reinstalling uninstalled program

i had problems with one of the media players that my computer came installed
with so i uninstalled it. turns out that the program contained my computer's
dvd decoder. when i search my computer, the only file i find pertaining to
the program is a ".pf" (or prefetch file). how can i open that? or is there
any other way to reinstall the program?
2 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling uninstalled program

    svm wrote:
    > i had problems with one of the media players that my computer came
    > installed with so i uninstalled it. turns out that the program
    > contained my computer's dvd decoder. when i search my computer, the
    > only file i find pertaining to the program is a ".pf" (or prefetch
    > file). how can i open that? or is there any other way to reinstall
    > the program?

    From the installation media that came with your computer..
    If it did not come with the media - then it may have only come with a way to
    restore the system to its original state - many OEMs do this.

    In other words -- no installation media - no reinstall.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Depending on which player, or more specifically decoder it was, it may
    be possible to identify the relevant components, extract them from your
    RESTORE CD, and register them with Windows, thus making them available
    to any application that requires them.

    Can you tell us which player it was that you uninstalled? Or, search
    your RESTORE CD for files like IVIVIDEO or CLAUD (these are Intervideo
    video decoder and PowerDVD audio decoder, respectively). I can't think
    of the names of other popular decoders off hand.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP