Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with a
500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the max
memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of the
manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB memory.
He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics on
the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to run
games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
Any help gratefully received.
Regards
John

The Intel 810e chipset is limited to 512MB max of memory. The system can handle
a pair of 256MB LOW DENSITY PC100 or PC133 non-parity SDRAM DIMMs.

Is this a system with a Slot 1 processor or a Socket 370 processor? DeskPro EP
systems were made with both. If the former, the fastest CPU is a 600MHz Pentium
III operating at 2.0v and 100MHz front-side bus. Careful here, because Intel
made quite a few different 600MHz Slot 1 Pentium IIIs. Frankly, 500MHz to
600MHz is hardly worth the effort and cost.

If the processor is a Socket 370, I think that the fastest supported CPU would
be 850MHz, which will provide a respectable bump in performance... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:23:57 +0100, "John Orrett" <johnorrett@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with a
>500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
>Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the max
>memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of the
>manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB memory.
>He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics on
>the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to run
>games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
>Any help gratefully received.
>Regards
>John

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:23:57 +0100, John Orrett
<johnorrett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with a
> 500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
> Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the
> max
> memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of
> the
> manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB
> memory.
> He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics
> on
> the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to
> run
> games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
> Any help gratefully received.
> Regards
> John

If you install a Powerleap CPU, you can get 1,4GHz.

--
JP Loken
Using Opera

hh

Game play will be really slowed by the PCI graphics, especially games like
Half-Life, Unreal Tournament and Doom III. If games like that are the ones
he wants to run, that PC isn't the one to do it, regardless of how fast a
processor or how much RAM.
HH

"JP Loken" <jp_lokennospam@hotmailikkespam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:23:57 +0100, John Orrett
> <johnorrett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with
> > 500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
> > Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the
> > max
> > memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of
> > the
> > manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB
> > memory.
> > He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics
> > on
> > the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to
> > run
> > games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
> > Any help gratefully received.
> > Regards
> > John
> >

> If you install a Powerleap CPU, you can get 1,4GHz.
>

> --
> JP Loken
> Using Opera

I agree.
I am playing now and then on my own, pretty similar PC(Presario 5686) that
I've upgraded in much the same way(1GHz CPU and 64MB 2xAGP). But I don't
buy the hottest games anymore.

--
JP Loken
Using Opera

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:04:21 -0400, HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Game play will be really slowed by the PCI graphics, especially games
> like
> Half-Life, Unreal Tournament and Doom III. If games like that are the
> ones
> he wants to run, that PC isn't the one to do it, regardless of how fast a
> processor or how much RAM.
> HH
>
> "JP Loken" <jp_lokennospam@hotmailikkespam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:23:57 +0100, John Orrett
>> <johnorrett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model,
>> with
>> > 500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
>> > Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the
>> > max
>> > memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some
>> of
>> > the
>> > manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB
>> > memory.
>> > He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard
>> graphics
>> > on
>> > the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to
>> > run
>> > games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
>> > Any help gratefully received.
>> > Regards
>> > John
>> >

>> If you install a Powerleap CPU, you can get 1,4GHz.
>>

>> --
>> JP Loken
>> Using Opera

hh

Big difference between a 2X AGP video card and a PCI video card.

> I agree.
> I am playing now and then on my own, pretty similar PC(Presario 5686) that
> I've upgraded in much the same way(1GHz CPU and 64MB 2xAGP). But I don't
> buy the hottest games anymore.
>

> --
> JP Loken
> Using Opera
>

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:04:21 -0400, HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Game play will be really slowed by the PCI graphics, especially games
> > like
> > Half-Life, Unreal Tournament and Doom III. If games like that are the
> > ones
> > he wants to run, that PC isn't the one to do it, regardless of how fast
> > processor or how much RAM.
> > HH
> >
> > "JP Loken" <jp_lokennospam@hotmailikkespam.com> wrote in message

> >> with
> >> of
> >> graphics
> >> >

> >> If you install a Powerleap CPU, you can get 1,4GHz.
> >>

> >> --
> >> JP Loken
> >> Using Opera

Thanks for the feedback guys - time for him to buy a new PC for his games
:)
Cheers
John