REMOVING PROGRAM

I'm running Win XP Home SP3. when I open control panel then Add/Remove
Programs the click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of
programs but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected. Stops me
cold. :(

I get only a date last used, size, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Bob
6 answers Last reply
More about removing program

    USGrant wrote:
    > I'm running Win XP Home SP3.

    Interesting. There is no Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

    > When I open control panel then Add/Remove Programs then
    > click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of programs
    > but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected.
    > Stops me cold. :(
    >
    > I get only a date last used, size, etc.

    Are you doing this as a user with administrative access?

    From a search, AmericanTechie and Wesley Vogel had this to say on a similar
    issue:

    Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
    Try line 337 at the website listed below.

    Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
    Change and Remove buttons
    http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

    Hoe that helps you.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > USGrant wrote:
    > > I'm running Win XP Home SP3.
    >
    > Interesting. There is no Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.
    >
    > > When I open control panel then Add/Remove Programs then
    > > click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of programs
    > > but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected.
    > > Stops me cold. :(
    > >
    > > I get only a date last used, size, etc.
    >
    > Are you doing this as a user with administrative access?
    >
    > From a search, AmericanTechie and Wesley Vogel had this to say on a similar
    > issue:
    >
    > Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
    > Try line 337 at the website listed below.

    No help. SP2 is successfully installed.

    > Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
    > Change and Remove buttons
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

    There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.

    > Hoe that helps you.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    USGrant wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
    >> Try line 337 at the website listed below.
    >
    > No help. SP2 is successfully installed.

    So..?!
    Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
    " Restore Change or Remove Programs "

    >> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
    >> Change and Remove buttons
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
    >
    > There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.

    So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
    to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
    there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
    numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
    then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
    find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > USGrant wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >> Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
    > >> Try line 337 at the website listed below.

    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    > > No help. SP2 is successfully installed.
    >
    > So..?!
    > Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
    > " Restore Change or Remove Programs "
    Did this, no change.

    > >> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
    > >> Change and Remove buttons
    > >> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
    > >
    > > There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.
    >
    > So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    > and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
    > to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
    > there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
    > numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
    > then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
    > find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!

    There are strange sets of #/letters. And the name of only one Program.
    There were only two entries that had "NoModify" entries. I changed these
    from "1" to "0".
    No change in problem.

    I have also run (from Command Prompt) the sfc.exe series of procedures
    without change to my problem.

    I appreciate your helping.

    Bob

    "USGrant" wrote:

    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    > > USGrant wrote:
    > > <snip>

    > > > No help. SP2 is successfully installed.
    > >
    > > So..?!
    > > Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
    > > " Restore Change or Remove Programs "
    > Did this, no change.

    > > > There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.
    > >
    > > So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    > > and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
    > > to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
    > > there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
    > > numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
    > > then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
    > > find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!
    >
    > There are strange sets of #/letters. And the name of only one Program.
    > There were only two entries that had "NoModify" entries. I changed these
    > from "1" to "0".
    > No change in problem.
    >
    > I have also run (from Command Prompt) the sfc.exe series of procedures
    > without change to my problem.
    >
    > I appreciate your helping.
    >
    > Bob

    In Add/Remove Programs, it seems like only the items recently installed or
    updated have the Change/Remove option.

    USGrant wrote:
    > In Add/Remove Programs, it seems like only the items recently
    > installed or updated have the Change/Remove option.

    Hmm - really bizarre.. I will keep researching - but for now I am out of
    ideas.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP