reinstalling uninstalled program

August 3, 2005 12:06:01 AM

i had problems with one of the media players that my computer came installed
with so i uninstalled it. turns out that the program contained my computer's
dvd decoder. when i search my computer, the only file i find pertaining to
the program is a ".pf" (or prefetch file). how can i open that? or is there
any other way to reinstall the program?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:12:17 AM

svm wrote:
> i had problems with one of the media players that my computer came
> installed with so i uninstalled it. turns out that the program
> contained my computer's dvd decoder. when i search my computer, the
> only file i find pertaining to the program is a ".pf" (or prefetch
> file). how can i open that? or is there any other way to reinstall
> the program?

From the installation media that came with your computer..
If it did not come with the media - then it may have only come with a way to
restore the system to its original state - many OEMs do this.

In other words -- no installation media - no reinstall.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Depending on which player, or more specifically decoder it was, it may
be possible to identify the relevant components, extract them from your
RESTORE CD, and register them with Windows, thus making them available
to any application that requires them.

Can you tell us which player it was that you uninstalled? Or, search
your RESTORE CD for files like IVIVIDEO or CLAUD (these are Intervideo
video decoder and PowerDVD audio decoder, respectively). I can't think
of the names of other popular decoders off hand.
!