USB network card vs PCI network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Hi everyone,

my pc got an old pci 10mb network card, and I changed to the SMC's 10/100mb USB network card.

BUT....when I play war craft 3 LAN game with my mates, it lag even worse than my old 10mb network card!!!

my pc is p3 900 (150*6)
256mb sdram
Geforce2mx
win98se

should I change to PCI network card? or i didn't configure it right?

thanks

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
well, when people ask me about usb network cards, I always say this:

"USB is for gamepads and scanners, network cards are for networks"

I say that, because the problems you are having are not uncommon with usb networks.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

As implied by CALV the USB ones are totally weak. You were probably better off before. Get a GOOD internal network card and you'd be set. I like PCI myself, but I'm lazy and fat. There are some who won't touch it if it aint ISA. Also pick a good one and don't listen to the fools who say that any old thing will do. I've found that precisely for ping reasons (for my games) you NEED a good NIC.

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The performance of USB Nics is VERY bad, issues like you describe are very common, and are compounded if you have multiple USB devices beyond your USB NIC.

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Hi upec,

oh!..only 12mb per sec? wa..that is quite slow..how it suppose cope with 100mb? is it some kind of marketing tricks i didn't aware of?

anyway...i will buy a new PCI NIC soon...

oh, can you give me some advice...

I saw a 1000mb NIC, Intel PRO/1000 MT, and i wonder if i can use it in my compute environment?

I got a 5 port switch 10/100, and all my mates are using 100mb NIC, the cable is Cat 5..and all runs windows system.

will i benefit from that network card? or where is the bottleneck of my pc environment when i play LAN game wiz my mates?

Thanks

G

"oh!..only 12mb per sec? wa..that is quite slow..how it suppose cope with 100mb? is it some kind of marketing tricks i didn't aware of?"

This can be done since 10mbps isn't quite enough to take full advatage of the 12mbps bandwidth. In order to realize the entire 2mbps more bandwidth you need to step up to the 100mbps standard. Pretty sad IMO, but it allows the shifty eyed a stab at some fool money.

My guess is that you suffer more from the high latency required to do the protocol hopping more than total bandwidth limitations of USB though, thus the better performance from the 10Mbps NIC.

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Ok everyone..

Thank you very much for all your replys.

so usb NIC is definitely a dead end..that's for sure!!

um..just one more question:

How to setup a 1000mb network environment? maybe...1000mb/sec is a waste for gaming environment...
I'm just interest...is there a article about it?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.