Get folder size from command?

Howdy-

Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command
line? I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to
be able to get size information for specific folder without having to
use Explorer... Maybe a third-party tool?

TIA,
BM

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Hi,
I'm not too clear on what you want to do, but, assuming you want a command
line utility to display size of the folder EXCLUDING subfolders (otherwise
why would you dismiss diruse?), you can:
1. use DU -n from sysinternals:
http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/du.html
2. use batch (use dir), see this one for example
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/files/diskuse2k.txt - just modify it to
remove calculations of subfolders.

Mak wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not too clear on what you want to do, but, assuming you want a command
> line utility to display size of the folder EXCLUDING subfolders (otherwise
> why would you dismiss diruse?), you can:
> 1. use DU -n from sysinternals:
> http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/du.html
> 2. use batch (use dir), see this one for example
> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/files/diskuse2k.txt - just modify it to
> remove calculations of subfolders.
>
> "Brian MXP" <brian@nospam.broad.mit.edu> wrote in message
>
>>Howdy-
>>
>>Is there any way to get the size of a single folder from the command line?
>>I know diruse can search/display within a tree, but I'd like to be able to
>>get size information for specific folder without having to use Explorer...
>>Maybe a third-party tool?
>>
>>TIA,
>>BM

Mak-

You were right; I do get what I need with diruse. I had been so used to
running diruse to loop through directories for specific-sized folders
that I forgot it could be used to display single (I did want sub-dirs,
too) folder sizes...

c:\temp>diruse <foldername> /m

gave me what I wanted (in Megabytes)

Thanks,