Deskpro 2000 (5133 non mmx)

Hi,

My daughter was given the old compaq pc for free, so I decided to upgrade
the hard drive for her.
I replaced the original 1.2GB, with a 40GB maxtor and then my troubles
began!

Everytime I try to install win me, the computer hangs at the point after the
initial scandisk (black screen - copying files) with only one directory
repeatedly installed - 'wininsto.400'. This happens if booting from cd or if
I copy the whole windows cd to disk and run from disk.

I have tried setting the new disk up with and without the diagnostics
partition (F10), upgraded the bios, tried all the patches - but nothing
works!!
I thought it might be a virus sector enable in the bios, but there doesn't
seem to be an option for it?

I put the old disk drive back in, and hey, the system crashed!! So I tried
to reinstall windows on the old disk, and now I have the same problem with
this as well!!!

Both disks worked fine when I installed them in my own PC.

Any Ideas?

Kind Regards...

First, I think you ran into a BIOS limitation which restricts the maximum size
handled by the BIOS to 8.4GB. To add the 40GB drive, you would also need a 3rd
party controller card with its own disk BIOS which effectively replaces the
motherboard's disk BIOS.

Next, clear the motherboard BIOS CMOS settings, and try again with the original
disk... Ben Myers

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:20:04 +0100, "SG" <steven@gallacher7.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My daughter was given the old compaq pc for free, so I decided to upgrade
>the hard drive for her.
>I replaced the original 1.2GB, with a 40GB maxtor and then my troubles
>began!
>
>Everytime I try to install win me, the computer hangs at the point after the
>initial scandisk (black screen - copying files) with only one directory
>repeatedly installed - 'wininsto.400'. This happens if booting from cd or if
>I copy the whole windows cd to disk and run from disk.
>
>I have tried setting the new disk up with and without the diagnostics
>partition (F10), upgraded the bios, tried all the patches - but nothing
>works!!
>I thought it might be a virus sector enable in the bios, but there doesn't
>seem to be an option for it?
>
>I put the old disk drive back in, and hey, the system crashed!! So I tried
>to reinstall windows on the old disk, and now I have the same problem with
>this as well!!!
>
>Both disks worked fine when I installed them in my own PC.
>
>Any Ideas?
>
>Kind Regards...

UPDATE

I was aware of the BIOS limitations, however, there was a patch on the HP
(compaq) site for drive recognition >8GB that I had installed - but the
problem continued anyway!!

I 're-seated' all cards (there was a sort of memory stick between the CPU
and heatsink that was somewhat 'wobbly') and cleared the CMOS via onboard
jumpers and got successful installation!!
The only thing I can think of was that the 'wobbly memory' got dislodged
when moving HDisk in/out (directly below).
Thanks for the contribution Ben.

-sg