Backing Up the System

Haas anyone the an idea on the best way of doing this. I first tried using
the backup option and saved a backup file to my desktop. The wizard created a
floopy disk called Windows automated recovery disk for backup but i was then
left with a file sat on my desktop which is 12 gb in size!! WHich I
obviously can do nothing with. Any advice out there? What have others done??
30 answers Last reply
More about backing system

    If you are really concerned about backing up your entire system (and
    you should be), then you need to ask yourself what you would do in the
    event that you are unable to start Windows. The answer to such a
    question is that you need a tool that can restore your system without
    relying on your Windows installation.

    I've used Norton Ghost 2003 and TrueImage, both of which can backup
    drives and partitions, using compression to save space, to several
    types of devices. While Ghost works quite nicely (once you get it to
    work), it is anything but user friendly, and quite stupidly throws
    DOS-related questions at you, as if everybody is expected to understand
    DOS terminology (such as "assign drive letters"). Also, Ghost 2003 runs
    under DOS for its BACKUP and RESTORE functions.

    Trueimage is much more intuitive to use, and also offers the advantage
    of incrmental backups (as does Ghost 9, which I haven't used). Also, TI
    will perform a backup (even your C drive) without rebooting, so the
    total time for a backup may be lower than that of Ghost 2003.

    Ghost 9 may be worthwhile to consider. Lots of info available via
    Google.

    "Windows XP Backup Made Easy"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

    Ted Zieglar

    "DaveT" <DaveT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Haas anyone the an idea on the best way of doing this. I first tried using
    > the backup option and saved a backup file to my desktop. The wizard
    > created a
    > floopy disk called Windows automated recovery disk for backup but i was
    > then
    > left with a file sat on my desktop which is 12 gb in size!! WHich I
    > obviously can do nothing with. Any advice out there? What have others
    > done??

    My experience with the backup utility in Windows XP Pro has been completely
    satisfactory and on a couple of occasions a real lifesaver! And it could
    not be easier to use or more reliable. I have two hard drives -- C, my
    system drive, and D, a smaller drive which I use entirely for backups and
    storage. With hard drives as inexpensive as they are now, I really
    recommend adding a second drive of 10gb (or more depending on your needs).
    You'll find the XP backup utility works quite well with this arrangement.

    Stan Nelson
    Dallas.
    Windows XP Pro SP2

    This is what I use to a secondary removable Ide hard drive;
    'Casper XP' (http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Stanley F. Nelson wrote:
    > My experience with the backup utility in Windows XP Pro has been completely
    > satisfactory and on a couple of occasions a real lifesaver! And it could
    > not be easier to use or more reliable. I have two hard drives -- C, my
    > system drive, and D, a smaller drive which I use entirely for backups and
    > storage. With hard drives as inexpensive as they are now, I really
    > recommend adding a second drive of 10gb (or more depending on your needs).
    > You'll find the XP backup utility works quite well with this arrangement.

    And are you able to RESTORE if Windows won't start for some reason?

    While that may be a good part of a total backup strategy by itself it is
    insufficient.

    Having your only backup inside of, and electrically attached to the same
    system as the original data is a recipe for disaster. Any event (electrical,
    data corruption, weather, theft, gremlins :-) that can take out one drive
    can take out two. It happens. (more often than you think)

    Personally I use and like Stomp's BackUP MyPC. It writes to most all form of
    media including optical, spans discs and does "disaster recovery." I do an
    original backup to an external harddrive which I can remove from the system
    and store somewhere else. I do full and then regular incremental backups to
    a network attached drive *and* DVD.

    If you have "mission critical" files that would be financially detrimental
    to lose offsite backups are essential. Same theory as the "backup stored
    inside the computer" problem. Any event that can take out one room in a
    building can take them all.

    I Just purchased Acronis True Image today, based on several recommendations,
    and look forward to comparing imaging to "file type" backups now that
    imaging programs have progressed to the point where incremental backup and
    "file level" restorations are possible.

    http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
    (last I checked a free trial was available)

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > ...a disk image
    > backup usually does not allow the restoration of individual files.

    Both Ghost and TrueImage enable you to access, and hence restore,
    individual files, using Explorer-like interfaces.

    "DaveT" <DaveT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Haas anyone the an idea on the best way of doing this. I first tried using
    >the backup option and saved a backup file to my desktop. The wizard created a
    >floopy disk called Windows automated recovery disk for backup but i was then
    >left with a file sat on my desktop which is 12 gb in size!! WHich I
    >obviously can do nothing with. Any advice out there? What have others done??

    The first thing you need to do is to decide why you are backing up -
    what sort of problems you want to be able to recover from.

    A backup that is good for one purpose may not be ideal for another.

    Some examples:
    - Recover from a botched program install or update. Normally the
    "System Restore" function in Windows XP, provided it is functional,
    will suffice for this. But you need to test it periodically to ensure
    that it is in fact usable.

    - Recover data files that have been corrupted or inadvertently
    deleted. System Restore does not work on data files, and a disk image
    backup usually does not allow the restoration of individual files.

    - Recover from a total collapse of the system, such as a hard drive
    failure

    - Recover from total destruction of the computer, such as in a fire.

    Once you have decided which of these you want to provide for then you
    can develop a backup strategy for that purpose.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    While that may be a good part of a total backup strategy by itself it
    is
    insufficient. (I agree)

    Having your only backup inside of, and electrically attached to the
    same
    system as the original data is a recipe for disaster. Any event
    (electrical,
    data corruption, weather, theft, gremlins :-) that can take out one
    drive
    can take out two. It happens. (more often than you think)

    This is true, except that the drive is isolated in a removable IDE bay,
    that can be turned on or off via front key lock. The bay drive is off
    site in a fire safe, except for weekly back-ups. See here;
    'Ide Bay'
    (http://startech.com/ststore/ItemDetail.cfm?ProductID=SNT127A&mt=) and
    it's bootable!
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > "Windows XP Backup Made Easy"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    ==========================
    This is from that website. Why do these people always assume everyone has
    the MS CD? What about the millions of us who get several CDs from the PC
    mfg? Which CD do we install of the 3 to 6 CDs to browse - looking for this
    backup program? How do we find it? Ntbackup.msi is not on my HP PC and I
    have 6 CDs that came with it.

    Open Windows XP Backup
    Windows XP includes its own backup program, although you may need to do some
    digging to find it. You can also take your pick of third-party programs
    (listed at the end of this column) that add bells and whistles you won't
    find in the basic Windows XP Backup utility.
    If you use Windows XP Professional, the Windows Backup utility
    (Ntbackup.exe) should be ready for use. If you use Windows XP Home Edition,
    you'll need to follow these steps to install the utility:
    1.Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click
    the CD icon in My Computer.
    2.On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional
    Tasks.
    3.Click Browse this CD.
    4.In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then
    Ntbackup.
    5.Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

    Thanks...

    FS.........
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> "Windows XP Backup Made Easy"
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    > ==========================
    > This is from that website. Why do these people always
    > assume everyone has the MS CD? What about the millions of
    > us who get several CDs from the PC mfg? Which CD do we
    > install of the 3 to 6 CDs to browse - looking for this
    > backup program? How do we find it? Ntbackup.msi is not on
    > my HP PC and I have 6 CDs that came with it.
    > Open Windows XP Backup
    > Windows XP includes its own backup program, although you may
    > need to do some digging to find it. You can also take your
    > pick of third-party programs (listed at the end of this
    > column) that add bells and whistles you won't find in the
    > basic Windows XP Backup utility. If you use Windows XP
    > Professional, the Windows Backup
    > utility (Ntbackup.exe) should be ready for use. If you use
    > Windows XP Home Edition, you'll need to follow these steps
    > to install the utility: 1.Insert your Windows XP CD into the
    > drive and, if
    > necessary, double-click the CD icon in My Computer.
    > 2.On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click
    > Perform Additional Tasks.
    > 3.Click Browse this CD.
    > 4.In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder,
    > then Msft, and then Ntbackup.
    > 5.Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > FS.........

