ASP.NET Machine Account, what is this ?

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi,
I uninstalled my old HP printer and installed a new one last night and now
when I start my computer up, instead of the welcome screen I have to log in
by clicking on my user icon. I am the only user on this computer so I never
had to do this before, when starting up I used to get directly to my desktop
I did not have to log in. I went to user accounts and now there are 2 users,
ASP.Net Machine A and me the administrator, can I delete this second account?
Where did if come from? This started happening right after I uninstalled my
old printer and before I installed the new one, because the first time it
happened was when I restarted my computer after uninsalling the printer.
Does anyone know what I should do about this?
Thanks, Val

What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP
after you install the .NET Framework 1.1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Val" wrote:

| Hi,
| I uninstalled my old HP printer and installed a new one last night and now
| when I start my computer up, instead of the welcome screen I have to log in
| by clicking on my user icon. I am the only user on this computer so I never
| had to do this before, when starting up I used to get directly to my desktop
| I did not have to log in. I went to user accounts and now there are 2 users,
| ASP.Net Machine A and me the administrator, can I delete this second account?
| Where did if come from? This started happening right after I uninstalled my
| old printer and before I installed the new one, because the first time it
| happened was when I restarted my computer after uninsalling the printer.
| Does anyone know what I should do about this?
| Thanks, Val

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Carey,
As far as I know I did not install anything called .NET Framework 1.1 but I
looked in my Add remove programs and there is a Microsoft .NET Framework
1.1! How could this get installed by uninstalling my printer? Can I uninstall
it? Should I just do a System restore and start over with uninstalling the
old printer and installing the new one?
Thanks, Val

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>
> The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP
> after you install the .NET Framework 1.1
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Val" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | I uninstalled my old HP printer and installed a new one last night and now
> | when I start my computer up, instead of the welcome screen I have to log in
> | by clicking on my user icon. I am the only user on this computer so I never
> | had to do this before, when starting up I used to get directly to my desktop
> | I did not have to log in. I went to user accounts and now there are 2 users,
> | ASP.Net Machine A and me the administrator, can I delete this second account?
> | Where did if come from? This started happening right after I uninstalled my
> | old printer and before I installed the new one, because the first time it
> | happened was when I restarted my computer after uninsalling the printer.
> | Does anyone know what I should do about this?
> | Thanks, Val

Simply visit the Windows Update web site and download the critical
updates for .NET Framework. It is required for some software applications
now and in the future.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Val" wrote:

| Carey,
| As far as I know I did not install anything called .NET Framework 1.1 but I
| looked in my Add remove programs and there is a Microsoft .NET Framework
| 1.1! How could this get installed by uninstalling my printer? Can I uninstall
| it? Should I just do a System restore and start over with uninstalling the
| old printer and installing the new one?
| Thanks, Val

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Will this stop the problem I have with startup, so that I won't have to login
at the Welcome screen?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Simply visit the Windows Update web site and download the critical
> updates for .NET Framework. It is required for some software applications
> now and in the future.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Val" wrote:
>
> | Carey,
> | As far as I know I did not install anything called .NET Framework 1.1 but I
> | looked in my Add remove programs and there is a Microsoft .NET Framework
> | 1.1! How could this get installed by uninstalling my printer? Can I uninstall
> | it? Should I just do a System restore and start over with uninstalling the
> | old printer and installing the new one?
> | Thanks, Val

Yes, the updates correct the issue.

--