Sign in with
Your question

Attraction players to your server.

Last response: in Video Games
February 19, 2012 9:27:00 PM

Hey guys, i recently ordered a 10 slot dedicated Garrys Mod server, sometimes when i check its status it might have 6-8 players online, which is great!, but for 9 hours, sometimes entire days, not a single player, does anyone have idea's on how to draw attention to the server?, its actually a pretty good server, its got a perfect interment connection, and it shares two zeons with the other server's on that physical server, so any idea's where i should post? content i should add? do you guys even know what garry's mod is? XD

You can see the server here, ( when i ordered it, the GSP added it automatically to this site ) http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/103.23.148.158:6...
February 19, 2012 9:39:10 PM

you are only going to get players during playing times, say noon till midnight local time. People in other time zones say more than +/-3hrs away will have too big a penalty in terms of ping.
m
l
February 19, 2012 10:47:18 PM

13thmonkey said:
you are only going to get players during playing times, say noon till midnight local time. People in other time zones say more than +/-3hrs away will have too big a penalty in terms of ping.

Thanks for your reply, Yeah your most likely right
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2012 10:48:19 PM

13thmonkey said:

also are you familiar with garry's mod, or just server's in general
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:06:01 AM

i'm aware of garrys mod, but thats all.
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:33:59 AM

Get a forum setup and encourage players to go on there and post pictures/stories/video's of what you've/they've created. If you want regular users then you have to get a community. You can advertise the forum website on the spash screen which comes up when you first join a server.

Also try and get a real time chat board for the forum.

Before the server goes live you'll want to make the registration for forum accounts quick and easy to encourage people to play. Stagnant forums can also be a big turn off for a gamer looking for a regular server so create yourself loads of fake accounts and post up video's, pictures and fake chats (get your mates to help) so it looks like the forum is actually active.

You could try looking at the most regular times people go on the server then advertise special events (through mods) that will be happening at certain times. This will encourage people to come back to the server and will also encourage people to stay on after the event is done so they can build.

Just a few idea's, i know the server is only 10 man big so some of the above might not help - the event one might be a big pull in on a smaller server. Perhaps get a vent server too you can advertise. You'd have to change the password weekly however.
m
l
!