HyperText Transfer Protocol Links

Since installing SP2 When I click on a HyperText Transfer Protocol link
(e.g. in BBC news, clicking on the video news link) the media select window
appear momentarily and then disappears. Likewise when I am in the website of
an estate agent and there are a series of pictures following the main one,
clicking on the link brings up the next pic briefly and then it disappears.

Why has MS not bought out a fix for what seems to be a general problem? Is
there a 'simple' fix that does not entail rambling through a series of moves
of trial and error?

--
Alan

Alan Challoner wrote:
> Since installing SP2 When I click on a HyperText Transfer
> Protocol link (e.g. in BBC news, clicking on the video news
> link) the media select window appear momentarily and then
> disappears. Likewise when I am in the website of an estate
> agent and there are a series of pictures following the main
> one, clicking on the link brings up the next pic briefly and
> then it disappears.
> Why has MS not bought out a fix for what seems to be a
> general problem? Is there a 'simple' fix that does not
> entail rambling through a series of moves of trial and error?

They may be falling victim to the XP popup blocker.

Either disable the built-in popup blocker or hold down the CTRL
key when you click on those links. Take a look here for more
info:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx

Nepatsfan

Thank you for this advice but it doesn't seem to help.
I don't think that the disappearing windows are pop-ups; they are links to
affiliated frames that are being prevented from remaining in memory.
I have used the ctrl key and turned off XP pop-up blocker (separately and
together) but the trouble persists.
Alan
=====

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> Alan Challoner wrote:
>> Since installing SP2 When I click on a HyperText Transfer
>> Protocol link (e.g. in BBC news, clicking on the video news
>> link) the media select window appear momentarily and then
>> disappears. Likewise when I am in the website of an estate
>> agent and there are a series of pictures following the main
>> one, clicking on the link brings up the next pic briefly and
>> then it disappears.
>> Why has MS not bought out a fix for what seems to be a
>> general problem? Is there a 'simple' fix that does not
>> entail rambling through a series of moves of trial and error?
>
> They may be falling victim to the XP popup blocker.
>
> Either disable the built-in popup blocker or hold down the CTRL key when
> you click on those links. Take a look here for more info:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx
>
> Nepatsfan

If you haven't done so already, you might want to post your
question in the Internet Explorer newsgroup:

If you do, try to include examples of the web sites on which
this problem occurs. Go to one of the sites, copy what's
showing in the Internet Explorer address bar and paste it into
your message.

You might also want to visit this web site to make sure that
you're using the latest version of Sun's Java:

http://java.com/en/

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Nepatsfan

Alan Challoner wrote:
> Thank you for this advice but it doesn't seem to help.
> I don't think that the disappearing windows are pop-ups;
> they are links to affiliated frames that are being prevented
> from remaining in memory. I have used the ctrl key and turned
> off XP pop-up blocker
> (separately and together) but the trouble persists.
> Alan
> =====
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> Alan Challoner wrote:
>>> Since installing SP2 When I click on a HyperText Transfer
>>> Protocol link (e.g. in BBC news, clicking on the video news
>>> link) the media select window appear momentarily and then
>>> disappears. Likewise when I am in the website of an estate
>>> agent and there are a series of pictures following the main
>>> one, clicking on the link brings up the next pic briefly
>>> and then it disappears.
>>> Why has MS not bought out a fix for what seems to be a
>>> general problem? Is there a 'simple' fix that does not
>>> entail rambling through a series of moves of trial and
>>> error?
>>
>> They may be falling victim to the XP popup blocker.
>>
>> Either disable the built-in popup blocker or hold down the
>> CTRL key when you click on those links. Take a look here
>> for more info:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx
>>
>> Nepatsfan

Thank you, I have done that.