    You can download ntbackup.msi from this web site:

    Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    Or download it directly from here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~cerelli/ntbackup.msi

    Nepatsfan
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## We already did a complete backup using Norton's Ghost. But can't use it
    > for incremental backups because we use Direcway as our download ISP and it
    > prevents us from getting online.

    I don't understand this. Did I miss something? What does your ISP have
    to do with performing a backup?

    > I need something to backup *new* files as time passes.

    Essentially, that's the function of "incremental backups".

    > > I've used Norton Ghost 2003 and TrueImage, both of which can backup
    > > drives and partitions, using compression to save space, to several
    > > types of devices. While Ghost works quite nicely (once you get it to
    > > work), it is anything but user friendly, and quite stupidly throws
    > > DOS-related questions at you, as if everybody is expected to understand
    > > DOS terminology (such as "assign drive letters"). Also, Ghost 2003 runs
    > > under DOS for its BACKUP and RESTORE functions.
    >
    > ## Then I'm screwed because I know nothing about DOS.

    Well, you don't really need to know DOS. Once you know (after asking
    here, if necessary) where to click you just follow the same procedure
    each time.

    > What we didn't like was we were given no choice of what files to back-up -
    > it did the whole HD. We didn't want to back up the MP3s as we already have them backed up on DVDs.

    Again, thet's the purpose of incremental backups. If you want to backup
    individual files, you can do that youself by simply copying them
    (perhaps you can find some compression tool). Better still, you can
    organize your data on different partitions in a manner that suits your
    backup requirements. You don't have to backup an entire disk - you are
    able to dictate which partitions are to be backed up.

    > > Trueimage is much more intuitive to use, and also offers the advantage
    > > of incrmental backups (as does Ghost 9, which I haven't used).
    >
    > ## I wonder of the incremental backups would work with Trueimage and allow
    > us to get online. We had to uninstall Ghost after ghosting our HD.

    I Don't understand these statements. Why would you have to uninstall
    Ghost?

    > Also, TI
    > > will perform a backup (even your C drive) without rebooting, so the
    > > total time for a backup may be lower than that of Ghost 2003.
    >
    > ## Even the C Drive? That's my main Drive on this HP PC. :-)

    Well, the point is that in the past it was not normally considered
    acceptable to backup your C drive while it was being accessed by
    Windows, as some files may be open.

    > > Ghost 9 may be worthwhile to consider. Lots of info available via
    > > Google.
    >
    > ## We already have it. I need something to back up the new files since we
    > ghosted the HD a few months ago.

    So what's wrong with an incemental backup using Ghost 9?
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
    > > What does your ISP have to do with performing a backup?
    >
    > $$ Norton Ghost prevented us from connecting to our ISP. We had to
    > uninstall Ghost to get connected.

    (snip)

    > $$ But then we can't connect to the Internet! Something in the Ghost
    > software prevented us from connecting to our ISP and my PC, this PC, is the
    > server for the other computers on our network - so no one could get online.
    > So after we ghosted my HD we had to UNINSTALL Ghost so we could get online.

    This is not a problem I've seen mentioned anywhere, so I can't comment.
    Somewhat baffling, though.

    > >> ## Then I'm screwed because I know nothing about DOS.
    >
    > > Well, you don't really need to know DOS. Once you know (after asking
    > > here, if necessary) where to click you just follow the same procedure
    > > each time.
    >
    > ## In a DOS window? I may not be following you - you can't click in a DOS
    > window as far as I know.

    No, nothing like that. Ghost 2003, when performing a backup (or a
    RESTORE), shuts down your Windows system and reboots into DOS to
    perform its BACKUP operation. This is "automatic", and is no big deal
    as long as everything works as it should, which is not to be taken for
    granted with Ghost 2003 when trying to backup to an external device. In
    such a situation, the absence of appropriate USB drivers will prevent
    successful execution by Ghost, and you end up spending a lot of time
    trying to locate the appropriate USB drivers and make them work.

