Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Presario 5852 Problems

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 9:30:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
this PC?

Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

More about : presario 5852 problems

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 10:43:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card in.

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:jnlah09ajhc10epipen7bvrca691vt5out@4ax.com...
> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
> this PC?
>
> Thanks.
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 10:43:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
<superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:

>Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card in.
>
>"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
>news:jnlah09ajhc10epipen7bvrca691vt5out@4ax.com...
>> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
>> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
>> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
>> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
>> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
>> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
>> this PC?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -----
>> Kim/Dreamspinner3
>> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
>

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Related resources
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:40:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Bet you bent a pin. Check the cable.
"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:q3nah05akfuoqmuupqbcjk38iivuflb7n7@4ax.com...
> I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
> colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
> PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.
>
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
> <superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card
in.
> >
> >"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >news:jnlah09ajhc10epipen7bvrca691vt5out@4ax.com...
> >> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
> >> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
> >> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
> >> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
> >> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
> >> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
> >> this PC?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> -----
> >> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> >> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
> >
>
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:43:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Look in the pins on the end of the monitor cable, did you bend one?

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:q3nah05akfuoqmuupqbcjk38iivuflb7n7@4ax.com...
> I took it out & tried installing a 32mb AGP card and that is when the
> colors when crazy. So I pulled out the 32mb card & put the original
> PCI video card back in---but still the same problem.
>
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:43:23 -0400, "TerryNC"
> <superman@hotNOTSOmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Check the video card, you prolly unseated it when you put the nic card
in.
> >
> >"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >news:jnlah09ajhc10epipen7bvrca691vt5out@4ax.com...
> >> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
> >> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
> >> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
> >> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
> >> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
> >> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
> >> this PC?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> -----
> >> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> >> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
> >
>
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
August 8, 2004 10:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
HH

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:jnlah09ajhc10epipen7bvrca691vt5out@4ax.com...
> My sister has a Presario 5852 with all the original hardware except
> for a new PCI Ethernet card I installed. Her husband installed
> Windows XP on it & it choked--it couldn't handle it. I have wiped the
> hard drive & am trying to reinstall Windows 98. The display now has a
> bluish tint to everything & the Compaq logo at bootup is blue instead
> of red. What the heck is wrong? And how to you access the BIOS for
> this PC?
>
> Thanks.
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:48:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.

I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
support a card of that size.

What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.

My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
thought ME was better than 98 myself....

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:30:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
>550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
>HH
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
August 9, 2004 5:48:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Uh, the 5852 shipped with a 16MB 2X AGP video card, a 3dFX Voodoo 3 - 1000.
Bump the RAM up to 384 and it should run XP fine with that video card. It
certainly did NOT come with a PCI video card.
HH

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:veldh0laveubuumog62eufeuomrdqft502@4ax.com...
> It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.
>
> I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
> card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
> with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
> read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
> support a card of that size.
>
> What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
> Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
> wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
> that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
> XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.
>
> My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
> machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
> least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
> husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
> thought ME was better than 98 myself....
>
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:30:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a
PIII
> >550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
> >HH
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 6:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

My concern about adding a 32MB graphics card to most any Presario is that the
Presarios most often use under-powered anemic power supplies. The nVidia
graphics chips draw a lot of power, and adding one may exceed the capacity of
the power supply. Unless there is a serious weakness in the design of the
motherboard, I doubt that it would have trouble supplying power to a graphics
card.

Just like any install of Windows XP, it is necessary to make sure there are XP
device drivers for EVERY chipset in the system, as well as printers, scanners
and other external devices. If XP is installed without some drivers,
performance is often crippled, or devices simply do not work at all.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:48:46 GMT, Dreamspinner3 <dreamspinner3@softhome.net>
wrote:

>It only has 128mb ram and still has the original 4mb PCI video card.
>
>I've read that the motherboard in this PC can't support a 32mb video
>card--is that true? I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 M64 AGP video card
>with 32mb of ram I could put her machine if it will handle it but I
>read that the motherboard in the 5852 doesn't put out enough power to
>support a card of that size.
>
>What I mean by choked is that when my sister's husband installed
>Windows XP Pro the machine stopped running right. The video card
>wasn't compatible with XP and there are no XP drivers available for it
>that I can find. Plus, I found out that he used a bootlegged copy of
>XP and I'm sure that was part of the problem as well.
>
>My sister just had a baby & she has no money at all to put into this
>machine or any other and so I'm trying to help her out for free. At
>least I got the machine back up & running with Windows 98 SE--her
>husband doesn't like Windows ME and doesn't want it installed. I
>thought ME was better than 98 myself....
>
>On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 06:30:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The 5852 should run XP just fine if the RAM is maxed to 384MB I't's a PIII
>>550 so it has enough processor. What do you mean by "choked"?
>>HH
>-----
>Kim/Dreamspinner3
>Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:53:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Maybe or maybe not. I had a 5834 that you had to flash the bios to use an
ATI card.

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:8d0gh09vvh05i7qrcg7l400l9g2gaqmrkp@4ax.com...
> Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
August 10, 2004 10:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

The memory size is not an issue. You could use a 32, 64 or 128MB card if it
is AGP 2X/4X compatible. Most ATI Radeons are 2X/4X compatible even if they
are also 8X. A few GeForce cards have this backwards compatibility. There
may be a patch SoftPaq for some cards on the HP/Compaq website.
HH

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:8d0gh09vvh05i7qrcg7l400l9g2gaqmrkp@4ax.com...
> Would any brand 16mb AGP work in this PC then?
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

As I said before, I have a nVidia TNT2 M64 AGP with 32MB video card
but I don't know whether or not it is 2x/4x compatible and I've read
that this PC's motherboard won't provide enough power to this video
card....

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:22:05 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The memory size is not an issue. You could use a 32, 64 or 128MB card if it
>is AGP 2X/4X compatible. Most ATI Radeons are 2X/4X compatible even if they
>are also 8X. A few GeForce cards have this backwards compatibility. There
>may be a patch SoftPaq for some cards on the HP/Compaq website.
>HH

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
August 11, 2004 12:53:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

The power problem is with newer GeForce cards. The TNT2 is an older AGP 2X
card. The 5852 has plenty of power for it.
HH

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:vjlih0dd0rkfai358eih2ef04nfm3urdgd@4ax.com...
> As I said before, I have a nVidia TNT2 M64 AGP with 32MB video card
> but I don't know whether or not it is 2x/4x compatible and I've read
> that this PC's motherboard won't provide enough power to this video
> card....
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:22:05 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The memory size is not an issue. You could use a 32, 64 or 128MB card if
it
> >is AGP 2X/4X compatible. Most ATI Radeons are 2X/4X compatible even if
they
> >are also 8X. A few GeForce cards have this backwards compatibility.
There
> >may be a patch SoftPaq for some cards on the HP/Compaq website.
> >HH
>
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
!