Broadband in student house?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 31, 2005 12:51:46 PM

hi there,

i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?

is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?

thanks in advance for your help
Jon
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:40:31 PM

On 31 Aug 2005 08:51:46 -0700, "Jono" <Shaw.Jonathan@gmail.com> wrote:

>i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
>and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
>laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?

A genuine "geek house". One of the local variety had a nifty way of
doing networking. They installed plastic rain gutter all over the
house near the ceiling. Just drop the cables and wire into the rain
gutter and pull out the ends as needed. No ugly wires on the floor,
across halls, etc. It worked amazingly well.

>is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?

It might be. All you need is a broadband modem, a DSL/cable ethernet
router, and some wireless access points. Note that I said more than
one access points. 6 others implies a large house with more than one
floor. Getting reliable wireless coverage to the entire house may be
difficult, especially between floors. So, you run CAT5 cable from the
router to mulitple access points all over the house to insure decent
coverage. One of the boxes can be a combination router and access
point also known as a wireless router. The others are just access
points (no router) but can be a wireless router setup as an access
point.

I would run the CAT5 cables and not use wireless unless running the
cable is deemed impossible. The laptops probably already have
wireless capeability so those can connect with wireless. The desktops
should get wired if possible.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
August 31, 2005 3:03:58 PM

On 8/31/2005 10:51 AM, Jono wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
> and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
> laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?
>
> is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?
>
> thanks in advance for your help
> Jon

Depends on the construction. I would start off with a LinkSys WRT54G
and the LinkSys wireless G cards (if you need them). If one doesn't
cover the the needed areas, get another then load Sveasoft Alchemy or
Talisman firmware and do a WDS to connect them together. I just did the
later for my brother who lives in a concrete construction home and it
works great.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:51:33 PM

maybe try to run ethernet cable to as many pcs as its easily possible and
do wireless to any stubborn locations

!