    > >> What we didn't like was we were given no choice of what files to
    > >> back-up -
    > >> it did the whole HD. We didn't want to back up the MP3s as we already
    > >> have them backed up on DVDs.

    I am not aware of a feature that enables one to specify individual
    FILES to be processed neither by Ghost nor Trueimage.

    > > Better still, you can
    > > organize your data on different partitions
    >
    > ## I have no way to make partitions. I wouldn't know where to start.

    Not really difficult or complicated, especially with some third party
    products like Partition Magic (the only one I've used).

    > > ...in a manner that suits your
    > > backup requirements. You don't have to backup an entire disk - you are
    > > able to dictate which partitions are to be backed up.
    >
    > ## Norton Ghost didn't ask what partitions to back up....... even if I had
    > them.

    Well, perhaps it didn't ask about partitions because there weren't any.
    It's easy to make a decision when you have no choice. :-)

    > ## I would have to reinstall it, backup the files, then UNINSTALL it again
    > so I can connect to my ISP. Then reinstall it, back up more files a few
    > days later, UNINSTALL it so I can connect to my ISP...... who the hell
    > wants to go through that several times a week or even once a week?

    Not acceptable.

    So try Trueimage. It works on principles completely different from
    those of Ghost 2003 (but so does Ghost V9, if I understand correctly
    from some posts). Whatever reason Ghost interfered with your ISP
    connection may not exist with these other products.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > No, nothing like that. Ghost 2003, when performing a backup (or a
    > > RESTORE), shuts down your Windows system and reboots into DOS to
    > > perform its BACKUP operation. This is "automatic", and is no big deal
    > > as long as everything works as it should, which is not to be taken for
    > > granted with Ghost 2003 when trying to backup to an external device. In
    > > such a situation, the absence of appropriate USB drivers will prevent
    > > successful execution by Ghost, and you end up spending a lot of time
    > > trying to locate the appropriate USB drivers and make them work.
    >
    > ## How would I know which ones were needed? I have Ghost 9.0.

    The above applies specifically to Ghost 2003, and I believe it to be a
    moot point with Ghost V9, and certainly with Trueimage. I'm not going
    to elaborate on this since you are not going with 2003. However, if you
    find that that's what you need, get in touch and I will provide
    details. FWIW, I understand that not all external devices have problems
    with 2003.

    > >> ## Norton Ghost didn't ask what partitions to back up....... even if I
    > >> had them.
    >
    > > Well, perhaps it didn't ask about partitions because there weren't any.
    > > It's easy to make a decision when you have no choice. :-)
    >
    > ## Yes, there is a partition on HP PC's HDs. D:\ is a partition that has a
    > copy of XP I believe.

    Well, I am absolutely certain that Ghost 2003 and Trueimage 8
    specifically ask you which partitions you want to image. Ah, but
    perhaps that's the catch. What type of backup were you doing? I always
    do IMAGE, but perhaps other options, like CLONE (which I haven't used),
    don't provide the option.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > > "Windows XP Backup Made Easy"
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    > ==========================
    > This is from that website. Why do these people always assume everyone has
    > the MS CD? What about the millions of us who get several CDs from the PC
    > mfg? Which CD do we install of the 3 to 6 CDs to browse - looking for this
    > backup program? How do we find it? Ntbackup.msi is not on my HP PC and I
    > have 6 CDs that came with it.
    >
    > Open Windows XP Backup
    > Windows XP includes its own backup program, although you may need to do some
    > digging to find it. You can also take your pick of third-party programs
    > (listed at the end of this column) that add bells and whistles you won't
    > find in the basic Windows XP Backup utility.
    > If you use Windows XP Professional, the Windows Backup utility
    > (Ntbackup.exe) should be ready for use. If you use Windows XP Home Edition,
    > you'll need to follow these steps to install the utility:
    > 1.Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click
    > the CD icon in My Computer.
    > 2.On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional
    > Tasks.
    > 3.Click Browse this CD.
    > 4.In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then
    > Ntbackup.
    > 5.Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > FS.........

