puternoob

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2005
Hi, I am new here and I am older, technically challenged and would love some suggestions. My 350w power supply went on me, a friend (computer literate person) ordered me a Rexus 350w, but it doesn't seem to be quite right. There was no documentation in the box, nowhere to contact whoever made it, I can't even find a reviews on this, and it was very cheap, so ... he claims that because I started with a 350w power supply, I should never go past that given my curent system (which I won't be upgrading unless something's needed).

I'm getting lag, sometimes taking 4 or 5 minutes to open my browser or if I open a new window sometimes getting that outline but nothing in the middle, getting those grey "Windows has recovered from a fatal error" boxes on some start-ups, unexpected shut-downs if I'm doing something like playing an online shockwave or flash game and those types of games in general seem "jerky" for lack of a better term. It's almost like being back on dial-up and I now have RR cable.

From the information I get in My Computer (it's around 3 years old):

AMD Athlon 1800+, Video is 3D Prophet 4500, Sound VIA Technologies vinyl AC'97 Codec, Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI ethernet, 80 gig hd (96% free resources), 1 gig ram (2 512), CD WR, DVD player, floppy, then Visioneer scanner, Bonzai 2.0 flash for my digital pics (not left plugged in), printer - not right now, mine's dead. But I do want to replace that, and get a tablet. Yes, I have software (psp7, spybot, ad-aware, cwshredder, spywareblaster, mcafee a/v, zone alarm pro firewall, windows XPSP1, word/office, IE6, firefox, and alot of graphics and some extra fonts - but not so much that would slow me down.

I'd been to the amd site and looked at their recommended companies. Most I simply can't afford or won't fit in my case (and I don't know anything about changing things).

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104205 Topower TOP-400W ATX 12V psu. The price is right for me (fixed income)at $36 ... but it says OEM? My case is large and what fits in there is the "standard" opening for fan (X) then power switch/115v/computer plug ("). | X |"| Help? Thanks so much in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by puternoob on 10/30/05 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, your friend is completely wrong, I'll give you an example: Your wall outlet is something like 1800W, yet it doesn't blow a 7w nightlight! You can't have too much capacity when it comes to power supplies.

I'd suggest a Sparkle Power power supply from Newegg. 350W from them is just a suggestion, they're actuall capable of over 400W. Whatever you can find from them for $40 or less, considering your budget.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
By the way, it might increase system stability, but it won't make your system less laggy. If the lagginess started at the exact moment of the power supply failure, it's probably caused by a system crash damaging a file or setting...a software issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103486" target="_new">Clicky</A>

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

puternoob

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2005
Hi

I wanted to thank you both for your recommendation. I am sorry to have not replied sooner. We had a health crisis and then a death in the family. So, I've not been online and haven't had the attention span ...

Anyway, I looked at that Sparkle, and it looks nice. Problem? That will not fit in my case and I am not a modifier. I need a plain atx type PS. So, while at newegg, I found these two which seem like they would suit my needs and fit my case (no I don't know the name of the case).

Thermal Take Silet Purepower 420w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

and

Just PC 450w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817181107

I don't know what this means: "It has only 4 molex power connectors. 2 HD's and 2 CD's and your done." in a review of the Just PC.

I do like that both are dual fan, one on the bottom and the exhaust in the back. I think my athlon would like that extra bit. I do have a case fan in the back too, but it does get hot.

As to the software issue? I spoke with a friend and he advised besides getting a regular ATX dual fan PS (which he said he will come and install) I should have a reformat (Bleh), since the old power supply did kind of die -- not completely, but I was getting shutdowns and weird errors when it was going.

So, I come to you for your sage advice on these 2 power supplies. There is only a $2 difference, so it's not a money issue with them. I cannot afford to spend more than about $40, want 2 fans, want 400 watts (or more if possible), and the 2 PS I listed are set up the same as my current (garbage, but doing until I get a decent one) PS. I'm leaning toward the Thermal Take based on the reviews. But I'm sure you all have used every type of PS on the market! Thanks again :)

for reference:

AMD Athlon 1800+, Gigabyte motherboard, Video is 3D Prophet 4500, Sound VIA Technologies vinyl AC'97 Codec, Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI ethernet, 80 gig hd (96% free resources), 1 gig ram (2 512), CD WR, DVD player, floppy, then Visioneer scanner, Bonzai 2.0 flash for my digital pics (not left plugged in), printer - not right now, mine's dead. But I do want to replace that, and now have a tablet and a "dock" for my digital camera (Kodak easyshare).

mapg

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
What I do not understand why so "intelligent" and "experienced" people uses these Tomshardware's forums and do not recommend the best PSUs TESTED by Tomshardware with high-end electronic measurement mobos?

