Sign in with
Your question

Are razer's headsets durable?

Last response: in Video Games
February 22, 2012 9:08:32 PM

Hi,

I have heard a lot that the Razer mouses and keyboards break a lot and don't last long.

I need a new gaming headset and I was looking at the razer headsets. How is the razer megalodon? Is the quality good? Will it last a long time?

I am also looking at the new ones coming out soon which is the Razer Tiamat 7.1 which delivers true 7.1 surround sound. Should I get that?

More about : razer headsets durable

February 22, 2012 9:30:20 PM

Their headsets are not terribly durable, and they don't really exemplify any quality in any particular area given their price tag. Just avoid.

Also the multiple-drivers providing "true" 5.1 and 7.1 sound is a gimmick. The sound sources are too close for your ear to perceive anything but very basic directional sound, at the cost of sound quality (the speakers have to be smaller to fit more in each earcup).

All of those "true" 5.1 and 7.1 headsets still need a dolby headphone encoder to really provide surround sound. What they don't tell you is that that same encoder would do the same thing with a pair of quality stereo headphones and the soundstage would be larger, more accurate, and sound nicer due to the build-quality being significantly better in headphones than gaming headsets.

Any headset with multiple drivers in each ear labeled "true 5.1" or "true 7.1" is a complete scam. They don't provide any advantage at all in positional sound accuracy. Just take advantage of under-educated gamers who are not usually as familiar with audio peripherals.
m
l
February 22, 2012 9:39:35 PM

some of em are some of em arnt. there latest seem more robust but the megaladon, carchas and orca are terrible for design quality. they have small bits of plastic holding vital parts together so if they get even a teeny bump they break and a cup falls off.

there are better out there. just stay away from turtle beach and skullcandy and gembird.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 5:59:10 AM

and stay away from best buy and their con artest salesmen
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:36:45 AM

Been using the carcharias for more than a year now and have just about 'satisfied' with them. The sound quality is pretty decent and gets me along just fine. It doesn't have different speakers in it and just virtualizes the sound.

Durable, yes! Mine have been jumping/ hopping/ falling all over my desktop/ floor (marble) and haven't given me any issues yet. The only issue i do have with them now is that the volume control thingy on the wire seems to have moved a bit out of place because sometime one ear would get less sound than the other and when I press the volume control knob a little it becomes fine. I think that's ok to be with considering the number of suicide jumps mine has made! :) 

Am i completely and brilliantly happy with? I'm gonna have to say 'no'. But I am decently satisfied with them after having abused/ molested them for over a year now! :D  I also have the blackwidow ultimate keyboard from Razer....THAT, I'm not happy with one bit! The keys keep getting stuck and its resulted in many a deaths in many a games!

Hope this helps.

P:S:- Members....is there something wrong with the website today?? Just that my typed content (alphabets) seem to be changing positions of their own accord!
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:04:02 AM

In all honesty ive been buying razer products for a while now and I have nothing but good things to say about them, they are tremendously great for gamers.

I have had other gear such as the logitech G9, g15, g19, g35 and the only one which I would happily say can match upto the quality of the razer products I have owned (megalodon, naga, nostromo, ferox, lycosa) is the G35 headset.

It seems theres alot of hate on these forums for razer and the only reason I can see is a few bad experiences and a high price tag.

As far as headsets go the g35 and megalodon are very similar, although in my opinion the megalodon gives better sound quality but has a looser fit than the g35.

For me, i prefer the tighter fit on the g35's so use them for gaming, I use the megalodons for listening to music while relaxing.

PS: I will be buying the Tiamats when they are released and will continue to use and recommend Razer to any gamer what isnt on a low budget.
m
l
February 24, 2012 12:30:48 AM

signor said:
In all honesty ive been buying razer products for a while now and I have nothing but good things to say about them, they are tremendously great for gamers.

I have had other gear such as the logitech G9, g15, g19, g35 and the only one which I would happily say can match upto the quality of the razer products I have owned (megalodon, naga, nostromo, ferox, lycosa) is the G35 headset.

It seems theres alot of hate on these forums for razer and the only reason I can see is a few bad experiences and a high price tag.

As far as headsets go the g35 and megalodon are very similar, although in my opinion the megalodon gives better sound quality but has a looser fit than the g35.

For me, i prefer the tighter fit on the g35's so use them for gaming, I use the megalodons for listening to music while relaxing.

PS: I will be buying the Tiamats when they are released and will continue to use and recommend Razer to any gamer what isnt on a low budget.

If you read more of the feedback about gaming headsets on these forums, you would see that it's not Razer-directed dislike. It's all gamer labeled headsets. They all have tremendous markups and awful marketing ploys and pale in comparison to similarly and sometimes far cheaper audio options.
m
l
February 24, 2012 1:45:26 AM

I've owned both the deathadder and the razer orca, both of which are a pleasure to use. I've owned both for almost a year, and they both have yet to show the slightest sign of breaking. In my experience Razer product are good quality products. They may have some high price tags for some of their products, but for the most part most of their is a good deal.
m
l
!