REMOVING PROGRAM

USGrant

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

I'm running Win XP Home SP3. when I open control panel then Add/Remove
Programs the click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of
programs but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected. Stops me
cold. :(

I get only a date last used, size, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Bob

USGrant wrote:
> I'm running Win XP Home SP3.

Interesting. There is no Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

> When I open control panel then Add/Remove Programs then
> click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of programs
> but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected.
> Stops me cold. :(
>
> I get only a date last used, size, etc.

Are you doing this as a user with administrative access?

From a search, AmericanTechie and Wesley Vogel had this to say on a similar
issue:

Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
Try line 337 at the website listed below.

Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
Change and Remove buttons
http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

Hoe that helps you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

USGrant

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> USGrant wrote:
> > I'm running Win XP Home SP3.
>
> Interesting. There is no Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.
>
> > When I open control panel then Add/Remove Programs then
> > click on the Add/Remove button, I get the usual display of programs
> > but NO Change/Remove button when a program is selected.
> > Stops me cold. :(
> >
> > I get only a date last used, size, etc.
>
> Are you doing this as a user with administrative access?
>
> From a search, AmericanTechie and Wesley Vogel had this to say on a similar
> issue:
>
> Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
> Try line 337 at the website listed below.

No help. SP2 is successfully installed.

> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
> Change and Remove buttons
> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.

> Hoe that helps you.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

USGrant wrote:
<snip>
>> Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
>> Try line 337 at the website listed below.
>
> No help. SP2 is successfully installed.

So..?!
Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
" Restore Change or Remove Programs "

>> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
>> Change and Remove buttons
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
>
> There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.

So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> USGrant wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Kelly has a possible solution for this problem listed at her website.
> >> Try line 337 at the website listed below.

> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

> > No help. SP2 is successfully installed.
>
> So..?!
> Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
> " Restore Change or Remove Programs "
Did this, no change.

> >> Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing
> >> Change and Remove buttons
> >> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm
> >
> > There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.
>
> So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
> to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
> there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
> numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
> then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
> find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!

There are strange sets of #/letters. And the name of only one Program.
There were only two entries that had "NoModify" entries. I changed these
from "1" to "0".
No change in problem.

I have also run (from Command Prompt) the sfc.exe series of procedures
without change to my problem.

I appreciate your helping.

Bob

"USGrant" wrote:

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > USGrant wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > No help. SP2 is successfully installed.
> >
> > So..?!
> > Not the left side of 337 - the right.. Where it says:
> > " Restore Change or Remove Programs "
> Did this, no change.

> > > There no "Programs" listed in the last step of the procedure.
> >
> > So you are saying that is you run "regedit" and go to:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> > and then click on the (+) to the left of the word "Uninstall" to change it
> > to a (-) and look at the sub-listings under "Uninstall", there is nothing
> > there? At all? No names of applications and no strange sets of
> > numbers/letters like "{644F9DBE-CEDB-45AF-ACB8-E26692B74F61}" that you can
> > then click on (one at a time) and look on the right side of the window to
> > find the entries " NoRemove " and/or " NoModify "?!
>
> There are strange sets of #/letters. And the name of only one Program.
> There were only two entries that had "NoModify" entries. I changed these
> from "1" to "0".
> No change in problem.
>
> I have also run (from Command Prompt) the sfc.exe series of procedures
> without change to my problem.
>
> I appreciate your helping.
>
> Bob

In Add/Remove Programs, it seems like only the items recently installed or
updated have the Change/Remove option.

USGrant wrote:
> In Add/Remove Programs, it seems like only the items recently
> installed or updated have the Change/Remove option.

Hmm - really bizarre.. I will keep researching - but for now I am out of
ideas.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP