Disappearing Folders on CD/RW

Several times in the last week I have tried to update folders on a CDRW. As
long as I am writing a new folder, there is no problem BUT when I try and
write a folder that already exists on the CDRW, a dialog box opens up and
asks me if I want to "update the contents of this folder". If I answer Yes,
it appears to do the update. But when I reinsert trhe CDRW every one of the
previous folders are gone. They just vanish. A new folder copied over and
written will appear as the only one on the CDRW. Is this a problem with
Roxio, or is there some tomfoolery going on?

Windows XP pro SP2

Additional info: I am able to reproduce this error (?) every time. I just
did it twice. Other than ruining two CD/RWs, I am not able to figure out
what is happening. Until I do I guess I'll just have to make sure that I
don't duplicate any folders on the disc.