Beware of minutes/current billing cycle when "upgrading" p..

I'm sure this gets posted a lot, but incase there's someone out there who
doesn't know..........

I signed on for 2 more years (what can I say? I like Verizon) and went from
400 to 450 minutes. I changed 4 days into my new billing cycle. I was told
that I would have the whole 450 minutes for this month (I even asked "will
it be pro-rated?" and was told "no"). I decided to call CS to make sure,
only to find out that it WAS pro-rated and (how the hell they did THIS math,
I'll never know!) I only had 392 minutes this billing cycle (remember I
started off with 400)! I just don't want anyone out there burning their
additional minutes on their "new plan" only to get their bill and have to
mess with CS to "fight it".

Janie
10 answers Last reply
More about beware minutes current billing cycle upgrading

    Janie Collins wrote:
    > I'm sure this gets posted a lot, but incase there's
    > someone out there who doesn't know..........
    >
    > I signed on for 2 more years (what can I say? I like
    > Verizon) and went from 400 to 450 minutes. I changed 4
    > days into my new billing cycle. I was told that I would
    > have the whole 450 minutes for this month (I even asked
    > "will it be pro-rated?" and was told "no"). I decided to
    > call CS to make sure, only to find out that it WAS
    > pro-rated and (how the hell they did THIS math, I'll
    > never know!) I only had 392 minutes this billing cycle
    > (remember I started off with 400)! I just don't want
    > anyone out there burning their additional minutes on
    > their "new plan" only to get their bill and have to mess
    > with CS to "fight it".

    (400/31) * 4 = 51.6 minutes for the first 4 days of the month.
    (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days of the month.
    I don't know how they handle the fractional minutes. Looks like
    they rounded up on the second calculation.

    Go over either one of these figures and you get charged overage.

    -Quick

    Quick wrote:
    > month. (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days

    oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9

    Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
    change everything on the bottom one...

    -Quick

    Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer is penalized in
    this way. For instance, I didn't use any minutes on Th (when my new billing
    cycle started) or Fri last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited.
    Monday--new plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS because
    of this) I would have been penalized for not using those 51.6 minutes from
    my "old" plan on Th and F. They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of
    what should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27 days. See what
    I mean?

    Tx,

    Janie

    Janie Collins wrote:
    > Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer
    > is penalized in this way. For instance, I didn't use any
    > minutes on Th (when my new billing cycle started) or Fri
    > last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited. Monday--new
    > plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
    > because of this) I would have been penalized for not
    > using those 51.6 minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F.
    > They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of what
    > should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27
    > days. See what I mean?

    Well, kind of...
    What they do is break your billing period into two separate
    periods. So what you are asking for is equivalent to rollover
    minutes which they don't do. In the normal situation if you
    don't use your minutes for the month they do not roll over
    to the next month. Kind of the same thing. You also do not
    have to switch plans in the middle of a billing period. You
    can accept a new plan in the middle of the month to be
    effective on your next billing cycle date.

    The pro-rate is to simplify the plan switch. In your case it
    sounds like the only change was the increase in minutes.
    In other cases there may be different promos, different features,
    and a completely different class of plan. For example going
    from a national access plan to a secondary line on an existing
    familyshare. Some things don't even map from one to another
    and it would be a real mess doing it and then an even bigger
    mess trying to explain it to customers. That's my guess anyway.

    -Quick

    Well, truth is, it won't effect me because I did get extra minutes--just in
    case. I simply didn't want anyone else getting a bill that actually charged
    them overage when they didn't really go over their "original allowance" for
    that billing cycle. I'm guessing it's probably easier getting "retention
    minutes" beforehand rather than after.

    Thanks for the explanation, I understand the logic, I just don't think it's
    "fair".

    > Janie Collins wrote:
    >> Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer
    >> is penalized in this way. For instance, I didn't use any
    >> minutes on Th (when my new billing cycle started) or Fri
    >> last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited. Monday--new
    >> plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
    >> because of this) I would have been penalized for not
    >> using those 51.6 minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F.
    >> They just disappeared! Now I only have 391.9 of what
    >> should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus 450/27
    >> days. See what I mean?
    >
    > Well, kind of...
    > What they do is break your billing period into two separate
    > periods. So what you are asking for is equivalent to rollover
    > minutes which they don't do. In the normal situation if you
    > don't use your minutes for the month they do not roll over
    > to the next month. Kind of the same thing. You also do not
    > have to switch plans in the middle of a billing period. You
    > can accept a new plan in the middle of the month to be
    > effective on your next billing cycle date.
    >
    > The pro-rate is to simplify the plan switch. In your case it
    > sounds like the only change was the increase in minutes.
    > In other cases there may be different promos, different features,
    > and a completely different class of plan. For example going
    > from a national access plan to a secondary line on an existing
    > familyshare. Some things don't even map from one to another
    > and it would be a real mess doing it and then an even bigger
    > mess trying to explain it to customers. That's my guess anyway.
    >
    > -Quick

    I went from a nation access 400 to a AC 400 and had overage when they
    prorated and I only used a total of like 200 billable minutes that month. My
    logic said 'using 200 of 400 allotted minutes should not result in
    overage' - but verizon's logic doesn't work like mine.. doesn't sound like
    it works like your logic either. (The csr gave me a credit for it when I
    complained.)

    "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Quick. I still don't understand why the customer is penalized in
    > this way. For instance, I didn't use any minutes on Th (when my new
    > billing cycle started) or Fri last week. Sa and Su--no prob, unlimited.
    > Monday--new plan. So, (had I not received retention minutes from CS
    > because of this) I would have been penalized for not using those 51.6
    > minutes from my "old" plan on Th and F. They just disappeared! Now I
    > only have 391.9 of what should have been a pro-ration of 400/4 days plus
    > 450/27 days. See what I mean?
    >
    > Tx,
    >
    > Janie
    > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Quick wrote:
    >>> month. (450/30) * 26 = 391.9 minutes for the last 27 days
    >>
    >> oops, (450/31) * 27 = 391.9
    >>
    >> Went from 30 to 31 days on the top equation and didn't
    >> change everything on the bottom one...
    >>
    >> -Quick

    > them overage when they didn't really go over their "original allowance"
    > for that billing cycle. I'm guessing it's probably easier getting
    > "retention minutes" beforehand rather than after.
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation, I understand the logic, I just don't think
    > it's "fair".

    My opinion is if the minutes used are at or below the allowance on the
    lowest plan, then they shouldn't prorate. Proration should only kick in when
    you exceed the plan with the lowest allowance.

    Good job--that's certainly what they should have done!

    Janie

    Janie Collins wrote:
    > I suppose as long as CS ends
    > up NOT charging for "overage" that isn't really overage
    > in these situations, we can live <G>, but I think it's a
    > bit annoying to even have to call CS about it.

    About 2 years ago I think they had a big push about
    this problem. During that period I called to check on
    plan changes at least 3 times (and changed once) and
    all 3 CSRs insisted on explaining the prorate in
    excruciating detail. I would tell them that I understood
    it very well and they pressed on anyway.

    It is a constant issue. It's an easy concept but hard to
    explain and I think people get some idea of how they
    think it works in their mind and then don't hear the
    explanation when given. Waiving the overage charges
    in these cases is an exception but an exception that
    they make almost every time. I do think they check
    for previous occurrences on your account.

    -Quick

    I know on some level the way Verizon does this makes sense, but I probably
    always "get a break" because I historically use half or less of my monthly
    allowance, and I have free LD from home so I rarely even use N/W minutes.
    Because I am going on vacation at the end of this billing cycle and will be
    away from my kiddo, I have been "hoarding" my minutes till my trip. The
    fact that I was being screwed in this matter (and not in a good way :) by
    essentially losing so many of my allowed minutes in the first 4 days of this
    billing cycle is what really pissed me off. I forget that other people
    actually REALLY use their phones and their minutes. As I said, it all
    worked out for me and I'll probably still only use a total of 200 minutes
    this month if even that, but felt that I most definitely should have been
    allowed my 400 minutes even if they were all on the last day of my billing
    cycle! See what I mean?

    Thanks, Quick.

    Janie
    > Janie Collins wrote:
    >> I suppose as long as CS ends
    >> up NOT charging for "overage" that isn't really overage
    >> in these situations, we can live <G>, but I think it's a
    >> bit annoying to even have to call CS about it.
    >
    > About 2 years ago I think they had a big push about
    > this problem. During that period I called to check on
    > plan changes at least 3 times (and changed once) and
    > all 3 CSRs insisted on explaining the prorate in
    > excruciating detail. I would tell them that I understood
    > it very well and they pressed on anyway.
    >
    > It is a constant issue. It's an easy concept but hard to
    > explain and I think people get some idea of how they
    > think it works in their mind and then don't hear the
    > explanation when given. Waiving the overage charges
    > in these cases is an exception but an exception that
    > they make almost every time. I do think they check
    > for previous occurrences on your account.
    >
    > -Quick

Verizon Internet Service Providers