why win limits CPU usage to 50%?

bxf Wrote:
> xavmdq wrote:-
> In 2 computers with Pentium 4 540 3.2Ghz / 1GB RAM and P4 530 3GHz /
> 2GB RAM the other, with Windows XP Sp2 in both computers, any process
> (I probe Rhino and PET) uses only 50% of CPU in any priority (I set
> normal and
> high).-
>
> I suppose you've dismissed the idea that your CPUs are so powerful
> that
> they perform any task without exerting themselves beyond 50%? :)

:) I think that, but why just 50%? no less, no more! And this
programs are very angry in terms of CPU and memory. I loaded 3 images
and the program ran very slow.

Someone has P4 Prescott to verify this behavior?

May be is a feature of this line of processors.

Shenan: I used ScienceMark to load CPU. Now I'll try with HeavyLoad.
Thanks.

--
xavmdq

I don't know what the following will tell us, but, at least as a point
of interest, does your System Properties page (Windows key +
Break/Pause) show the correct CPU speed?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> bxf Wrote:
> > xavmdq wrote:-
> > In 2 computers with Pentium 4 540 3.2Ghz / 1GB RAM and P4
> 530 3GHz /
> > 2GB RAM the other, with Windows XP Sp2 in both computers,
> any process
> > (I probe Rhino and PET) uses only 50% of CPU in any priority
> (I set
> > normal and
> > high).-
> >
> > I suppose you've dismissed the idea that your CPUs are so
> powerful
> > that
> > they perform any task without exerting themselves beyond
> 50%? :)
>
> :) I think that, but why just 50%? no less, no more! And this
> programs are very angry in terms of CPU and memory. I loaded 3
> images
> and the program ran very slow.
>
> Someone has P4 Prescott to verify this behavior?
>
> May be is a feature of this line of processors.
>
> Shenan: I used ScienceMark to load CPU. Now I'll try with
> HeavyLoad.
> Thanks.
>

> --
> xavmdq

Perhaps the CPU is dule core (and hence two CPU’s in one unit) and
the program dose not support multi threding, as such can opnly use one
CPU, which would be 50% cumulative CPU usage.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-win-limits-CPU-usage-50-ftopict404183.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1339002