
Ellis

A couple of thoughts...

Do the BIOS settings seem OK?
Do you have another IDE port on the motherboard
you could try?

Are they both on the same IDE cable? If so, since
they were working I presume master/slave settings
ok or was something changed?

"Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message
> I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
> However the problem still is happening.
> Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
> any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
> Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
> triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
> right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
> will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
> already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
> I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as trying
> some registery suggestions people have made.
> Any ideas are welcome.
> Ellis

No changes in BIOS or slave/master settings. No other IDE port available.
Any ideas?

WRH wrote:

> A couple of thoughts...
>
> Do the BIOS settings seem OK?
> Do you have another IDE port on the motherboard
> you could try?
>
> Are they both on the same IDE cable? If so, since
> they were working I presume master/slave settings
> ok or was something changed?
>

> "Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
>>However the problem still is happening.
>>Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
>>any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
>>Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
>>triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
>>right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
>>will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
>>already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
>>I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as trying
>>some registery suggestions people have made.
>>Any ideas are welcome.
>>Ellis

I wonder would it make a difference if you changed the CD-Rom CD-R
drive letters?

(In WinXp, Control Panel, drill through compuer management to
disk management)

> No changes in BIOS or slave/master settings. No other IDE port available.
> Any ideas?
>

> WRH wrote:
>
>> A couple of thoughts...
>>
>> Do the BIOS settings seem OK?
>> Do you have another IDE port on the motherboard
>> you could try?
>>
>> Are they both on the same IDE cable? If so, since
>> they were working I presume master/slave settings
>> ok or was something changed?
>>

>> "Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
>>>However the problem still is happening.
>>>Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
>>>any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
>>>Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
>>>triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
>>>right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
>>>will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
>>>already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
>>>I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as
>>>trying some registery suggestions people have made.
>>>Any ideas are welcome.
>>>Ellis

I did that, and it "refreshed" the drives for one try, but then the same
behavior.
Thanks,
Ellis

WRH wrote:
> I wonder would it make a difference if you changed the CD-Rom CD-R
> drive letters?
>
> (In WinXp, Control Panel, drill through compuer management to
> disk management)
>
> "Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message
>
>>No changes in BIOS or slave/master settings. No other IDE port available.
>>Any ideas?
>>

>>WRH wrote:
>>

>>>A couple of thoughts...
>>>
>>>Do the BIOS settings seem OK?
>>>Do you have another IDE port on the motherboard
>>>you could try?
>>>
>>>Are they both on the same IDE cable? If so, since
>>>they were working I presume master/slave settings
>>>ok or was something changed?
>>>

>>>"Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message

The following MS articles may be relevant. ( For one problem,one
of them suggests pressing F5 to update Windows Explorer.)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831484

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322823

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886955

>I did that, and it "refreshed" the drives for one try, but then the same
>behavior.
> Thanks,
> Ellis
>
> WRH wrote:
>> I wonder would it make a difference if you changed the CD-Rom CD-R
>> drive letters?
>>
>> (In WinXp, Control Panel, drill through compuer management to
>> disk management)
>>
>> "Ellis" <ellistara@bellsouth.not.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>No changes in BIOS or slave/master settings. No other IDE port available.
>>>Any ideas?

Thanks for the ideas. They all suggest having the latest service pack,
which I do. I'll look more closely at the workarounds.