I've noticed a lot of log files on my Win XP SP2 Home. Can these files, all
of these .log files, be safely deleted? Or, are some of them needed by
various applications?

Tell us the file names and where they're located.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JCA" wrote:
| I've noticed a lot of log files on my Win XP SP2 Home. Can these files,
all
| of these .log files, be safely deleted? Or, are some of them needed by
| various applications?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Open them up, read the info, and decide for yourself if they are important.

Jerry wrote:
> Open them up, read the info, and decide for yourself if they are important.

This is not an answer, given that the question is "are some of them
needed by various applications?"

Why don't you just rename them and see what happens? If things go wrong, boot
in safe mode and undo your changes.

"bxf" wrote:

> Jerry wrote:
> > Open them up, read the info, and decide for yourself if they are important.
>
> This is not an answer, given that the question is "are some of them
> needed by various applications?"

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

And how is he supposed to know if any program needs them unless he himself
opens them up and takes the time to read them? What are we - mind readers
with knowledge of everyone's LOG files?

"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
> Jerry wrote:
>> Open them up, read the info, and decide for yourself if they are
>> important.
>
> This is not an answer, given that the question is "are some of them
> needed by various applications?"

The log files are contained in the "Windows" folder and are all related to
"Konwledge Base" articles that have been applied to my OS by-way-of Windows
Update.

If you're referring to the;
%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$
directories, these are not log files but hotfix and service pack uninstall
routines. If you're sure you'll never need to back down then you can delete
them. Don't delete the $hf_mig$ directory as this is a general distribution
release store.

--

"JCA" wrote:
| The log files are contained in the "Windows" folder and are all related to
| "Konwledge Base" articles that have been applied to my OS by-way-of
Windows
| Update.

Sir,

I am not referring to the files in the folder:
"%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$".

I am referring to the "%systemroot%" folder, otherwise known as "C:\Windows"
on my OS, which contains sub-files which are ".log" files, files ending with
the extension: .log. These are "logs" of the Knowledge Base files which
have been previously downloaded and installed. They have nothing to do with
the downloaded Knowledge Base files except for being the logs of those
downloads.

But, I don't want to get too focused on these specific (Knowledge Base) log
files.

Generally, is it safe to delete .log files? Are log files used by an
installed application for further performance? Or, are they only needed for
backup or restore operations? Are .log files part of and necessary to an
applications function? If not, can they be safely deleted

John

You can probably delete them but I suspect they'll just be recreated. Surely
this isn't a space issue as there would certainly be bigger fish to fry.

--

"JCA" wrote:
| Sir,
|
| I am not referring to the files in the folder:
| "%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$".
|
| I am referring to the "%systemroot%" folder, otherwise known as
"C:\Windows"
| on my OS, which contains sub-files which are ".log" files, files ending
with
| the extension: .log. These are "logs" of the Knowledge Base files which
| have been previously downloaded and installed. They have nothing to do
with
| the downloaded Knowledge Base files except for being the logs of those
| downloads.
|
| But, I don't want to get too focused on these specific (Knowledge Base)
log
| files.
|
| Generally, is it safe to delete .log files? Are log files used by an
| installed application for further performance? Or, are they only needed
for
| backup or restore operations? Are .log files part of and necessary to an
| applications function? If not, can they be safely deleted
|
| John

Dave, you say not to delete the $hf_mig$ directory, but is it OK to clean out
all of its subdirectories? Right now it's only eating up about 140MB, so I'm
game to leave it hanging around... am just wondering...

thanks
Craig

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> them. Don't delete the $hf_mig$ directory as this is a general distribution
> release store.

It's best to leave it be. Here's an article that explains it's purpose
somewhat.