sw6903

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2005
I'm looking for a quick word of advice - it's been a while since I built my last box and of course I wasn't aware of the new atx standard. So I unknowingly bought a case with a 350w 24 pin atx connector, removed the extra 4 pins from a 24 pin connector (figuring it would be ok) and plugged it into a 20 pin mobo. After a few hours running I walked away from it and when I returned, nothing! Never a good sign.

A friend told me I fried the mobo, but I was able to get it running using an older 20 pin psu lying around. I still don't get any response though using the 24 pin psu.

Will the 24 pin psu work if I buy the 24 to 20 pin adapter or is the psu toast?

As a sidenote, the fan on the psu never ran, even while the system was. Is that normal? I didn't make anything of it figuring it was a smart psu (antec smartpower 350w) and would run them if needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

sw6903

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2005
Antec Solution SLK1650 Beige Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retai

ASUS P4S8X-MX Socket 478 SIS 661GX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If removing the 4 allows me to use it like a normal atx, then there must be something else going on. Is it possible to test a psu with no system?

sw6903

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2005
Thanks for the tip. Ok, I don't know much about doing this sort of thing, so should I do it while it's on or off? What will happen to show me the psu is still functional or not?