Sign in with
Your question

Dual Boot 2 of the same OS for Gaming

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 22, 2012 2:28:43 PM

Im having a hard time finding info on this. Everything i came across is dual booting two different OS. I have a 500gb HDD with Windows 7 on it for Audio and Video. I would like to take 100GB from that drive and install another Window 7 on it for gaming only. Is this possible? How would I go about doing this?

My Specs:

Intel Core i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Kingston HyperX blu 16GB DDR3-1600
XFX HD677XZNLC AMD Radeon HD 6770
WD Caviar Blue Sata 6.0 500GB
OCZ Modxstream pro 600
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Thermaltake V4Black case
and Five 120mm fans

More about : dual boot gaming

February 22, 2012 2:34:51 PM

I don't understand what is the purpose of having two of the same OS?
m
l
February 22, 2012 3:03:28 PM

I dont want the games on the same partition as the Pro Tools and other DAW software. The First partition of Win7 will never access the internet, but to play games the second partition will be able to connect to the internet.

But if there is a better way to achieve what im trying to do, im open for any suggestions
m
l
February 22, 2012 3:06:12 PM

I agree its pointless using two installs of Windows 7 on the same PC... you could easily have two users set up o nthe same installation - one with games installed and one with works programs...

m
l
February 22, 2012 3:17:46 PM

should be possible--make the 100gb partition--boot from windows 7 disc and install to the 100gb partition

though i use a separate hard drive with 7 on it for games

@ antizig--the purpose of it would be that you only install what is needed for games and nothing else

my second hard drive is for games only--sometimes all the other stuff i install on my main hard drive stops some

games working and as i install so much stuff i have no idea of what causes the problem so i just load the game

to the second drive and it works fine
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:28:51 PM

so in other words all you need is a separate hdd...?

I can see the purpose of wanting to separate the internet access machine from non-internet access machine, there's severe security advantages, but, since what OP wishes to do is on the same HDD just with partitions. If you do get anything serious from the web, it will compromise the whole HDD, not just one partition.

as said above, it's doable, at least I believe it to be since I've had multiple boots of XP on same HDD once. But I ended up with such situation out of confusion rather than purposeful installation.

you might have to manually edit boot.ini so it would present you with the choice every time you boot.

the problem you might run into is how windows will see the files on the other partition and whether the other partition will be accessible from first installation and vice versa
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:55:46 PM

AntiZig said:
so in other words all you need is a separate hdd...?

I can see the purpose of wanting to separate the internet access machine from non-internet access machine, there's severe security advantages, but, since what OP wishes to do is on the same HDD just with partitions. If you do get anything serious from the web, it will compromise the whole HDD, not just one partition.

as said above, it's doable, at least I believe it to be since I've had multiple boots of XP on same HDD once. But I ended up with such situation out of confusion rather than purposeful installation.

you might have to manually edit boot.ini so it would present you with the choice every time you boot.

the problem you might run into is how windows will see the files on the other partition and whether the other partition will be accessible from first installation and vice versa

yeah ideally on a separate hard drive is the way to do it as i did--and disconnect all other hard drives during

installation

keeps it totally separate that way--but the op asked about in another partition so i assume they dont have

another hard drive available
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:59:38 PM

Just as antizig wrote but will just add that you can use hardware profiles to prevent disks from being seen by the system.
I've done this once too on xp so win7 may be similar.
m
l
February 24, 2012 9:01:36 PM

Going by what AntiZig said, I went and bought a new 120GB Sata drive. Didnt know whole drive will be affected even if you make two partitions. But for some reason it wont let me install Windows 7 OS on the second drive. Gives me error message all the time. I thought i was a faulty HDD but i exchanged them at the store and the same thing. I didnt notice any jumpers on the back of the Drive to make them either Master or Slave.??

I would like:

1nd drive Win7 OS for Audio and Video work

2nd drive 120Gb with Win7 for Gaming

I dont want the drives to interact with each other. I want to be able to boot one or the other.
m
l
February 24, 2012 9:13:57 PM

no jumpers or master or slave if they are sata drives

connect the new 120gb and disconnect the original drive--so only 1 hard drive connected

then try to install windows by booting from the cd/dvd

if you get an error then let us know what the error actually says

m
l
!