Presario 5852 Problems

My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
this PC?

Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
13 answers Last reply
More about presario 5852 problems

    Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card in.

    "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
    > for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
    > Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
    > hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
    > bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
    > of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
    > this PC?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

    I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
    colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
    PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
    <superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:

    >Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card in.
    >
    >"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
    >> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
    >> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
    >> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
    >> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
    >> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
    >> this PC?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> -----
    >> Kim/Dreamspinner3
    >> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

    -----
    Kim/Dreamspinner3
    Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

    Bet you bent a pin. Check the cable.
    > I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
    > colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
    > PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.
    >
    > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
    > <superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card
    in.

    > >"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
    > >> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
    > >> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
    > >> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
    > >> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
    > >> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
    > >> this PC?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >> -----
    > >> Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > >> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
    > >

    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

    Look in the pins on the end of the monitor cable, did you bend one?

    "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
    > colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
    > PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.
    >
    > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
    > <superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card
    in.

    > >"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
    > >> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
    > >> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
    > >> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
    > >> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
    > >> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
    > >> this PC?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >> -----
    > >> Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > >> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
    > >

    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

    The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
    550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
    HH

    "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
    > for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
    > Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
    > hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
    > bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
    > of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
    > this PC?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.

    I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
    card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
    with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
    read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
    support a card of that size.

    What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
    Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
    wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
    that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
    XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.

    My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
    machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
    least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
    husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
    thought ME was better than 98 myself....

    -----
    Kim/Dreamspinner3
    Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Uh, the 5852 shipped with a 16MB 2X AGP video card, a 3dFX Voodoo 3 - 1000.
    Bump the RAM up to 384 and it should run XP fine with that video card. It
    certainly did NOT come with a PCI video card.
    HH

    > It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.
    >
    > I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
    > card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
    > with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
    > read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
    > support a card of that size.
    >
    > What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
    > Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
    > wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
    > that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
    > XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.
    >
    > My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
    > machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
    > least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
    > husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
    > thought ME was better than 98 myself....
    >
    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:30:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a
    PIII
    > >550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
    > >HH
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    My concern about adding a 32MB graphics card to most any Presario is that the
    Presarios most often use under-powered anemic power supplies. The nVidia
    graphics chips draw a lot of power, and adding one may exceed the capacity of
    the power supply. Unless there is a serious weakness in the design of the
    motherboard, I doubt that it would have trouble supplying power to a graphics
    card.

    Just like any install of Windows XP, it is necessary to make sure there are XP
    device drivers for EVERY chipset in the system, as well as printers, scanners
    and other external devices. If XP is installed without some drivers,
    performance is often crippled, or devices simply do not work at all.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:48:46 GMT, Dreamspinner3 <dreamspinner3@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.
    >
    >I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
    >card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
    >with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
    >read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
    >support a card of that size.
    >
    >What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
    >Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
    >wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
    >that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
    >XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.
    >
    >My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
    >machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
    >least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
    >husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
    >thought ME was better than 98 myself....
    >
    >On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:30:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
    >>550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
    >>HH
    >-----
    >Kim/Dreamspinner3
    >Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
    -----
    Kim/Dreamspinner3
    Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Maybe or maybe not. I had a 5834 that you had to flash the bios to use an
    ATI card.

    > Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The memory size is not an issue. You could use a 32, 64 or 128MB card if it
    is AGP 2X/4X compatible. Most ATI Radeons are 2X/4X compatible even if they
    are also 8X. A few GeForce cards have this backwards compatibility. There
    may be a patch SoftPaq for some cards on the HP/Compaq website.
    HH

    "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    As I said before, I have a nVidia TNT2 M64 AGP with 32MB video card
    but I don't know whether or not it is 2x/4x compatible and I've read
    that this PC's motherboard won't provide enough power to this video
    card....

    -----
    Kim/Dreamspinner3
    Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The power problem is with newer GeForce cards. The TNT2 is an older AGP 2X
    card. The 5852 has plenty of power for it.
    HH

    > As I said before, I have a nVidia TNT2 M64 AGP with 32MB video card
    > but I don't know whether or not it is 2x/4x compatible and I've read
    > that this PC's motherboard won't provide enough power to this video
    > card....
    >
    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:22:05 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The memory size is not an issue. You could use a 32, 64 or 128MB card if
    it
    > >is AGP 2X/4X compatible. Most ATI Radeons are 2X/4X compatible even if
    they
    > >are also 8X. A few GeForce cards have this backwards compatibility.
    There
    > >may be a patch SoftPaq for some cards on the HP/Compaq website.
    > >HH
    >
    > -----
    > Kim/Dreamspinner3
    > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/