Broadband in student house?

hi there,

i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?

is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?

thanks in advance for your help
Jon
3 answers Last reply
More about broadband student house

    On 31 Aug 2005 08:51:46 -0700, "Jono" <Shaw.Jonathan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
    >and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
    >laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?

    A genuine "geek house". One of the local variety had a nifty way of
    doing networking. They installed plastic rain gutter all over the
    house near the ceiling. Just drop the cables and wire into the rain
    gutter and pull out the ends as needed. No ugly wires on the floor,
    across halls, etc. It worked amazingly well.

    >is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?

    It might be. All you need is a broadband modem, a DSL/cable ethernet
    router, and some wireless access points. Note that I said more than
    one access points. 6 others implies a large house with more than one
    floor. Getting reliable wireless coverage to the entire house may be
    difficult, especially between floors. So, you run CAT5 cable from the
    router to mulitple access points all over the house to insure decent
    coverage. One of the boxes can be a combination router and access
    point also known as a wireless router. The others are just access
    points (no router) but can be a wireless router setup as an access
    point.

    I would run the CAT5 cables and not use wireless unless running the
    cable is deemed impossible. The laptops probably already have
    wireless capeability so those can connect with wireless. The desktops
    should get wired if possible.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On 8/31/2005 10:51 AM, Jono wrote:
    > hi there,
    >
    > i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
    > and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
    > laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?
    >
    > is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?
    >
    > thanks in advance for your help
    > Jon

    Depends on the construction. I would start off with a LinkSys WRT54G
    and the LinkSys wireless G cards (if you need them). If one doesn't
    cover the the needed areas, get another then load Sveasoft Alchemy or
    Talisman firmware and do a WDS to connect them together. I just did the
    later for my brother who lives in a concrete construction home and it
    works great.

    maybe try to run ethernet cable to as many pcs as its easily possible and
    do wireless to any stubborn locations

    "Jono" <Shaw.Jonathan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi there,
    >
    > i am getting broadband in my new student house, sharing with 6 others,
    > and would like to know the best way of connecting all computers (both
    > laptops and desktops) to our broadband connection?
    >
    > is it as simple as just buying a wireless internet kit?
    >
    > thanks in advance for your help
    > Jon

Broadband Wireless Networking