    I recently tried to do exactly wht you described above only to find
    that when I tried to backup all of my files, and after being told that
    Backup would create a boot disk, that I could not proceed. I received a
    message that the boot files necessary to set up the floppy boot disk
    could not be found!!! I checked the ReadMe file for the MS Backup
    Utility and it told me that ASR (whatever that is) was not supported.
    Is there something I should be doing differently?? I am tempted to use
    Ghost 9, but i noted that this has received mixed evaluations by users
    with XP Home. Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    HOM wrote:
    > ...Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.

    As I've mentioned, I've not used Ghost 9. Although I have limited
    experience with it, I CAN tell you that Trueimage is reasonably
    user-friendly and performs its IMAGING function as expected, to either
    an internal HDD or an external HDD or a DVD (3rd party software
    required to format/erase DVD+-RW). That's the extent of my experience.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "HOM" wrote:

    > I recently tried to do exactly wht you described above only to find
    > that when I tried to backup all of my files, and after being told that
    > Backup would create a boot disk, that I could not proceed. I received a
    > message that the boot files necessary to set up the floppy boot disk
    > could not be found!!! I checked the ReadMe file for the MS Backup
    > Utility and it told me that ASR (whatever that is) was not supported.
    > Is there something I should be doing differently?? I am tempted to use
    > Ghost 9, but i noted that this has received mixed evaluations by users
    > with XP Home. Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    ASR(Automated System Recovery) is not supported by WinXP Home, Only WinXP
    Pro. For more information, visit

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820

    Read the first "NOTE" under "MORE INFORMATION".
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:

    > "Stanley F. Nelson" <stan2456@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My experience with the backup utility in Windows XP Pro has been
    > > completely satisfactory and on a couple of occasions a real lifesaver!
    > > And it could not be easier to use or more reliable. I have two hard
    > > drives -- C, my system drive, and D, a smaller drive which I use entirely
    > > for backups and storage. With hard drives as inexpensive as they are now,
    > > I really recommend adding a second drive of 10gb (or more depending on
    > > your needs). You'll find the XP backup utility works quite well with this
    > > arrangement.
    > =================================
    > We've considered that option already. However if the main HD crashes and
    > burns (dies) what good would the second one be? You couldn't get to it.
    > I'd rather have everything backed up and in a safe place outside the PC.
    >
    > FS~

    He is performing full backups. The WinXP Pro install disk(Even for OEMs)
    allows you to use ASR to restore the WinXP environement, in the even of
    something like Registry corruption. If the damage is worse, everything can
    still be restored, as long as the physical HDD itself is undamaged. An ASR
    repair of the OS gets you into Windows, where you can now restore a bkf to
    get your datafiles back.

    The only problem is what HillBillyBuddist is talking about. But I have a
    problem with off-site backup storage. An event that can destroy one building
    can destroy another, so data isn't save off-site either. What if we stored
    data off-world...?
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:

    >"Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Some examples:
    >> - Recover from a botched program install or update. Normally the
    >> "System Restore" function in Windows XP, provided it is functional,
    >> will suffice for this. But you need to test it periodically to ensure
    >> that it is in fact usable.
    >------------- SNIP!
    >
    >And how do you do that without actually "restoring the system?" The last
    >two times I tried a "system restore" the damn thing didn't work. It only
    >managed to restore the system one time. It's been defunct since then.
    >
    >FS~

    A simple way to test the System Restore:

    1. Create a new desktop shortcut (to anything)
    2. Create a new manual System Restore point.
    3. Delete the desktop shortcut you created in step 1.
    4. Reboot the computer.
    5. Run System Restore and restore to the point created in step 2.

    The deleted shortcut should reappear.

    For more detailed information on using System Restore and solving
    problems with it see MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:

    >==================================
    >There is no information at this site about what to do when System Restore
    >starts, runs for awhile, then tells you it's DID NOT/COULD NOT successfully
    >restore the system. What do I do then?
    >
    >FS~

    Did you try the "System restore fails" link in the left side column on
    that page?

    Here is a direct link to that page. Bert has moved his site to a new
    host.

