LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
I currently have a Prescott 3GHz with a piece of crap mobo that I was suppose to get a rebate for but I forgot to mail in the rebate, SY-P4i865PE DRAGON 2 Plus. I think the temperature sensors on this are blown 'cause softwares think the CPU is @ 76C (the BIOS says 46C and my readings say 39C).

Basically, I want to replace the mobo but I'm looking forward to building something that is going be quiet with a small footprint. So, I figured the Shuttle in the subject is a double wammy. Should I get this or just build a new computer with Pentium M because 478's are already dinosaurs?

LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
No replies to this post? Anyone? Does everyone here just hate Shuttle or something? I was also thinking about the Hiper Chasis HTPC that was built here on this site but it looks kind of cumbersome.

What are your readings of 76C from? I wouldn't changeout systems because of inaccurate temp readings. What are you doing with the PC? What functions do you need it to do where it is lacking in performance? what are the rest of your system specs. We need a lot more details right now to be able to really help you.

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
this is what I have:

p4 prescott 3ghz
512GB pc3200 x2
ATI 7500 (old but does the trick with my Dell 2005FPW)
The case is generic as is the PSU.

I really want to build an HTPC but the but I don't feel that the technology is there, yet. Nevertheless, I do want to put something in the living room and have an extended screen. I read about the problem with the Hiper Chasis so I think I'm going to wait. Getting a new cpu and everything else might be too much money for me. I don't really want to spend more than $300USD.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lordphong on 10/21/05 00:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Is that 7500 a VIVO? If yes, then you already have the capability of putting your PC on your TV - as long as your tv has the right connections.

<font color=blue>(\__/)

LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
Actually I did try to display on my HDTV but the noise from the CPU fan becomes unbearable after a while because of the false temperature reading. BTW, I used SiSoftware Sandra to get the temp and it said 76C.

I guess the question now becomes: How do I lessen that CPU fan? That stupid Prescott is always running @ 3GHz. I wish it would step down or something. Is there a software that does this?

I won't comment on the possibility of speed stepping for your CPU - research that with Intel/Google.

The best way to reduce the noise is to buy an AMD. :wink: The second best way is to use water-cooling (buying good individual parts instead of kits), but that will not decrease the footprint and may increase it with exterior parts for the watercooling. There are other options for cooling/quiet. First thing I would do is replace all of the system fans with high-quality 120mm fans to increase airflow and reduce noise at the same time. You can drill the holes as long as your case has the space. The second thing would be to evaluate the HSF - replace if too noisy. Run your system and if it still gets too noisy, then you can look at a more quiet PSU or something like one of these acoustipacs at <A HREF="http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/scan/st=db/co=yes/rf=*/fi=products/sf=category/op=eq/se=Case Insulation.html" target="_new">EndPCNoise.com</A> or similar site and do a google along those same lines for more options.

<font color=blue>(\__/)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cubes are crap, and if you tell me they save space I'll tell you that you're lying.

Cubes are usually about 8.5" by 8.5". You can get a Micro ATX desktop that's 15" by 5.5", it's shorter so it saves space in a rack. You can get a Micro ATX tower that's 5.5" by 15", it's narrower so it saves space on a desk. In fact, cubes take up more desk space than most full-tower cases, and take up more rack space than most full-ATX HTPC cases, because of their squarish shape.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
Crashman,
I think that you have the right idea even though you are clearly a cube design hater. Can you please recommend me some nice micro atx cases like that of the Hiper Chasis?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Coolermaster has a 3-slot chassis that accepts full-sized cards and full-sized motherboards in a 3.5" height, their <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-260&other_title=+RC-260+CM Media 260" target="_new">CM Media 260</A>. If you want something smaller, they also have the <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-270&other_title=+RC-270+CM Media 270" target="_new">CM Media 270</A>, which is rediculous as the basis for a powerful system. The most usefull version I've seen is the <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-250&other_title=+RC-250+CM Media 250" target="_new">CM Media 250</A>, a 5.5" high Micro ATX desktop that accepts full-sized power supplies and doesn't have the card layout restrictions of the 260 or 270.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LordPhong

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
For an AV rack mount solution, I think the 260 best suits my needs. Even with it's shortcomings, I think it's a better buy than the Silverstone's LC11. this is escpecially true in my case since I don't have to get a new mobo. In the Tuan Huynh's review, I can see myself cutting the chassis to fit the video card.

I personally love the Shuttle's M1000 but I don't have $1900. This $99 case will continue on with my current mobo and other parts. I just hope the CPU fits.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the 260 fits full-sized boards, but only those with standard slot layouts. The main reason I recommend the 250 is because it supports ALL Micro-ATX boards, regardless of slot layout...you could even have a PCI-Express x16 slot on the "wrong end" and an ISA slot where the graphics card should go, not a problem when you don't use risers.

TRENDING THREADS