low disc space

i have a 6 gig hard drive but windows is telling me i have only 968MB left
..i have run check disc all ok.when i count the total of all files and folders
including hidden ones in this drive it come to 2.76GB. .has any one see my
missing 2.34GB ???can you all look down the back of your sofas or in your
pockets!

I feel rich now, I have a 10GB hard drive. :-D

Look at the size of C:\System Volume Information (System Restore uses this
folder). This folder can grow. It defaults to 12% of total disk space.

This will clear up some space.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688

Is some of the drive not partitioned?
Is there a hidden partition on the disk for XP backup files? Was XP
preinstalled?

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316505

Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301057

Description of the Low Disk Space Notification in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285107

How the System Restore Tool Handles Hard-Disk Space Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300044

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BFE37FC5-6987-44E6-B44C-FA6D34017EAA@microsoft.com,
pyewacket <pyewacket@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> i have a 6 gig hard drive but windows is telling me i have only 968MB
> left .i have run check disc all ok.when i count the total of all files
> and folders including hidden ones in this drive it come to 2.76GB. .has
> any one see my missing 2.34GB ???can you all look down the back of your
> sofas or in your pockets!

> i have a 6 gig hard drive but windows is telling me i have only 968MB
left
> .i have run check disc all ok.when i count the total of all files and
folders
> including hidden ones in this drive it come to 2.76GB. .has any one see
my
> missing 2.34GB ???can you all look down the back of your sofas or in your
> pockets!

Some of disk space is allocated in pagefile.sys , but I supose that you use
Norton System Works and you have Norton Recycle Bin , Purge all files in
Recycle bin options. Clear Temp folder in windows and in Documents and
Settings -> you account -> Local Settings -> Temp

Greetz
Goomy