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:
    >

    >>==================================
    >>There is no information at this site about what to do when System Restore
    >>starts, runs for awhile, then tells you it's DID NOT/COULD NOT
    >>successfully
    >>restore the system. What do I do then?
    >>
    >>FS~

    > Did you try the "System restore fails" link in the left side column on
    > that page?

    $$ I did what it said to do and stopped it from monitoring D: partition.
    But I have, and always had more than enough disk space, so I don't see how
    that was the problem. ALSO: I can't install sr.inf because it says it
    needs to have SP2 installed - and SP2 *IS* installed!!!! So now what?
    It's asking me WHERE to copy the files from!!!! And no, I can't find that
    information on the website below. So - where do I get these files from
    since I already have SP2 on my PC???!?!?!?

    FS~

    > Here is a direct link to that page. Bert has moved his site to a new
    > host.
    >
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:

    >$$ I did what it said to do and stopped it from monitoring D: partition.
    >But I have, and always had more than enough disk space, so I don't see how
    >that was the problem. ALSO: I can't install sr.inf because it says it
    >needs to have SP2 installed - and SP2 *IS* installed!!!! So now what?
    >It's asking me WHERE to copy the files from!!!! And no, I can't find that
    >information on the website below. So - where do I get these files from
    >since I already have SP2 on my PC???!?!?!?

    I will ask Bert to join this discussion. He has far more expertise
    with System Restore than I do.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi FS,
    >
    > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > Click on System in the left pane.
    > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
    > right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".

    ## OK, I found one. There is only one there:

    Event Source: SRService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 114
    Date: 8/7/2005
    Time: 12:25:48 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: CAROL
    System Restore monitoring was disabled on drive D:\.

    NOTE: I disabled that per one of the MS websites covering Proboems with
    system-restore.
    Clicking on the button below the arrows did nothing. The above is from the
    "description" window.

    > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
    > two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
    > to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    > Duplicate events need not be posted here. I am assuming you followed all
    > the suggestions on the page Ron pointed out up to the point of
    > reinstalling System Restore.

    ## I can't reinstall it because it asked for a dll I don't have. I have 6
    CDs from HP and am clueless as to which one would contain the DLL. It asked
    for the path to that DLL - or where to copy it from.

    > To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse and point to the
    > C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.

    ## And what do I do in that folder? There are loads of things in there. I
    don't see anything called system or system-restore.

    FS ~

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org

    >>> Did you try the "System restore fails" link in the left
    >>> side column on that page?
    >>
    >> $$ I did what it said to do and stopped it from
    >> monitoring D: partition. But I have, and always had more
    >> than enough disk space, so I don't see how that was the
    >> problem. ALSO: I can't install sr.inf because it says
    >> it needs to have SP2 installed - and SP2 *IS*
    >> installed!!!! So now what? It's asking me WHERE to copy
    >> the files from!!!! And no, I can't find that information
    >> on the website below. So - where do I get these files
    >> from since I already have SP2 on my PC???!?!?!?
    >> FS~

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi FS,
    >
    > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    > Click on System in the left pane.
    > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in the
    > right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the
    > two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information
    > to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    > Duplicate events need not be posted here.
    >
    > I am assuming you followed all the suggestions on the page Ron pointed out
    > up to the point of reinstalling System Restore.
    >
    > To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse and point to the
    > C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
    ==========================='
    Oh, BTW.... sr.inf is not in that folder. I'm using XP-HOME/Sp2. Maybe
    like so many other things HOME doesn't have what PRO has.

    FS~

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org

    >>> Did you try the "System restore fails" link in the left
    >>> side column on that page?
    >>
    >> $$ I did what it said to do and stopped it from
    >> monitoring D: partition. But I have, and always had more
    >> than enough disk space, so I don't see how that was the
    >> problem. ALSO: I can't install sr.inf because it says
    >> it needs to have SP2 installed - and SP2 *IS*
    >> installed!!!! So now what? It's asking me WHERE to copy
    >> the files from!!!! And no, I can't find that information
    >> on the website below. So - where do I get these files
    >> from since I already have SP2 on my PC???!?!?!?
    >> FS~

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi FS,
    >>
    >> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    >> Click on System in the left pane.
    >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
    >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
    >> look for "sr" and "srservice".
    >
    > ## OK, I found one. There is only one there:
    >
    > Event Source: SRService
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 114
    > Date: 8/7/2005
    > Time: 12:25:48 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: CAROL
    > System Restore monitoring was disabled on drive D:\.
    >
    > NOTE: I disabled that per one of the MS websites covering
    > Proboems with system-restore.
    > Clicking on the button below the arrows did nothing. The
    > above is from the "description" window.

