Old Compaq 4540 > need help redoing

Hello -

I have an old Compaq Presario 4540 I'm trying to set for the kids to
surf on. It will not recongize the hard drive because, I think, it is
too large. the West Digital Lifeguard tools finds it but with a Win98
startup diskette its not recongized so I can't fdisk or format it. Any
thoughts?

Hello,

What size is the hard drive?

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

<troadkill@zilligen.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> I have an old Compaq Presario 4540 I'm trying to set for the kids to
> surf on. It will not recongize the hard drive because, I think, it is
> too large. the West Digital Lifeguard tools finds it but with a Win98
> startup diskette its not recongized so I can't fdisk or format it. Any
> thoughts?

hi,
if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
settings for the overlay to work .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============

hh

No BIOS updates are available to overcome the 8GB drive size limit. The 4540
originally shipped with a 3.2GB Bigfoot drive. Get a PCI IDE controller or
try here for a smaller than 8 GBdrive:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/

HH

"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> hi,
> if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
> a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
> drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
> available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
> lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
> recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
> settings for the overlay to work .
> hope this helps ,
> terry

troubleshooting newsgroups.