System Stability Problem - My PSU the Cause?

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
So I just built a new system with a MSI Neo 4 Platinum mobo, AMD 64 3000 (939) and a ATi x600 XT PCI-E video card.

Now I'm getting varied problems in my games (some games i get polygons that spike off the models and some games I get system crashes) and when I run programs like Diskeeper I get blue screen crashes. I ran prime95 thinking it was the cpu or memory and that ran all day long with no problem.

Is it the power supply maybe? I'm using the same PS that i had before which is an Antec Tru Power 430. It says its ATX 12V 2.0 but it only has 20 pins and not 24 pins. Could the sudden switch to a new setup from an old AMD XP2800 be the cause?
Or is the videocard messed up and throwing everything else off?

What are your voltages on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails? Have you logged voltages to see if there are up or down spikes around the same time as the crashes? What are the error codes on the BSOD? How old is the PSU?

Have you installed all of the most recent drivers? Patches for the games? Who is the memory mfr? Run MEMTEST86 on the memory? What is your memory config (1X512, 2X512, etc.)? Have you tried with just one stick of memory? What are your system temps (case and CPU)? Is the system OCed? If OCed what are your settings?

<font color=orange>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world
domination. </font color=orange>