Is my Antec 410W PSU powerful enough?

dazbradbury

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2005
Ok, I was just looking for some advice really...

I have recently been buying parts to upgrade my system and am starting to get a little concerned that 410W may no longer be enough umph for my rig... Here is the run-down on what's in/will be in my system...

Gigabyte - pro G mobo
3.2Ghz Northwood,
1gb DDR
Ati Radeon 9800 pro graphics card
3 Case fans
Zalman cooler for graphics card and PSU,
Floppy drive, DVD RW combo drive, DVD reader drive,
Razer diamond back mouse,
basic keyboard,
3 HDD's totalling 400GB,
Extra USB/Firewire ports PCI,
Wi-fi PCI,
HDD controller Card,
Some lights for the coolermaster case...

ermm, i think that's it...

all this will be powered with a 410W Antec PSU hopefully, but I'm just wondering if this is going to need more power?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers, Daz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Looks like a reasonable load for that power supply, I wouldn't worry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dazbradbury

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2005
how close to capacity do you think I would be?

Is there an easy way to work it out? I'm just not entirely what load all my components will take.

I ask incase upgrading items such as my ghraphics card/RAM/ etc.. in the future would mean upgrading my PSU also.

Cheers, Daz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you might be able to upgrade to a 6800GT or X800XT without going over the limit, but you'd be very very close.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dazbradbury

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2005
Ok, thanks for the info...

also, if i was to upgrade to say a 500W(ish) PSU, what would you reccommend? I know that's down to opinion and needs etc... but would still like to know what you think...

Cheers, Daz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source AX500-A

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've helped people track down Fortron Source retailers in the UK, there are at least 3 major online venders there.

Yes, all their power supplies for the U.S. market are either manually switchable or auto-switching, and I'm fairly certain the ones they sell over there are auto-switching.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Do you have this Antec 410w PSU? If so, what are the specs( how many AMPs will it output on the +3.3v, +5v, & the +12v Rails?)

Looking at your config, and doing some quick calculations, at 90% utilization (100% to drives and fans) you'll draw approx:

+3.3v = 2.7A
+5v = 23.5A
+12v = 23.8A

Which on an Antec True Power 430's (rated to 410w max output....80,000hrs MTBF@25c? what a joke.... what, you run your pc in a refrigerator?) rated output:

+3.3v = 38A
+5v = 36A
+12v = 26A

You may be cutting it a little close on the +12v Rail (especially when derating for temperature). Don't even think about putting a newer Radeon 8xx or 1xxx series or either of the GeForce 6800 or 7800 series video cards into your Rig.

"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Renegade87 on 10/09/05 09:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>