Are you sure that you read Tomshardware? If so, what a hell are you recommending then?! and above all: What a hell are you doing here?

Seasonic is the best PSU tested by multiple hardware-related sites over Internet and Magazines. Seasonic was the first brand to win the first 80Plus.org in all the PSU market.

Seasonic, of course. Seasonic. And above all ... Read first, ask later.

Regards.

puternoob

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2005
What I do not understand why so "intelligent" and "experienced" people uses these Tomshardware's forums and do not recommend the best PSUs TESTED by Tomshardware with high-end electronic measurement mobos?

Are you sure that you read Tomshardware? If so, what a hell are you recommending then?! and above all: What a hell are you doing here?

Seasonic is the best PSU tested by multiple hardware-related sites over Internet and Magazines. Seasonic was the first brand to win the first 80Plus.org in all the PSU market.

Seasonic, of course. Seasonic. And above all ... Read first, ask later.

Regards.

I am sorry, I am not all that computer savvy. I am here because I wanted some help and advice, not to be put in my place, as it were.

This is the first PS I have had to buy. I am also on a fixed limited income, so price point is a concern. I cannot afford a $75 PS at this time. And only 2 of the Seasonic PS at newegg will even fit my case.

My apologies if I am a bother.

Are you sure that you read Tomshardware? If so, what a hell are you
recommending then?! and above all: What a hell are you doing here?
This obviously wasn't meant to be directed at puternoob. That leaves Crash or myself. If you want to try and slam someone then you should try responding to their statements instead of randomly spewing your ignorance at others.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good PSU. Is Seasonic the best? It is at least in the top echelon PSUs...you've also got PC Power and Cooling, Enermax and Antecs TP series. All are great PSUs, but there are other really good options, too. Fortron and Sparkle make great PSUs, too. Just becuase they don't fit into your mold of what is good, doesn't make them bad. Ever read about the Fortron Blue Storm 500W? Ever read about the Enermax Noisetaker PSUs? You need to take a look at other quality solutions that are more economical.

Do I read THG? Yes, I read some of their reviews. PSUs are actually one of their better review topics. A lot of their other reviews are skewed or innacurate. THG is not the only testing site out there and some do a better job of reviewing hardware in an unbiased or less biased manner. Don't depend on one site for all of your review info or you'll blind yourself to that sites bias or never discover better methods/better sites.

If so, what a hell are you recommending then?!
Giving viable, cost-effective options. It's about price/performance - not always buying the most expensive parts. If you have money to waste, then throw it wherever you want. Just don't expect everyone else to spend their money in the same manner....Newb

puternoob

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2005
Rugger and anyone else,

It was never my intention to start anything. I am sorry.

I have looked at several PS and I have read the testing pages, though I admit to not understanding much of it.

I am still down to the same 2 power supplies, the thermaltake and the just pc.

These 2:

Thermal Take Silet Purepower 420w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

Just PC 450w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817181107

If anyone has any opinions/suggestions/recommendations as to which of these power supplies, which will fit both my computer case and my budget, as well as the wattage I have been advised to look for, I would appreciate it. And I will attempt to learn more (which is hard as I have cognitive problems) and leave you all in peace.

Thank you.

That wasn't directed at you at all! Hint: Look at who the rely was sent to in the top line. I was defending myself from his snide and rather uninformed blather.

On to the better stuff...between those I would go with this FSP 400W. Notice the nicely perforated vent area and the large fan for cooling. This PSU will be cool and quiet. It has more than enough beef to power your system and FSP tends to underrate their PSUs. Last, but not least it has the extra 4-pin plug for compatibiliy with 24-pin mobos - that adapter cable is around $5-10. Food for thought...

Between the two you listed, I would go with the TT 420W - consider JustPC to be a generic brand. [shrug]