Computer System locks up in Control Panel

I am having a problem with accessing Control Panel. I can open the main
window but after I click on any of the links, such as Performance and
Maintainence the next window opens but none of the links can be activated.
While the mouse pointer is in the window it is shown as the hour glass.
Inside the window seems locked up. I let it sit there for quite some time,
and it never continues.
When I move the mouse out side the window I can anything else. I can open
other files and applications. When I close the window it tells me that
Control Panel is not responding. I can click on End Now button in the message
box and it closes. The icons on the destop clear for a moment and then
reappear. At that point everthing is normal.

I did notice that when I put the OS in Windows Classic theme and turn
classic view in the control panel on, control panel operates fine.

I know that the problem is unique to my system; this is the second OS I have
installed on this system (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro) with the same
results. Below is the information I have for my system:

S Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model KT600-8237
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1534 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/20/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 692.54 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Microsoft Office 2003

Some times spyware can cause Control Panel problems. Scan for spyware.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9645464A-1B69-43F3-A570-5C7E409EE37F@microsoft.com,
RkNebel <RkNebel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Some times spyware can cause Control Panel problems. Scan for spyware.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:9645464A-1B69-43F3-A570-5C7E409EE37F@microsoft.com,
> RkNebel <RkNebel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I am having a problem with accessing Control Panel. I can open the main
> > window but after I click on any of the links, such as Performance and
> > Maintainence the next window opens but none of the links can be activated.
> > While the mouse pointer is in the window it is shown as the hour glass.
> > Inside the window seems locked up. I let it sit there for quite some time,
> > and it never continues.
> > When I move the mouse out side the window I can anything else. I can open
> > other files and applications. When I close the window it tells me that
> > Control Panel is not responding. I can click on End Now button in the
> > message box and it closes. The icons on the destop clear for a moment and
> > then reappear. At that point everthing is normal.
> >
> > I did notice that when I put the OS in Windows Classic theme and turn
> > classic view in the control panel on, control panel operates fine.
> >
> > I know that the problem is unique to my system; this is the second OS I
> > have installed on this system (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro) with the
> > same results. Below is the information I have for my system:
> >
> > S Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> >
> > System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
> > System Model KT600-8237
> > System Type X86-based PC
> > Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1534 Mhz
> > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/20/2004
> > SMBIOS Version 2.2
> >

> > Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
> > Locale United States
> > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
> > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
> >

> > Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
> > Available Physical Memory 692.54 MB
> > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
> > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
> > Page File Space 2.40 GB
> > Page File C:\pagefile.sys
> >

> > Microsoft Office 2003
>
> Thank you for the reply. But I don't have any spyware on my system. I am using MS Anti Spyware software and it is up to date. This is a fairly new installation of the OS.

My daughter has an IBM laptop purchased as part of a university program. She
has the exact same problem on her computer. However, she is running XP Pro
SP 2. I thought it was something associated with the extra software put on
by the university or by IBM. My husband has an IBM laptop with the same OS
and does NOT have this problem, however. Anyway, I hadn't thought to change
to Windows Classic and try it buy I will now.

"RkNebel" wrote:

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Some times spyware can cause Control Panel problems. Scan for spyware.
> >

> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:9645464A-1B69-43F3-A570-5C7E409EE37F@microsoft.com,
> > RkNebel <RkNebel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > I am having a problem with accessing Control Panel. I can open the main
> > > window but after I click on any of the links, such as Performance and
> > > Maintainence the next window opens but none of the links can be activated.
> > > While the mouse pointer is in the window it is shown as the hour glass.
> > > Inside the window seems locked up. I let it sit there for quite some time,
> > > and it never continues.
> > > When I move the mouse out side the window I can anything else. I can open
> > > other files and applications. When I close the window it tells me that
> > > Control Panel is not responding. I can click on End Now button in the
> > > message box and it closes. The icons on the destop clear for a moment and
> > > then reappear. At that point everthing is normal.
> > >
> > > I did notice that when I put the OS in Windows Classic theme and turn
> > > classic view in the control panel on, control panel operates fine.
> > >
> > > I know that the problem is unique to my system; this is the second OS I
> > > have installed on this system (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro) with the
> > > same results. Below is the information I have for my system:
> > >
> > > S Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> > > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> > > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> > >
> > > System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
> > > System Model KT600-8237
> > > System Type X86-based PC
> > > Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1534 Mhz
> > > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/20/2004
> > > SMBIOS Version 2.2
> > >

> > > Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
> > > Locale United States
> > > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
> > > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
> > >

> > > Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
> > > Available Physical Memory 692.54 MB
> > > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
> > > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
> > > Page File Space 2.40 GB
> > > Page File C:\pagefile.sys
> > >

> > > Microsoft Office 2003
> >
> > Thank you for the reply. But I don't have any spyware on my system. I am using MS Anti Spyware software and it is up to date. This is a fairly new installation of the OS.

Hello Liz, thanks for you response. This problem that I am having seems to be
either on this system, or one of the applications; I have installed both XP
Home & Pro, and it does the same thing. I guess the only way I could know for
sure is to reinstall the OS and over a long period of time, add an
application, one at a time, and run the system for awhile before adding
another. This is something I really don't want to do, at this time because I
need my software applications now. I was hoping a technician, or professional
would read the original post and tell me what I would need to do to correct
it. Maybe I have it posted on the wrong newsgroup, but it would seem like
this woulld be the right one.

It does work alright in windows classic, but I miss the XP experience.

"Liz" wrote:

> My daughter has an IBM laptop purchased as part of a university program. She
> has the exact same problem on her computer. However, she is running XP Pro
> SP 2. I thought it was something associated with the extra software put on
> by the university or by IBM. My husband has an IBM laptop with the same OS
> and does NOT have this problem, however. Anyway, I hadn't thought to change
> to Windows Classic and try it buy I will now.
>
> "RkNebel" wrote:
>

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > Some times spyware can cause Control Panel problems. Scan for spyware.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > >
> > > Wes
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > In news:9645464A-1B69-43F3-A570-5C7E409EE37F@microsoft.com,
> > > RkNebel <RkNebel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> > > Thank you for the reply. But I don't have any spyware on my system. I am using MS Anti Spyware software and it is up to date. This is a fairly new installation of the OS.

Hi. I did change my daughter's Control Panel to Classic View and it seems to
work fine now. I really don't understand this problem. My husband also has
an IBM laptop with XP Pro SP 2 and he does not have the problem. Anyway, I'm
not going to worry about it anymore. As long as I can access Control Panel
functions, I'm happy.

"RkNebel" wrote:

> Hello Liz, thanks for you response. This problem that I am having seems to be
> either on this system, or one of the applications; I have installed both XP
> Home & Pro, and it does the same thing. I guess the only way I could know for
> sure is to reinstall the OS and over a long period of time, add an
> application, one at a time, and run the system for awhile before adding
> another. This is something I really don't want to do, at this time because I
> need my software applications now. I was hoping a technician, or professional
> would read the original post and tell me what I would need to do to correct
> it. Maybe I have it posted on the wrong newsgroup, but it would seem like
> this woulld be the right one.
>
> It does work alright in windows classic, but I miss the XP experience.
>
> "Liz" wrote:
>
> > My daughter has an IBM laptop purchased as part of a university program. She
> > has the exact same problem on her computer. However, she is running XP Pro
> > SP 2. I thought it was something associated with the extra software put on
> > by the university or by IBM. My husband has an IBM laptop with the same OS
> > and does NOT have this problem, however. Anyway, I hadn't thought to change
> > to Windows Classic and try it buy I will now.

Blondie

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004