Bad powersupplies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
I go thru about 100 powersupplies each year at my store and recently we've had a lot of bad ones - made by A-Power 450w. Historically our track record with these has been good, but not lately. Anyone know of a more reliable powersupply manufacturer? I'm tired of replacing these under warranty and the MB's they blow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A-Power is just a brand of cheap power supply made, so far as I know, by PowMax. Should be called MaxKaPow instead!

OK, lots of good power supplies about, Fortron Source, Sparkle Power, Aopen, Seasonic are all solid, followed by Antec's standard-grade, Enermax, followed by Codegen, JLE, and Foxconn. And that's only about half of the passable brands.

I'd probably go with the smallest-rating Fortron Source or Sparkle Power you think you can get by with (probably 300W) and get the model with 120mm fan. Be ready for huge prices, we're talking $25-30!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The guy sounds like he's more interested in reasonably priced quality power supplies. I grouped them according to which were the most stable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

look into Xion supplies. I recently purchased one for my own machine on the recomendation of a local tech. It was low cost, looks to be a quality design/build and has performed flawlessly for the short time it has been in operation.

Memhorder

Distinguished

Don't scrimp on your PSU. A lot of people do and it costs more in the long run. Go Corsair, Seasonic. There's reasonable priced ones that are stable

Status
Not open for further replies.