Beware of minutes/current billing cycle when "upgrading" p..

Tags:
  • Verizon
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
January 21, 2005 3:34:52 AM

I'm sure this gets posted a lot, but incase there's someone out there who
doesn't know..........

I signed on for 2 more years (what can I say? I like Verizon) and went from
400 to 450 minutes. I changed 4 days into my new billing cycle. I was told
that I would have the whole 450 minutes for this month (I even asked "will
it be pro-rated?" and was told "no"). I decided to call CS to make sure,
only to find out that it WAS pro-rated and (how the hell they did THIS math,
I'll never know!) I only had 392 minutes this billing cycle (remember I
started off with 400)! I just don't want anyone out there burning their
additional minutes on their "new plan" only to get their bill and have to
mess with CS to "fight it".

Janie

More about : beware minutes current billing cycle upgrading

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:34:53 AM

Janie Collins wrote:
> I'm sure this gets posted a lot, but incase there's
> someone out there who doesn't know..........
>
> I signed on for 2 more years (what can I say? I like
> Verizon) and went from 400 to 450 minutes. I changed 4
> days into my new billing cycle. I was told that I would
> have the whole 450 minutes for this month (I even asked
> "will it be pro-rated?" and was told "no"). I decided to
> call CS to make sure, only to find out that it WAS
> pro-rated and (how the hell they did THIS math, I'll
> never know!) I only had 392 minutes this billing cycle
> (remember I started off with 400)! I just don't want
> anyone out there burning their additional minutes on
> their "new plan" only to get their bill and have to mess
> with CS to "fight it".

(400/31) * 4 = 51.6 minutes for the first 4 days of the month.
(450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days of the month.
I don't know how they handle the fractional minutes. Looks like
they rounded up on the second calculation.

Go over either one of these figures and you get charged overage.

-Quick
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:34:54 AM

Quick wrote:
> month. (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days

oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9

Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
change everything on the bottom one...

-Quick
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:32:19 AM

Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer is penalized in
this way. For instance, I didn't use any minutes on Th (when my new billing
cycle started) or Fri last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited.
Monday--new plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS because
of this) I would have been penalized for not using those 51.6 minutes from
my "old" plan on Th and F. They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of
what should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27 days. See what
I mean?

Tx,

Janie
> Quick wrote:
>> month. (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days
>
> oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9
>
> Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
> change everything on the bottom one...
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:32:20 AM

Janie Collins wrote:
> Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer
> is penalized in this way. For instance, I didn't use any
> minutes on Th (when my new billing cycle started) or Fri
> last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited. Monday--new
> plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
> because of this) I would have been penalized for not
> using those 51.6 minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F.
> They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of what
> should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27
> days. See what I mean?

Well, kind of...
What they do is break your billing period into two separate
periods. So what you are asking for is equivalent to rollover
minutes which they don't do. In the normal situation if you
don't use your minutes for the month they do not roll over
to the next month. Kind of the same thing. You also do not
have to switch plans in the middle of a billing period. You
can accept a new plan in the middle of the month to be
effective on your next billing cycle date.

The pro-rate is to simplify the plan switch. In your case it
sounds like the only change was the increase in minutes.
In other cases there may be different promos, different features,
and a completely different class of plan. For example going
from a national access plan to a secondary line on an existing
familyshare. Some things don't even map from one to another
and it would be a real mess doing it and then an even bigger
mess trying to explain it to customers. That's my guess anyway.

-Quick
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:22:28 AM

Well, truth is, it won't effect me because I did get extra minutes--just in
case. I simply didn't want anyone else getting a bill that actually charged
them overage when they didn't really go over their "original allowance" for
that billing cycle. I'm guessing it's probably easier getting "retention
minutes" beforehand rather than after.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand the logic, I just don't think it's
"fair".

> Janie Collins wrote:
>> Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer
>> is penalized in this way. For instance, I didn't use any
>> minutes on Th (when my new billing cycle started) or Fri
>> last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited. Monday--new
>> plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
>> because of this) I would have been penalized for not
>> using those 51.6 minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F.
>> They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of what
>> should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27
>> days. See what I mean?
>
> Well, kind of...
> What they do is break your billing period into two separate
> periods. So what you are asking for is equivalent to rollover
> minutes which they don't do. In the normal situation if you
> don't use your minutes for the month they do not roll over
> to the next month. Kind of the same thing. You also do not
> have to switch plans in the middle of a billing period. You
> can accept a new plan in the middle of the month to be
> effective on your next billing cycle date.
>
> The pro-rate is to simplify the plan switch. In your case it
> sounds like the only change was the increase in minutes.
> In other cases there may be different promos, different features,
> and a completely different class of plan. For example going
> from a national access plan to a secondary line on an existing
> familyshare. Some things don't even map from one to another
> and it would be a real mess doing it and then an even bigger
> mess trying to explain it to customers. That's my guess anyway.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:59:07 AM

I went from a nation access 400 to a AC 400 and had overage when they
prorated and I only used a total of like 200 billable minutes that month. My
logic said 'using 200 of 400 allotted minutes should not result in
overage' - but verizon's logic doesn't work like mine.. doesn't sound like
it works like your logic either. (The csr gave me a credit for it when I
complained.)

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer is penalized in
> this way. For instance, I didn't use any minutes on Th (when my new
> billing cycle started) or Fri last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited.
> Monday--new plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
> because of this) I would have been penalized for not using those 51.6
> minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F. They just disappeared! Now I
> only have 391.9 of what should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus
> 450/27 days. See what I mean?
>
> Tx,
>
> Janie
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Quick wrote:
>>> month. (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days
>>
>> oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9
>>
>> Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
>> change everything on the bottom one...
>>
>> -Quick

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:03:03 AM

> them overage when they didn't really go over their "original allowance"
> for that billing cycle. I'm guessing it's probably easier getting
> "retention minutes" beforehand rather than after.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, I understand the logic, I just don't think
> it's "fair".

My opinion is if the minutes used are at or below the allowance on the
lowest plan, then they shouldn't prorate. Proration should only kick in when
you exceed the plan with the lowest allowance.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:34:36 AM

Good job--that's certainly what they should have done!

Janie

"cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>I went from a nation access 400 to a AC 400 and had overage when they
>prorated and I only used a total of like 200 billable minutes that month.
>My logic said 'using 200 of 400 allotted minutes should not result in
>overage' - but verizon's logic doesn't work like mine.. doesn't sound like
>it works like your logic either. (The csr gave me a credit for it when I
>complained.)
>

> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer is penalized in
>> this way. For instance, I didn't use any minutes on Th (when my new
>> billing cycle started) or Fri last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited.
>> Monday--new plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
>> because of this) I would have been penalized for not using those 51.6
>> minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F. They just disappeared! Now I
>> only have 391.9 of what should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus
>> 450/27 days. See what I mean?
>>
>> Tx,
>>
>> Janie
>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9
>>>
>>> Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
>>> change everything on the bottom one...
>>>
>>> -Quick

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:29:00 PM

Janie Collins wrote:
> I suppose as long as CS ends
> up NOT charging for "overage" that isn't really overage
> in these situations, we can live <G>, but I think it's a
> bit annoying to even have to call CS about it.

About 2 years ago I think they had a big push about
this problem. During that period I called to check on
plan changes at least 3 times (and changed once) and
all 3 CSRs insisted on explaining the prorate in
excruciating detail. I would tell them that I understood
it very well and they pressed on anyway.

It is a constant issue. It's an easy concept but hard to
explain and I think people get some idea of how they
think it works in their mind and then don't hear the
explanation when given. Waiving the overage charges
in these cases is an exception but an exception that
they make almost every time. I do think they check
for previous occurrences on your account.

-Quick
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:37:56 PM

I know on some level the way Verizon does this makes sense, but I probably
always "get a break" because I historically use half or less of my monthly
allowance, and I have free LD from home so I rarely even use N/W minutes.
Because I am going on vacation at the end of this billing cycle and will be
away from my kiddo, I have been "hoarding" my minutes till my trip. The
fact that I was being screwed in this matter (and not in a good way :)  by
essentially losing so many of my allowed minutes in the first 4 days of this
billing cycle is what really pissed me off. I forget that other people
actually REALLY use their phones and their minutes. As I said, it all
worked out for me and I'll probably still only use a total of 200 minutes
this month if even that, but felt that I most definitely should have been
allowed my 400 minutes even if they were all on the last day of my billing
cycle! See what I mean?

Thanks, Quick.

Janie

!