    This event just states that SR has stopped monitoring D:\

    >> Double click on each of these events, then click on the
    >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
    >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
    >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    >> Duplicate events need not be posted here. I am assuming
    >> you followed all the suggestions on the page Ron pointed
    >> out up to the point of reinstalling System Restore.
    >
    > ## I can't reinstall it because it asked for a dll I
    > don't have. I have 6 CDs from HP and am clueless as to
    > which one would contain the DLL. It asked for the path
    > to that DLL - or where to copy it from.

    Do these disks include SP1 or SP2?

    >> To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse
    >> and point to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
    >
    > ## And what do I do in that folder? There are loads of
    > things in there. I don't see anything called system or
    > system-restore.

    When reinstalling SR and are asked to Browse to located the needed files, you would point
    to this folder. C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. This install would be looking for sr.sy_
    or sr.sys and should continue the install.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi FS,
    >>
    >> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    >> Click on System in the left pane.
    >> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
    >> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
    >> look for "sr" and "srservice". Double click on each of these events, then click on the
    >> button below the two arrows in the upper right corner.
    >> This will copy the event information to the clipboard.
    >> Paste the information for each of the two event here.
    >> Duplicate events need not be posted here. I am assuming you followed all the
    >> suggestions on the
    >> page Ron pointed out up to the point of reinstalling
    >> System Restore. To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse
    >> and point to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
    > ==========================='
    > Oh, BTW.... sr.inf is not in that folder. I'm using
    > XP-HOME/Sp2. Maybe like so many other things HOME
    > doesn't have what PRO has.

    That's correct. The install process is looking for Sr.sys or Sr.sy_

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    >> To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse
    >> and point to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
    > =================================
    > Not on my XP-HOME addition. They were finally located
    > (by AgentRansack) in windows\system32\restore. I
    > reinstalled SystemRestore once I found what it was asking for.

    Sr.sys was located in windows\system32\restore ?

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > =============================
    > OK... it worked! It restored everything. :-))) I feel a bit safer now.

    Good work FS. To confirm that the latest version (SP2) of System Restore is installed.
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore and right click on rstrui.exe and select Properties.
    On the Version tab you should see File version: 5.1.2600.2180

    You may want to take a look at these tips for keeping System Restore Healthy
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> =============================
    >> OK... it worked! It restored everything. :-))) I feel a bit safer now.
    >
    > Good work FS. To confirm that the latest version (SP2) of System Restore
    > is installed.
    > Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore and right click on rstrui.exe and
    > select Properties.
    > On the Version tab you should see File version: 5.1.2600.2180

    $$ I have this version: 5.1.2600.2180 so that's it! :-)

    > You may want to take a look at these tips for keeping System Restore
    > Healthy
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    $$ Thanks, and I'm going to start saving this information in a folder......

    FS~

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> To reinstall System Restore with SP2 installed, browse
    >>> and point to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
    >> =================================
    >> Not on my XP-HOME addition. They were finally located
    >> (by AgentRansack) in windows\system32\restore. I
    >> reinstalled SystemRestore once I found what it was asking for.
    >
    > Sr.sys was located in windows\system32\restore ?
    ===================
    There are 3 Sr.sys on my machine = one in windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    another in windows\System32\dllcache and another in System32/drivers. But
    the one it asked for was in windows\system32\restore. I used the browse
    function and selected windows\restore\rstrui.exe and it did the rest. :-)))

    So I set a restore point, then created a few files on my desktop. After the
    successful restore these folders were gone.

    FS~

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User