Disk Defragmenter Won't Work

When I try to open and run my disk defragmenter, a message comes up with the
following:

"MMC cannot open the file C:/WINDOWS/system32/dfrg.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not as MMC console, or was
created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have
sufficient rights to the files."

I really have no idea what this means.
2 answers Last reply
More about disk defragmenter work

    spaz1755,
    Check here on how to run XP's System File Checker;
    'Scannow' (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    See if these commands help, from Start-Run:

    regsvr32 msxml3
    regsvr32 dfrgsnap

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "spaz1755" <spaz1755@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open and run my disk defragmenter, a message comes up with
    > the
    > following:
    >
    > "MMC cannot open the file C:/WINDOWS/system32/dfrg.msc.
    >
    > This may be because the file does not exist, is not as MMC console, or was
    > created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not
    > have
    > sufficient rights to the files."
    >
    > I really have no idea what this means.

Microsoft Windows XP