Old Compaq 4540 > need help redoing

Hello -

I have an old Compaq Presario 4540 I'm trying to set for the kids to
surf on. It will not recongize the hard drive because, I think, it is
too large. the West Digital Lifeguard tools finds it but with a Win98
startup diskette its not recongized so I can't fdisk or format it. Any
thoughts?
4 answers Last reply
More about compaq 4540 redoing

    Hello,

    What size is the hard drive?

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    <troadkill@zilligen.com> wrote in message
    > Hello -
    >
    > I have an old Compaq Presario 4540 I'm trying to set for the kids to
    > surf on. It will not recongize the hard drive because, I think, it is
    > too large. the West Digital Lifeguard tools finds it but with a Win98
    > startup diskette its not recongized so I can't fdisk or format it. Any
    > thoughts?

    hi,
    if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
    a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
    drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
    available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
    lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
    recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
    settings for the overlay to work .
    hope this helps ,
    terry

    ==============

    No BIOS updates are available to overcome the 8GB drive size limit. The 4540
    originally shipped with a 3.2GB Bigfoot drive. Get a PCI IDE controller or
    try here for a smaller than 8 GBdrive:

    http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/

    HH

    "terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
    > a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
    > drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
    > available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
    > lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
    > recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
    > settings for the overlay to work .
    > hope this helps ,
    > terry
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Yep.Go with the PCI IDE controller.
    HH

    > Thanks for the suggestions. It is 40 gig drive - sounds like it is too
    > big.
    >

    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:18:04 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No BIOS updates are available to overcome the 8GB drive size limit. The
    4540
    > >originally shipped with a 3.2GB Bigfoot drive. Get a PCI IDE controller
    or
    > >try here for a smaller than 8 GBdrive:
    > >
    > >http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/
    > >
    > >HH
    > >

    > >"terry_b17" <terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> hi,
    > >> if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
    > >> a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
    > >> drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
    > >> available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
    > >> lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
    > >> recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
    > >> settings for the overlay to work .
    > >> hope this helps ,
    > >> terry

    > >> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware