eddie

I am trying to reinstall Nero, but it crashes during installation. I am in
discussion with Ahead tech support, but I *think* the problem is with the
registry. The Local_Machine\Software tree has a key titled 'Ahead'. But
when I select it I get an error message: Cannot open Ahead: Error opening
key.

The name, type, and data fields are all blank. I cannot delete or rename
the key. I think that it causes the crash during installation when it tries
to install one or more keys to that tree.

I have used a registry cleaner, which from what I read here, I shouldn't
have. Any suggestions?

Eddie

Eddie wrote:

> I have used a registry cleaner, which from what I read here, I shouldn't
> have. Any suggestions?

Just in case you are not aware, and I don't know which cleaner you
used, but some backup what they are about to delete, and some offer a
means of restoring deleted entries. I've seen one cleaner that does the
backup without even letting you know that it has done so.

Run regedt32.exe, take ownership, then delete. Know how to backup and
restore the registry before editing.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Eddie" wrote:
|I am trying to reinstall Nero, but it crashes during installation. I am in
| discussion with Ahead tech support, but I *think* the problem is with the
| registry. The Local_Machine\Software tree has a key titled 'Ahead'. But
| when I select it I get an error message: Cannot open Ahead: Error opening
| key.
|
| The name, type, and data fields are all blank. I cannot delete or rename
| the key. I think that it causes the crash during installation when it
tries
| to install one or more keys to that tree.
|
| I have used a registry cleaner, which from what I read here, I shouldn't
| have. Any suggestions?
|
| Eddie

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that
just runs Regedit.exe. Use regedit.

Caution
[[Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your
computer. ]]

Try this...
Reset the registry permissions
As soon as you have found the registry subkey that has the incorrect
permissions, update the permissions for that subkey.

To update the permissions of the registry subkey, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start
Registry Editor.
b. Locate and right-click the registry subkey:
and then click Permissions.
c. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box
for the following entries is selected:
• Full Control
• Read
e. Click Apply, and then click OK.
f. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

Open the Registry Editor again and see if you can delete the key now.

If not, try this...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>>
the said key
Right click the key in the left hand pane | Permissions... | Advanced
button | Owner tab | click the new owner and then click OK.

[[You can take ownership of a registry key if you are logged on as an
administrator or if you have been specifically assigned the permission to
take ownership of the registry key by the current owner. ]]

See permissions, registry in Registry Editor HELP.

To assign permissions to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

To assign special access to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

To grant Full Control of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

To add users or groups to the audit list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

To add users or groups to the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_adduser.mspx

To remove a user or group from the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_remove.mspx

To take ownership of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_take_own.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23nvWcdtkFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Eddie <edwpagan@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am trying to reinstall Nero, but it crashes during installation. I am
> in discussion with Ahead tech support, but I *think* the problem is with
> the registry. The Local_Machine\Software tree has a key titled 'Ahead'.
> But when I select it I get an error message: Cannot open Ahead: Error
> opening key.
>
> The name, type, and data fields are all blank. I cannot delete or rename
> the key. I think that it causes the crash during installation when it
> tries to install one or more keys to that tree.
>
> I have used a registry cleaner, which from what I read here, I shouldn't
> have. Any suggestions?
>
> Eddie

eddie

Dave & Wesley,

Thanks, but so far, no luck.

I can do nothing with this key. When I right-click and choose "permissions"
I receive this security warning:

Ahead, but you can make permission changes.

After I click Ok, the next screen is devoid of group or user names. I tried
adding the administrator account, but I get this security warning:

Unable to save permission changes in Ahead. Access is denied. Retry or Cancel

I am logged on as the adminstrator on this computer.

Eddie

More than likely the security descriptor for the key is corrupt. Probably
need to use a restore point.

--

"Eddie" wrote:
| Dave & Wesley,
|
| Thanks, but so far, no luck.
|
| I can do nothing with this key. When I right-click and choose
"permissions"
| I receive this security warning:

| Ahead, but you can make permission changes.
|
| After I click Ok, the next screen is devoid of group or user names. I
tried
| adding the administrator account, but I get this security warning:
|
| Unable to save permission changes in Ahead. Access is denied. Retry or
Cancel

| I am logged on as the adminstrator on this computer.
|
| Eddie

eddie

Dave,

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> More than likely the security descriptor for the key is corrupt. Probably
> need to use a restore point.

How do I do that?

Eddie

eddie

Dave or Wesley,

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

I tried to restore the system to the earliest restore point and one about a
week later. Both attempts failed because system restore said they could not
be restored.

My system is stable, I simply cannot install this program (Nero) and I am
pretty sure it is because of this corrupted key. Is there any way of
deleting this key since regedit is not working?

Eddie

If the security descriptor for the key is corrupt there is no other way.

--

"Eddie" wrote:
| Dave or Wesley,
| I tried to restore the system to the earliest restore point and one about
| week later. Both attempts failed because system restore said they could
not
| be restored.
|
| My system is stable, I simply cannot install this program (Nero) and I am
| pretty sure it is because of this corrupted key. Is there any way of
| deleting this key since regedit is not working?
|
| Eddie

eddie

Dave,

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> If the security descriptor for the key is corrupt there is no other way.

Okay, I will try other restore points to see if I can find one early enough
before the key became corrupted that Windows is able to restore to. I assume
the only other option to completely wipe Windows XP and start over from a
blank drive?

Eddie

Yes.

--

"Eddie" wrote:
| Dave,
| Okay, I will try other restore points to see if I can find one early
enough
| before the key became corrupted that Windows is able to restore to. I
assume
| the only other option to completely wipe Windows XP and start over from a
| blank drive?
|
| Eddie

TRENDING THREADS